PDA

View Full Version : Finally!

Thomas P
February 3rd, 2005, 10:46 AM
Enterprise has been cancelled! I could not be happier to se this show go! I have seen enough episodes to know it was crap and was an insult to the hordes of real fans that had built the franchise to the success it had. I guess my biggest grip had been with the gross deviation from established history we have all come to accept. Many critics, in advance of the shows airing, predicted it would fail if only for this main point. I think the rediculus stories and wooden acting helped too :laugh: .

Other than 21st century effects that looked nice the show had very little going for it. The saddest part, however, is knowing that this show has likley tarnished to franchise enough to keep any new version from ever going into production.

Well, I can take comfort in knowing that our shared vision is still safe!

Masao
February 3rd, 2005, 05:51 PM
I've only watched a handful of episodes from the first and second seasons, but I thought they were all terrible. It wasn't just the revisionism, the lack of any sense of history, and the lack of creativity in reusing everything from earlier series. The writing and the characters were also unappealing. So, while it's sad to see any Trek show cancelled, I think "Enterprise" needed to be destroyed to save Star Trek. Star Trek can now start over without Berman and Braga. Star Trek will be back, but when and in what form, who knows?

Thomas P
February 4th, 2005, 05:28 AM
I've read rumors that J. Michael Straczynski (creator and writer of Babylon 5) had been approached to do a new Trek. He has as much as said this on some boards that he is involved. I'd welcome this as I think he would have a more Roddenberry like approach to the franchise.

skyhawk223
February 4th, 2005, 07:18 AM
They had approached JMS several years ago. He turned the opportunity down because of other projects he was working on.

The first 3 years of Enterprise were blah. This season has been a bit better with Judith and Garth Reeves Stevens writing a lot of the episodes and Manny Coto's involvement. He has been delving into story lines that were hinted at in TOS. The latest episodes are delving into birth of the Federation stuff with the Andorian, Tellarites, etc. Coto wanted to get into the Romulan war, but looks like that will not happen. An upcoming episode will explain why the Klingons look different between TOS and the movies.
Overall the series has been much better this year. Too bad it seems to be too late.
What bothered me most was the design of the ship. I just cannot reconcile that to the TOS look.
I watched it every week, but had to put aside most of the history written by TOS.
Thomas, have you been watching the new Battlestar Galactica?

Thomas P
February 5th, 2005, 06:13 AM
BG - No, I have not had the time and am very sad about it. The movie was great and the new cylon angle seemed to be a wondeful plot device. I have heard it is doing well. I wonder if NBC will carry it? They aired the movie a few weeks back.

skyhawk223
February 7th, 2005, 06:05 AM
It's only on the Sci Fi network. The re-run of the pilot was only on NBC for promotional purposes.
However, one might think that if it does well enough on Sci Fi, NBC might pull it out to the network for better visibility, sort of like what happened with bringin SG1 from Showtime to a broadcast network.

Thomas P
February 7th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Actually, that was silly thought on my part. Since NBC owns the SCIFI channel it would impact the revenue for the channel to pull it over. It would make more sense to syndicate it down the road as they do with SG1. They could also bring Atlantis over.

skyhawk223
February 10th, 2005, 09:05 AM
It would be nice if they did since that would increase the potential audience. However, they probably feel that sci fi is still too much of a niche market.

Alisa
April 26th, 2006, 01:38 PM
An upcoming episode will explain why the Klingons look different between TOS and the movies.

This was one of my favorite episodes - I have been wondering for YEARS how they explained that. It was nice to see that mystery resolved.

I was never really crazy about Enterprise - my least favorite Trek series. I'm now surviving on DS9 and TNG reruns on Spike TV, but would love to see a new series. Doesn't seem too likely right now, though :(

evil_genius_180
April 26th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Enterprise was fun in my book. I loved seeing them bumble around in the 22nd century. And, it did clear up some questions - like the one about the Klingons (even though the real reason was more simple: money :D ) Granted, it wasn't as good as TOS or TNG, but it was at least as good as DS9, which I have on DVD, and the parts of VOY I saw. I have the first 2 seasons of ENT on DVD and I like 'em. :D