PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a digital camera upgrade?

General Phoenix
March 23rd, 2003, 03:30 PM
I am currently using a Sony Digital-8 Handicam, model DCR-TRV310, to shoot home movies and lighting/framing tests. I've been pleasantly surprised at the video quality, but I have noticed some really disappointing low-light video.

I'm looking for a camera that I can take outside and do night shoots with, and get good, solid black levels while maintaining sharpness and color quality. Any suggestions?

(Price range is anything up to $5000.)

Kakaze
March 23rd, 2003, 04:23 PM
The Canon XLs are used for indie films...I can't remember their price range, but they're generally considered the more professional of the DV cams on the market. 3ccd too.

General Phoenix
March 23rd, 2003, 05:46 PM
Did a bit of research on the Canon cameras, and I think I may end up going with either the XL-1 or the GL-2, both of which have the 3CCD technology (which gives both of them high resolution and excellent low-light capability) and a highly-recommended 16:9 mode.

Which of the two I buy will depend on how long it takes me to pay off my credit card. :)

Kakaze
March 23rd, 2003, 09:34 PM
Yeah, and they can do progressive video...at least the XLs can, I think the GLs can as well.

Hito
March 23rd, 2003, 09:58 PM
I've had friends rent the XL1 for projects and been really floored by the quality of video that comes out in even in low light.
I was even able to pull a pretty good chroma key off of an unlit bluescreen using it.
http://www.darkervisions.com/movies/dan_acts.avi

thats our very own Dan Crout BTW :D