PDA

View Full Version : Ptotr Velikiy - Connie competitor

Masao
March 30th, 2003, 09:21 PM
Here's my new ship WIP. This was built to compete with Connie for the new heavy cruiser contract of 2240. Had a larger reactor already in service which was carried in that separate engineering hull. Lots of components were developed separately from the spaceframe and also used in Connie. Could achieve warp with fusion reactors, so carried extra deuterium in ventral tanks. Lost competition but was still built in small numbers.

Not quite finished with the schematics, but pretty close. The final will be backdated to first-pilot specs.

Edited to remove link

Thomas P
March 30th, 2003, 10:17 PM
Wow! That's a great design, as always :D. I really like the engineering hull as it shows, to me, the lineage of your previous designs. It has a very smart look to it.

skyhawk223
March 31st, 2003, 05:44 AM
You can definitely start to see the big E in this design, especially in the nacelles. I really like this design. Too bad I can't pronounce the name :)

Thomas P
March 31st, 2003, 07:46 AM
lol - I had missed that part of the thread (just saw a rare TOS post). Masao, you come up with the most unique names for ships and classes.

Masao
March 31st, 2003, 04:00 PM
I had always wanted to name a ship Peter the Great, since he founded that Russian navy and all that. He was also mentioned by Chekov in Tribbles, so he's still remembered in the 2260's.?@Here's a list of Russian names if anyone is interested: http://www.webcom.com/~amraam/shipind.html Names are one of the fun parts of designing ships. Let's me show off all my fancy book learnin'!

According to my made up history, the Connie and this ship were competing be selected as the next big cruiser. Starfleet wanted certain components, such as the nacelles, bridge, deflector, computer systems, etc. to be designed separately from the spaceframe and just inserted as is. So, these common elements help make it look like a contemporary of the Connie. It lost the competition but was still built in limited numbers and converted for other missions.

Masao
April 3rd, 2003, 05:55 PM
Here's the finished version: *Edited to remove link* If anyone wants more views for model construction (with nacelles removed from side view), tell me.

Thomas P
April 4th, 2003, 08:32 AM
Could you please :D ? Also, a lower view would be helpful.

Masao
April 4th, 2003, 04:10 PM
I have to actually draw the bottom view. But the parts are all mapped out. I will send post them in a day or two.

skyhawk223
April 7th, 2003, 05:43 AM
You going to model this, Thomas?

Thomas P
April 7th, 2003, 08:55 AM
I'm always looking to build a Masao design :D. But... that should never stop you or anyone else from doing so.

I have had 3D block lately as I have been very busy trying to get some steady work. I have hooked up with a start-up (yes, there are still such things as start-ups) that is just getting thier collective act together. It's been a lot of work.

Masao
April 7th, 2003, 04:37 PM
The more the merrier! As Thomas says, don't let someone else's model prevent you from doing your own. This ship is basically a rearranged Connie, so shouldn't be too hard (as if I would know!).

Masao
April 7th, 2003, 04:48 PM
Here is what I hope is the final version. I fixed a mismatch in the nacelles between the top and side views: *edited to remove link*

skyhawk223
April 8th, 2003, 05:37 AM
I was hoping you would model it. Not sure if I can. That raised section on the saucer would kill me as well as the raised curve on the back upper surface of the saucer.

Masao
April 8th, 2003, 05:45 PM
The shapes are not actually so complex, or I couldn't draw them. The saucer's main mound is just a circular dome. The raised collar at the back of the saucer is basically a dome that has most of it cut away by a cylinder of the same size but shifted off center to the left.

skyhawk223
April 9th, 2003, 05:49 AM
Is the raised collar hollow underneath, or is it habitable space?
The main mound is not the problem, it's the raised section that runs from fore to aft, underneath the bridge module, along the centerline. The trick for me is making the front of that raised section blend at the edge. I might try to play with it, but don't expect much. Heck maybe I can get a neat set of nacelles from the exercise.

Masao
April 9th, 2003, 06:01 PM
The raised collar is the fore-runner of the extened back end of Miranda-class ships. I was thinking of putting some windows back there, actually.

That front section is not that complex either. Two concentric domes with the larger, outer dome cut away laterally to reveal the smaller dome underneath. They are both perfect circles, so don't match exactly with the forward edge of the saucer edge. It probably onl touches at one point. Don't worry about that.

Of course, having a set of Connie nacelles on hand is always a good thing.

Fabio
April 12th, 2003, 10:35 PM
Masao it appears that flare are taking a disliking to you outside linking to your image uploads - they're all showing a pretty direct message :(

Masao
April 13th, 2003, 04:16 PM
Is that not allowed? I thought that since this was a small private forum it would be ok. Well, I shall disable all the links. Sorry for any problem.

Fabio
April 13th, 2003, 11:06 PM
it's not a problem for us buddy - it's flare that seems to take offence to it - they obviously have some code that's stopping outside linking to any file uploads that have been done over there - replacng any links with a image saying that we're trying to steal their images! LOL

For example I could use the file upload at LWG and have the images display here fine - but flare obviously think that's an abuse of their file upload facility and replace it with an image of their design telling you off for doing it! ;)

Thomas P
April 14th, 2003, 07:28 AM
I originally had the same problem with the first image viewed. I just treated the link like a geocities link and it works fine.