PDA

View Full Version : A rant about - The BBC

Kai
September 23rd, 2003, 10:43 AM
well.. the BBC's TV guide 'the Radio Times' is now 80 years old. and in a poll of readers, 31% voted to see Doctor Who brought back to our screens.

This will not happen. Since the BBC axed the good Dr in 1989, they've repeatedly ignored calls from the public - their viewers and captive funders - to bring back the series, rather concentrating on sport, inane sitcoms, gardening shows, quiz shows and makeover shows such as 'changing rooms'. bascially cheap, cheerful and no brains required. (this is the entertainment area of the BBC - not the News or Documentary Unit)

It is sad that the BBC, the creator/Co-Partner of such fine shows as Blackadder, Doctor Who, Red Dwarf and other classics now ignore what the viewers want, stating that the viewers 'get value for money' - for those that don't know, the BBC in funded by 'the TV Licence'. If you have a TV, whether or not you can recieve the BBC in any form, it is illegal to not have a licence, to date 2.7 billion pounds a year. - now ignore their own polls on what viewers want in favour of what the high ups think we want.

A recent death in the original TV stakes was the new series Strange, a kind of UK X-files set round a defrocked priest. The BBC gave it one season, and in all face of logic, (high viewing figures), axed it.

right now, I wish I was in the US. there at least you get SF and good drama's (CSI, Six Feet Under etc). Here we get drivel or repeats or what ever the US TV companies are selling cheap at the time. You are getting (for better or worse Battlestar Galactica revived and Enterprise). In the UK, there's talk of a Blake's Seven revival. 'maybe. we're thinking about it. look there's a website with flashy graphics... sometime next year maybe if we can get the funding... please stop asking us!' and thats it. there is NO SF TV in production in the UK at this time. None. Nada. Zippo.

sorry I just needed to rant. Normal programming will resume shortly with Changing Rooms, a repeat of Open All Hours followed by 8 hours of soccer.

ARGGHHH!!!

Kakaze
September 23rd, 2003, 11:16 AM
Hey, it sounds like the BBC is run by Bonnie Hammer!

I quite like the comedies we get over here, however... Plus, A&E has been showing MI-5 which is a really good spy drama. Only 16 episodes of it though, silly british 6 to 10 episode seasons.

Kai
September 23rd, 2003, 11:23 AM
hmm you mean Spooks? (the UK name)
I'm sure thats only the first season...

Kakaze
September 23rd, 2003, 11:32 AM
Yeah, Spooks. I forget they changed the name.

From what I understand the first season was 6 episodes and the second was 10.

Kai
September 23rd, 2003, 11:38 AM
hmm maybe... lol
ok I can understand the name change..but...

it's MI5... no hypthen lol why they put that in I don't understand...

Kakaze
September 23rd, 2003, 11:47 AM
:shrug: That's how they have it.

It's a good show regardless. It's such a shame all the shows we get from you guys are relegated to cable networks, or redone as american shows, like Coupling, which starts this thursday.

General Phoenix
September 23rd, 2003, 12:28 PM
I have hope for the US version of Coupling, since the UK version's producers are producing the US version - but I wonder what will happen when they've finished re-cycling the original scripts and have to start coming up with something original.

Kakaze
September 23rd, 2003, 03:00 PM
Well, Queer as Folk got really good once they finished the original British scripts, so, maybe that's a sign that Coupling will be good as well.

moovok
September 23rd, 2003, 04:00 PM
I have to admit, I was a bit annoyed when I heard they cancelled Strange, cause they left it on a cliffhanger. What is it with shows leaving things on cliffhangers. Farscape, Strange. It's like with Gladiator, right after Gladiator, mostly every hero in the film died at the end, so every film I saw, I said "gonna die at the end" and they did.

Anyway, not to complain, but ain't this in the wrong forum anyway? It's TV related ain't it?

Kai
September 26th, 2003, 06:28 AM
okay... it's chrrrriiiisssstmmaaaaasss!!
just to prove me wrong the BBC announce this!

http://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20489

Doctor Who is coming back!

now I'm off to bounce off the walls celebrating!

Proximo
September 26th, 2003, 10:11 AM
Perhaps they saw this thread. :D

General Phoenix
September 26th, 2003, 01:56 PM
Yeah, it's probably just an elaborate campaign of mis-information designed to torture Kai. :)

Kakaze
September 26th, 2003, 03:07 PM
Not just Kai, me too. I love Doctor Who.

Oh, BTW, GP, did you see Coupling last night?

It was extremely boring and contrived in the beginning, though it started picking up towards the end. The restaurant scene was good. What'd you think?

General Phoenix
September 26th, 2003, 04:38 PM
I thought it was alright, and had I not seen the British version, I would have liked it a lot more. It just seemed odd hearing those lines in the wrong accent. However, I did like the small changes they made for the new version, such as Jeff asking Patrick for the comdom. On the other hand, the guy who plays Jeff just doesn't seem to have the right mannerisms for such a quirky character - this is the kind of roll that Matthew Perry would be great in.

Overall, I like it - I just like the Uk version a lot better (and the British Susan is 10 times hotter than the US Susan. I Just had to say that. :) )

General Phoenix
September 26th, 2003, 04:39 PM
Oh, BTW, is is just me, or does the guy who plays Steve seem extremely uncomfortable in the role? He's the only person I don't really like...

Kakaze
September 26th, 2003, 08:33 PM
I haven't seen the british version, however, it is just the pilot, so... Give it a few more episodes at least.

Sess
September 27th, 2003, 12:01 PM
what is "doctor who" ?

Kakaze
September 27th, 2003, 02:17 PM
:hyperventilates:

:tries to control rage:

:is quite unsuccessful:

:turns green, and huge, and starts to pummel Liz for asking such a blasphemous question:

Chris B
September 27th, 2003, 03:03 PM
chris, that was way before her time, and before mine too. don't blame her for not knowing.

you don't know russian television shows from the 80s either.

General Phoenix
September 27th, 2003, 06:30 PM
That's a good point - Hell, if I hadn't moved to Texas and found a really good PBS station, I never would have discovered British television at all.

Kakaze
September 27th, 2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Chris B
chris, that was way before her time, and before mine too. don't blame her for not knowing.

you don't know russian television shows from the 80s either.

Sure I do!

I loved Comrads, great show about 6 people living in the heart of Moscow, always complaining about having to queue up for bread and getting beaten by the KGB for it.

Then there was The Odd Lenins... Pyotr Lenin, a communist, shares an apartment with Vladislav Lenin, a communist, and hilarity ensues from their two completely different views.

Then there was Baikonur Trek, a story about the triumph of the Red Army over the US and eventually the entire galaxy, bringing hundreds of alien races under the all powerful banner of the Sickle and Hammer!

Chris B
September 28th, 2003, 02:09 AM
you perfectly illustrated your limited knowledge. :what:

Chris B
September 28th, 2003, 02:23 AM
funny piece of art by Andrej Fillippow (ÀÃ*äðåé Ôèëèïîâ, i assume. liz should know better)

http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,295764,00.jpg
it represents the last dinner of jesus and his fellows, under the light of an atheist CCCP

PS: switch your codeing to Russian to see the cyrillic letters.

Kakaze
September 28th, 2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Chris B
you perfectly illustrated your limited knowledge. :what:

You perfectly illustrated your lacking sense of humour. http://members.aol.com/kakaze/squeeze.gif

Proximo
September 29th, 2003, 04:10 AM
He's german, give him a break. ;)

Ok, bad joke... I've heard german humour, it's actually quite funny in a dry sort of way. Suits me. :)

Chris B
September 29th, 2003, 07:20 AM
what you call humor is a bit too shallow for me :P

Commodore-SirJohn
November 16th, 2003, 08:12 PM
Bad (or Good, depending on your POV) news, Folks. NBC has canned Coupling.

Apparently, the British humor just didnt' translate to an American production...

Kakaze
November 16th, 2003, 08:38 PM
British humour can translate quite well, as long as they have actors and writers good enough to handle it.

Though if this is fairly faithful to the original Coupling I'm surprised anyone liked it to begin with. None of the characters were interesting, they were all complete stereotypes, which usually does make for good comedy (Whoopie's new show is based almost entirely on stereotypes, but there's more to it than just that, which makes it funny and interesting) but these were just stupid.

Sess
November 21st, 2003, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by Kakaze
Sure I do!

I loved Comrads, great show about 6 people living in the heart of Moscow, always complaining about having to queue up for bread and getting beaten by the KGB for it.

Then there was The Odd Lenins... Pyotr Lenin, a communist, shares an apartment with Vladislav Lenin, a communist, and hilarity ensues from their two completely different views.

Then there was Baikonur Trek, a story about the triumph of the Red Army over the US and eventually the entire galaxy, bringing hundreds of alien races under the all powerful banner of the Sickle and Hammer!

HAH! But you don't know the most important and famous series of all times, which is 17 moments of spring, or Shtirletz!!!!

HAH!!! *points and laughs*

actually the only thing that was on TV in the late 80s were santa barabara and that cheesy mexican soap series where they whipped the pretty white lady cuz she fell in love with a black slave.

When Shtirlitz was broadcasted however, police said they saw there was even almost no crime during those hours. Because everyone was watching Shtirlitz. It's about a brilliant spy, in Germany, who grew up in Germany himself but whose father was Russian. It's based on a no less brilliant series of books, which actually write a very sad life for the poor man. (After the war, he gets accused of betrayal and his wife and son are killed and all his friends are never heard of again after their arrest, and the like)
http://www.igorkalinin.com/stirlitz/index.ru.html you can download some of the books here.

Shtirlitz also happens to be the one and single most made jokes about subject in russia.

And lucky me, mom's getting me the full series on VHS!!! :D for my birthday

Here's a photo of him btw:
http://www.igorkalinin.com/gears/images/stirlitz.jpg

Kakaze
November 21st, 2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Sess

And lucky me, mom's getting me the full series on VHS!!! :D for my birthday

What, no DVD?

Sess
November 21st, 2003, 03:25 PM
DVD is more expensive... If you can get VHS for like 2 Euro a piece in Russia, and a DVD for 60..

the series is only 17x40 minutes long. that's 3 tapes.