PDA

View Full Version : A Malicous Attack? or Not...

EBOLII
May 17th, 2003, 06:39 PM
So I never before had this problem but as in the last week within a few hours like 2-3 I seem to be chewing up my bandwidth on my server wich only hosts images......and as of today only 4-5 of them of WIP nature yet I am still eating up bandwith?.......This I do not buy!
So what do you guys think? Is it possible? If so how to detect?

Oh and if your comments are get a better server then don't bother wasting my time this service has been really good

General Phoenix
May 17th, 2003, 06:48 PM
See if you cna get a hold of your server's access / activity log. Maybe you can find out who has been causing that jump in bandwidth - chances are you have an image leecher or something...

I'm sure Fabio or Kier would know more about how to track down the problem.

Kakaze
May 17th, 2003, 06:56 PM
There's a new virus running around that's been playing havoc with some servers. It's called Fizzer apparently.

Fabio
May 17th, 2003, 08:55 PM
first of all objectively analyze the BW that would be generated by an image

for example a 100K image viewed by 500 people in one hour will generate 50Mb of BW in just that hour

likewise 4 wip images at 50K a piece will generate 100Mb for the same amount of hits in the same period - it'snot uncomoon for a image to get thousdands of hits in just one day - depends on your popularity?

If after such analysis the BW useage still seems extortionate - see if you can get a good webstats analyser to show what images etc.. are getting all the hits - it may be that you have a file leech there somewhere - there are ways to stop image leeching if you find that's the problem :)

Chris B
May 18th, 2003, 01:34 AM
if fabio is right, which is likely to be the case, you might afterall want to switch the host - if you have a lot of traffic you won't get around paying for it.

for example, until i switched servers recently, i had 25GB of traffic free per month. I never used that up, because dd3d is not that big (250 visitors daily), but i did have 1 gig of traffic per week. most free hosts don't allow that i would think.

Alex
May 18th, 2003, 12:13 PM
If you have a leech, the last person I knew who had that problem dealt with it by putting the most vile pic he could find in its place... shall not repeat what that was.

General Phoenix
May 18th, 2003, 01:58 PM
Ah yes - good ole' Devilman. Not the most constructive way of handling the situation, but it worked.

phish
May 18th, 2003, 02:16 PM
I saw someone put a hand drawn pic up instead of the proper one once.