PDA

View Full Version : Freighter/cargo carrier designs

skyhawk223
March 8th, 2004, 05:45 AM
Anybody have some links to TOS or pre TOS freighter or cargo carrier designs that have yet to be modelled? I looked at EAS and other sites but didn't see anything that hasn't already been done.

Masao
March 9th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Those are few and far between. The TOS freighter designs of Harry Dodema (Prakesh) and Kris Trigwell (Reverend) have been done. I have one small ship on the transport page of the museum site ( http://www.starfleet-museum.org/small_transport.jpg ) but I'm not entirely happy with it. You could also try USS Huron ( http://img5.photobucket.com/albums/v22/Masao/usshuron2004.jpg ) . It's been done twice, by Mateen Greenway and "Atrahasis), but that shouldn't stop you. (See huron stuff on this page: http://www.startrekanimated.com/tas_ep_pirates.html ).

skyhawk223
March 10th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Interesting ideas. The Huron shouldn't be too hard to do with all those flat edges.

Masao
March 10th, 2004, 03:55 PM
The Robot cargo ships hasn't been done in a while either Thomas7g did one years ago, but that's the only one I've ever seen. I have the David Winfrey schematics; if you'd like a copy I can scan them for you.

thomas7g
March 10th, 2004, 06:44 PM
If you do decide to redo the Robot Cargo ship I just wanted to warn you, that big superstructure on the top is drawn differently in two different views. Otherwise its pretty consistant. Though the windows are like HUGE. You can almost fly the Galileo through one. :D

Masao
March 10th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Thomas, are you saying that's a problem with the published Winfrey blueprints. That's perhaps why I had such trouble when I redrew them.

thomas7g
March 10th, 2004, 08:43 PM
I never saw them. I just know from frame capturing the show and building it that the superstructure is thinner in a profile shot but wider in a 3/4 view. If I remember right.

Masao
March 10th, 2004, 08:51 PM
I just checked my screen caps. Yes, you remember correctly. In such cases, I usually go with the straighter/orthographic view. The Winfrey blueprints (sold by Omega Graphics) choose the thinner superstructure as well.

skyhawk223
March 11th, 2004, 05:14 AM
Thanks Masao. I will keep it in mind. Want to see what I can do with the cruiser project before starting something else.

thomas7g
March 12th, 2004, 01:11 PM
I just checked my screen caps. Yes, you remember correctly. In such cases, I usually go with the straighter/orthographic view. The Winfrey blueprints (sold by Omega Graphics) choose the thinner superstructure as well.
If I remember right, I went with a medium inbetween look. Though I think I sould have been brave and gone with the profile view. :)

I never saw the Winfrey blueprints. But I would be willing to bet your drawings could give them a run for their money. :D

Masao
March 12th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Actually, I pretty much traced the Winfrey blueprints. I'm lazy.

skyhawk223
March 15th, 2004, 06:18 AM
Tsk tsk :)

Masao
March 15th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Oh, like you never traced anything before.
Hmph! (sign of indignation!)

skyhawk223
March 16th, 2004, 06:01 AM
Not since fifth grade ot thereabouts. I realized early on that I could not draw worth a darn, even after a try in some art school, so I didn't even bother tracing. What would I do with it?
Don't worry, you have quite a portfolio of your own work. We can let slidew a little tracing now and then.