PDA

View Full Version : And a third Sternbach design from the [i]Spaceflight Chronology[/i]...

Commodore-SirJohn
June 10th, 2003, 03:09 PM
Here's a sublight ship, the Tycho Brahe:

http://www.totmm.com/tycho_brahe.jpg

I'll likely be adding some windows to the spherical section in the next update...

skyhawk223
June 11th, 2003, 05:26 AM
Nice so far. Are you going to apply some textures? The current paint is too uniform. Perhaps it is the lighting as well.

Commodore-SirJohn
June 11th, 2003, 05:27 AM
Yeah, some texturing will be going on in the next revision. Also some cargo doors.

Commodore-SirJohn
June 19th, 2003, 07:01 AM
And here it is:

http://www.totmm.com/tycho_brahe2.jpg

Next up is some greebling on the front, since Sternbach put some antennas and a navigation dome on it...

BTW: Those windows around the forward end of the sphere are about the same size as those on the DS9 Promenade, which gives an idea of just how big this ship is...

Triton
June 22nd, 2003, 02:22 PM
Really like it. :drool:

Thanks for rendering my favorite designs from the Star Trek: Space Flight Chronology. Obviously inspired by the starship designs of the British Interplanetary Society in the 1970s which were powered by R.W. Bussard's intersellar ramjet concept. Yes, the same Bussard after which the bussard collector is named in TNG.

Any chance of rendering the Mann, Baton Rogue, or Marshall classes? Wasn't there also a three-nacelled Truxtun class in that book that looked pretty cool.

Alas for my copy of the Space Flight Chronology. :cry: I hate it when I get talked into getting rid of things during a move.

Commodore-SirJohn
June 22nd, 2003, 02:29 PM
AAGH! I know how you feel. My copy of Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise got tossed during a cleaning some time ago... :cry: (You may find a copy at a con, but only the bigger ones.)

I have started work on the Marshall class, but the side and top don't match up, and there's no real info at all about what's between the nacelles...

The Baton Rouge will be difficult, as will the Stellarford class starliner, since they only have top views available. The Mann class will be ridiculously simple, really, until it comes to the texturing. Then it'll be brutal.

And the three-nacelle design was the Tritium (named for the three-electron isotope of hydrogen). I may take a shot at that on down the line...

Triton
June 22nd, 2003, 02:43 PM
I have had some success in finding this stuff at some used books shops that are about 45 minutes driving time from where I live.

I managed to find a hardcover book-club edition of Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise for $5.00. You can imagine that I didn't need to take much time to think about that purchase. :drool: And a very battered and worn copy of the Starship Design magazine created by the Starfleet Prototype people.

Thanks for the real name of the Tritium-class. After seeing the endless parade of cut-and-paste Constitution-class and Akiraprise kitbashes, I am starting to remember the designs in this book with a lot more fondness. :D

General Phoenix
June 23rd, 2003, 07:33 PM
Hey John, if you want, I've got a copy of "Mr. Scott's Guide" I'd be happy to give you - the paper slipcover is a bit abused, but it's in otherwise fine shape.

Just PM me if you're interested...

Commodore-SirJohn
June 23rd, 2003, 07:39 PM
:what:

Done.

Though I'm surprised anyone would offer to GIVE a copy of that away...

:shock: