PDA

View Full Version : More Trek tech on the way...

Thomas P
August 4th, 2004, 06:26 PM
Lost the article that this is specific to but saw another Trek Tech article the other day. This one involved an upcoming test on a directed energy weapon that STUNS people it is fired at. Apparently it is one of two competing technologies the US is looking at deploying. The first other one they referenced creates a painful burning sensation that goes away as soon as you leave the area the weapon is directed towards. The one they talked most about also can DISRUPT electronics and set off Imporvised Exposive Devices. You set the weapon to specific frequencies to disrupt tech or knock out people. Apparently the neural networks in our brains have specific frequencies that can be messed with that are different from those that run our heart and other vital organs.

The kicker is that the US is concerned about actually getting these in an arsenal because the UN and other countries see this as cruel weapon (which means we have to keep using 50-cals I guess). These things have been used in trials already but this appeared to be in a package suitable for use in the field.

This joins, to my knowledge, the following Trek Tech stuff:

Communicators
Bio-beds
Shields (yep and now also Polarized Plating i.e. Enterprise)
Transporters

And for a real stretch: sub-space (FTL) communications

What others?

Masao
August 5th, 2004, 04:59 AM
Yeah, there was something about nonlethal weapons in the NY Times today, I think. The US is developing a sort of stun gun in which the charge is sent along a stream of ionized gas rather than through wires or electrodes as with Tasers. Another weapon was a sort of microwave device that heats up the water in your skin and produces a severe burning sensation but no physical damage. Ain't science wonderful?

skyhawk223
August 5th, 2004, 07:35 AM
I've heard of the microwave based weapon. If you want non-lethal, it's a good way to go. Of course with too much power it becomes very lethal.
This one may relate more to Star Wars, but what about ion engines? They are in use now on a few satellites. Did ion based propulsion ever come up in Star Trek?
Don't forget holographic emitters.

Thomas P
August 5th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Yes on Ion engines and I was thinking about that today. Remember that classic Trek episode Spock's Brain !!!!! The ship they encountered used Ion power (which seemed sooo advanced to them).