PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre September Holidays

dfalconet
September 6th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Sept. 2 is National Beheading Day

Sept. 5 is Be Late for Something Day (I'm even late for this holiday!)

Sept. 7 is Neither Rain nor Snow Day

Sept. 10 is Swap Ideas Day (WOW what a concept?)

Sept. 13 is Defy Superstition Day

Sept. 14 is National Cream-filled Donut Day

Sept. 18 is National Play-doh day

Sept. 21 is World Graditude Day and International Banana Festival

Sept. 26 is National Good Neighbor Day and National Pancake Day ( I'll take some of each)

Set. 28 is Ask a Stupid Question Day

Any Questions?

skyhawk223
September 7th, 2004, 06:26 AM
Well, September 7 is not holding up to it's holiday as it is raining slightly here in NYC.

dfalconet
September 7th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Bummer. We need to have a chat with the weather distributers! I would gladly take your rain and send you bushels of sunshine with which we here in California are OVERLY blessed. In fact consider this post to contain 3 bushels of virtual sunshine...........If you're really not in the mood for sun, foreward it on to someone who needs it...................................Darlene

skyhawk223
September 8th, 2004, 06:04 AM
Well, here's an update. Torrential rains this morning led to water on the subway tracks here in drenched NYC this morning leaving commuters to their own devices (legs). I now post sitting in front of a fan trying to dry my soaking pants. The forecast for tomorrow calls for heavy thunderstorms as we get the remnants of hurricane Frances. The weekend looks good, however.

dfalconet
September 8th, 2004, 10:36 AM
Well, here's an update. Torrential rains this morning led to water on the subway tracks here in drenched NYC this morning leaving commuters to their own devices (legs). I now post sitting in front of a fan trying to dry my soaking pants. The forecast for tomorrow calls for heavy thunderstorms as we get the remnants of hurricane Frances. The weekend looks good, however.
On second thought, you can keep your rain. A rain like that would likely wash the whole Owens valley down to L.A.

We are subject to flash flooding here as witnessed by what happened in Death Valley a few weeks ago.

Hope you have an exciting but safe day........................................Darlene

dfalconet
September 8th, 2004, 10:38 AM
P.S. Having water on the subway tracks sounds dangerous. Is it?

General Phoenix
September 8th, 2004, 05:34 PM
So far so good for September 7th - not a drop to be found here in Texas...

skyhawk223
September 9th, 2004, 05:49 AM
Water on the tracks is not a good thing, especially when it energizes the electrified third rail. I would assume, however, that power would be cut given a situation like this. I didn't stick around to find out!

dfalconet
September 9th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Water on the tracks is not a good thing, especially when it energizes the electrified third rail. I would assume, however, that power would be cut given a situation like this. I didn't stick around to find out!
:cool: Discretion is the better part of valor.................

dfalconet
September 9th, 2004, 01:40 PM
Here are some more bizarre Sept. holidays that somehow got left out. Remember, tomorrow is Swap Ideas Day. Be ready with your "witty comments", "Words of Wisdom", etc.

Sept. 9 is Teddy Bear Day

Sept.11 is No News is Good News Day

Sept. 12 is National Chocolate Milkshake Day

Sept. 15 is Felt Hat Day

Sept. 16 is Stay Away From Seattle Day and Collect Rocks Day

Sept. 17 is National Apple Dumpling Day

Sept. 19 is National Butterscotch Pudding Day

Sept. 20 is National Punch Day

Sept. 22 is Hobbit Day and Dear Diary Day

Sept. 23 is Checkers Day and Dogs in Politics Day

Sept. 24 is Festival of Latest Novvelties

Septs. 25 is National Comic Book Day

Sept. 27 is Crush a Can Day

Sept. 29 is Poisoned Blackberries Day

Sept. 30 is National Mud Pack Day

For all of you who are not U.S. citizens, the word" National" pertains also to YOUR country of origin or residence.

dfalconet
September 11th, 2004, 08:48 PM

Is your weather better now? Did you ever open the sunshine I sent? Did your pants ever get dry? What have you been doing lately anyway?

We need to keep up to speed on all this stuff you know.

dfalconet
September 11th, 2004, 08:59 PM
So far so good for September 7th - not a drop to be found here in Texas...

Did you get any rain yet? Haven't heard from you in a while. What have you been up to? Something fun I hope

General Phoenix
September 12th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Nope - no rain. But I did have a chocolate shake from McDonalds on the way home from work today. :)

Speaking of - every McDonalds around the Dallas area seems to make "Choco-Berry" shakes, because they never clean the shake machine. Has this happened to anyone else, or is it just a southern thing?

I remember the McDonalds shakes in Iowa actually tasting like chocolate...

skyhawk223
September 13th, 2004, 06:19 AM
I haven't had a McDonalds shake in years, so I can't help you there. Doesn't sound bad, though.

Yes, I opened the sunshine, just in time for the weekend. Awesome weather.
Pant dried just int time to go back outside and get them wet again. Looks like the remnants of Ivan will be on tap for Friday and Saturday, though. Time to purchase some waders.

dfalconet
September 13th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Thank you for the update. Good to know you made it through. Will be expecting another update after Ivan to let us know how and where you are. Would hate to think you might have been washed away to...........................Where would you wash away to from there?................Darlene

skyhawk223
September 14th, 2004, 06:39 AM
The Atlantic. But chances are minimal of that happening.

dfalconet
September 14th, 2004, 07:48 AM
Maybe you need to buy an ark instead of waders....Just funnin' with you. I know it could get to be very serious..........be safe.................................Darlene

skyhawk223
September 15th, 2004, 06:32 AM
Compared to those guys down on the Gulf coast, it's nothing. They are in for a heck of a time. Hopefully the storm will die down some prior to landfall.

dfalconet
September 15th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Yes, it is scary! On AOL this morning there is a news item about the storm, evacuations, etc. Accompaning the story is a picture of a large sign saying "Welcome to Pensacola Beach" Under that in huge, lighted, red letters it says "EVACUATE".......What a welcome.

Welcome/Evacuate=Oxymoron. If you are interested in knowing what this is all about, see the thread I started at www.startrekfrontiers.net in the General forum. The thread is named Oxymoron.

Have a good day.....................................Darlene

dfalconet
September 18th, 2004, 06:08 PM
We just had an eathquake here. Not a bad one. But is was so neat to be able to go on the internet right away after it and find all the statistics about it. High Tech is wonderful sometimes..........Just had to share this with someone...........................Darlene

skyhawk223
September 18th, 2004, 06:22 PM
What site do you go to to get the seismic facts? Sounds interesting. What was the quake rated?

dfalconet
September 18th, 2004, 09:55 PM
Is that first question straight from Dragnet? It sure sounds like a Dragnet question. Rats! You may be too young to know Dragnet. Anyway, it cracked me up! :0) (Just the facts Ma'am). Was so good to see you had been here this evening. I missed by Skyhawk fix this morning. Sorry to be rambling so but the quake has me "all shook up".

Now back to reality. I visited http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/ . The home page deals with California and Nevada but further down the page are links to other areas of the U.S. and around the world.

The facts on our quake are: Magnitude 5, sustained 2.1....four miles underground....epicenter just barely on the Nevada side of the Nevada/California border, 20 miles east of the town of Lee Vining, Ca. which puts it about ll6 miles NE from my house. We did not shake hard here but it lasted quite a while. It also showed after shocks of mag. 4 and 2 which we could not feel here.

This is a very interesting site to visit if you have an interest in earthquakes. It shows the fault lines and every thing. The map itself shows every recorded quake for the last week and its magnitude. This past week there were 435 recordable quakes in Calif and Nev. The magnitude is determined within 4 to 5 minutes after the quake and updated within 1-5 minutes of the quake or once an hour.
There is also a section to tell you how earthquakes got on the maps. Really fascinating!!

I wonder if someone will blame this on Hurricane Ivan too?

Hope your weather is stabilizing into something nice.......................................Darlene

Darrell Lawrence
September 19th, 2004, 08:07 AM
There is also a section to tell you how earthquakes got on the maps. Really fascinating!!

Short story long... errr I mean long story short:

They shook up the map makers until the map makers put them on the maps.

;)

skyhawk223
September 20th, 2004, 06:21 AM
That sounds like a good method. Were the map makers still shaking when they updated the map? Would that explain all the squigly lines?

Oh, and thank you, thank you very much...

-Detective Friday.

dfalconet
September 25th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Dear Detective Friday,

How did you know that? Was it from the original programs, reruns, or the movie? Just the facts now, no running around the issues...........I confuse easily :confused: .........One time I went to find myself and got lost. :roll: ..................Darlene

skyhawk223
September 27th, 2004, 05:59 AM
I've picked up a few things ver the years. Never saw the film.

dfalconet
September 27th, 2004, 09:45 AM
You should see the film if you get a chance. Darrell recorded it from TV and I didn't even know we had it. Watched it for the first time on Saturday evening. It is a comedy with Dan Akroyd and Tom Hanks. I thoroughly enjoyed it and recommend it.................FDIMH.............Darlene

General Phoenix
September 27th, 2004, 11:58 AM
I love the Dragnet movie. I've got it on DVD.

Favorite line:

Woman on Bike - "Call me."

Det. Streebek - "I have to - I'm wearing your underwear."

Darrell Lawrence
September 27th, 2004, 12:31 PM
My fav parts were they kept calling the girl "Virgin" until the end. When questioned about it, Friday gives Streebek the sly expression ;)