PDA

View Full Version : oh my...

Sess
May 5th, 2003, 03:33 AM
long time no post...

well I've got bad news.
We've decided me and mom are going to learn to shoot at a shooting club. Actually, I am going to learn, mom is going to shoot. She knows how to already and likes to and is usually not bad at it either. And I'm going to learn to cuz I like weapons.

anyway you ask why that's bad news? well I'll tell you.

because the scar from the dagger from my collection that landed in my knee a year ago is still all red.
and a gun can do a lot more damage than a dagger.
I've actually talked to a guy on the internet a year or two ago who'd shot himself in his foot and apparently that's not something you want to do because (did you know? I didn't) your foot has got a real lot of all different bones and such... weird.

Chris B
May 5th, 2003, 03:56 AM
if you are afraid to shoot then don't! i don't see the sense in doing so anyways (leaving aside that it must be darned expensive)

Sess
May 5th, 2003, 04:05 AM
cutie, are you online?!

plug the damned modem out tonight so I can call you at last :)

Sess
May 5th, 2003, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by XmESs
if you are afraid to shoot then don't! i don't see the sense in doing so anyways (leaving aside that it must be darned expensive)

but I want to!
I'm just scared, but I want to

moovok
May 5th, 2003, 12:31 PM
Instead of buying a gun, how about just loaning a gun. You want to shoot, but to shoot you don't need to have one in the house, to accidentally shoot yourself in the foot with.

Instead, I'm sure the gun club will alow you to borrow a gun, therefore, be safe with it whilst at the gun club, and then you hand it in at the end of the day, and then no mishaps.

Best of Both Worlds. You still shoot guns, but you don't accidentally shoot yourself in the foot, whilst polishing it or playing with it at home (no sexual references at all where made during the making of this post)

Commodore-SirJohn
May 5th, 2003, 05:58 PM
Actually, a lot of gun clubs will store your gun for you, giving you the best of everything. That way, if you eventually become comfortable enough (or frightened enough) to actually want to carry it (if it's a handgun, and you have the proper licenses and permits) or store it at home, you can.

Also, it's unlikely that you'll be able to borrow a gun from the club. More likely, you'll rent it, at an exhorbitantly high rate.

Another piece of advice is, whenever possible, buy your ammunition somewhere other than the gun club. That's where they make their big money. Some gun clubs allow you to bring in your own, while others require you to buy it from them (much like the movie theaters with popcorn...).

Also, you should find a club with experienced instructors. Ex-military, especially those who have served as instructors during their service time, are especially good at putting people at ease.

Trust me, if you have a good instructor, you won't shoot yourself in the foot. I learned how to shoot in the Boy Scouts, from a guy who had just finished a four-year hitch in the US Marines. I don't shoot much, but I remember everything he ever taught me...

Sess
May 6th, 2003, 06:19 AM
I think the first time or two we'll shoot with a borrowed gun anyways.

and after that we'll see whether I'll still want to shoot. well.
besides I'm not even sure I'll be allowed to learn before 18

Chris B
May 6th, 2003, 02:24 PM
in germany you are allowed to learn but you may not own a firearm under the age of 21. the changed the law after what happend in columbine high and other places in the states and mostly because something similar happend here, namely in Erfurt.

the new laws completel forbid pump-action-weapons as well.