PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of the new Galactica...

Dennis
November 7th, 2003, 03:36 PM
...from the December CFQ article about the Moore/Eick miniseries are on-line now at www.subspacebbs.com .

Personally, I like it -- it looks a lot more like the old one than the displays on the command center set made it appear.

Proximo
November 8th, 2003, 04:22 AM
It's tiny.

Kai
November 8th, 2003, 09:17 AM
....?

tiny??

Proximo
November 8th, 2003, 10:16 AM
Compared to the old one it looks very small. I don't like it. :)

Kakaze
November 8th, 2003, 11:05 AM
I think it's ugly.

The old one is one of the most distinctive ships in Sci Fi history...this looks like some cheap ass knock off. Well, that's what it is if you think about it...

Kai
November 8th, 2003, 12:12 PM
ok.. first.. how does it look smaller than the old one? there's nothing else in the pics to compare sizes to...

and secondly.. lets leave that to the guys over at Colonial Fleets and keep 3DG Neutral on the issues surrounding the new BSG. There's too much scope for flamewars in discussing the merits / demerits inherent in the whole thing....

Chris B
November 8th, 2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Kakaze
I think it's ugly.

i wish to add nothing. i planinly agree.

Dennis
November 8th, 2003, 02:08 PM
I like it for the most part. On the subject of big and tiny, do you suppose they have a scale worked out for this ship? They never really did, for the original Galactica -- there's at least one Galactica site that's devoted some attention to trying to resolve the issue of how big the ship was, and IIRC they decided it was pretty damned huge.

November 8th, 2003, 08:56 PM
i think it looks damned sweet. nice design, and an excellent modeling/texturing job.

Fabio
November 11th, 2003, 07:07 PM
thank you

Proximo
November 12th, 2003, 08:34 AM
You did it? Um... *runs away*

Well anyway, the scale of the old ship was very obvious from the tiny windows that pointed about on it. I don't see obvious windows on this which, at least in my mind, suggests it's a lot smaller. Then there's those ribs, which seem overscaled for a large ship. Finally the missing struts on the launch bay which suggests a small ship. In my mind at least...

I mean obviously it's a nice model and well built. I just don't like it. :)

moovok
December 9th, 2003, 09:48 AM
Can I ask, why do we have a TV section in this forum, when it's never used and instead people post it in General Discussions?

Don't mean to moan, but... come on people!

JasonA
December 9th, 2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Fabio
thank you
why are you saying thank you?

Kakaze
December 9th, 2003, 12:48 PM
WHy not get rid of the TV section then. There are too many forums for the number of posts we have anymore anyway.

----

Jason, I think Fabio was one of the modelers.

moovok
December 10th, 2003, 10:37 AM
I think the TV Section needs to be used more often. Therefore, this post has been moved to it! :)

Stu
December 12th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Thx338, you must not have watch the Battlestar Galactica Lowdown close enough. They said they were doing a retelling of the Galactica story from the beginning. It would have nothing to do with the '79 series. And as far as any similarities to Star Trek.....I didn't see any. If anything, it was more closer to Babylon 5 (which in some ways is better than Trek, I said some). None of the ships in the Galactica mini-series (or '79 series) bares in similarities to the starships of Trek. The new Cylon raider looks more like Batman's Batwing plane from the first film than the Jem H'dar ships. If you ask me they were more closer to ships in Star Wars, considering the man who designed a lot of the ships for the classic trilogy did designs for the '79 series. So I don't the reason to compare this with Star Trek and slamming Trek and the Galactica mini-series at the same time. Are you a former Trek fan that got ticked off? Other than a few things that bothered me, I enjoyed the Galactica mini-series.
Also a quote from you-
"They wanted new fans? they'll get em, but they'll be those trekkie geeks livin in their parents basement who are still upset that noone wants to watch enterprise."
I find this offensive. I have been a Trek fan since I was 4 (I am now 26). Since I was 19, I have been on my own, not living in my parent's basement, and I am going to be getting married next year. And for your information, I know several other Trek fans who don't lead the life that you seem to think all of us "trekie geeks" do. I' m not saying that you're not entitled to you opinion about what is on TV, but when it comes to how someone lives their life and stereo-typing them when you don't even know them is rude. Never judge a book by its cover.

Peace, long life and may the Force be with you.

Dennis
December 24th, 2003, 09:46 PM
I was enormously impressed by the new version -- having read the script, I expected to be -- and hope that they're able to continue it. Certainly the ratings success of the miniseries and the largely-favorable critical response to it will encourage them to try to find a way to go on. There's really been just about no ambitious, thoughtful science fiction on television in over a decade, and the new BSG is unique in its sophistication right now.

Darrell Lawrence
December 27th, 2003, 05:24 PM
Fabio said thank you because he, Don Bergren (Titon) and a few others from 3DG's annals of history modeled the new "G" for Zoic.