PDA

View Full Version : Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy discussion.

shugotenshi
June 14th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Did anyone watch the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy movie that came out recently?

Any comments?

And how did the movie compare to the book in your opinion?

Darrell Lawrence
June 14th, 2005, 10:09 AM
I rarely go to the movies anymore... takes a major event for me to go.

This is one that I'll be looking for on DVD when the time comes though :)

moovok
June 14th, 2005, 03:45 PM
I loved it, I'm half way through the book, I rarely dabble in reading books to be honest, but so far I prefer the movie to the book, and the soundtrack was ace "Thanks for all the fish" - best song EVER!!! Needs an Oscar Win!

General Phoenix
June 14th, 2005, 06:30 PM
I think you mentioned the old BBC series in another thread, right? That was actually much closer to the books than the new movie, but I think that sort of stifled the acting in it. To be honest, as much as I love the books, I'm the first person to agree that a book doesn't always translate well to a film without a lot of tweaking.

Which is why, even though the new Hitchhiker's Guide film is different from the book in several respects, I actually like it more than the BBC series. Having said that, like any other fan of the Guide books, there were scenes that I really hoped would have been in the film that were cut out.

On the other hand, I just enjoyed watching Zooey Deschanel onscreen for 90 minutes. :)

shugotenshi
June 14th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Yes, in the middle aged tread.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/hitchhikers/

I only saw a few episodes of it on the web.

McAfee2000
June 15th, 2005, 08:05 AM
As for the new movie - it was okay. I like the homage to the old Marvin from the series as he was standing in line to do paperwork on Vogon. I actually prefer the series to the movie, since it is complete series for all three books. It would have been nice if they had done the fourth. I would have loved to see Dent fly. The new movie had its pluses, but I think for people who had never read the books or seen the old series it would have been too strange for them. Douglas Adams, may his dry wit seep throught multiverse, was a little warped in his humor. His humor requires some background sometimes to get, and on the other hand its English dry humor. He did this in Doctor Who when he wrote for them, and he did it in the Hitchhiker Guide Books. Don't forget your towel, and DON'T PANIC :walmart:

skyhawk223
June 15th, 2005, 01:33 PM
I have not seen it yet. WIll definitely see it on DVD as I'm not sure it is playing around here anymore. Loved all 4 books of the trilogy. His humor is brilliant. My favorite line - "...tastes almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea."

moovok
June 15th, 2005, 03:14 PM
They say that each thing is different, radio is different from book, book is different from tv, tv is different from movie, so every incarnation is totally different from the previous one, some added, some taken away, but at least Douglas did contribute wildly to this film and hopefully a second comes out of it... fingers crossed...

McAfee2000
June 16th, 2005, 02:06 PM
I wish he could have contributed to the movie. It would have been much better. I really don't see another film coming up unless its to video/DVD. It's too bad - I sort of like the new vogons with their shallow personalities. The one on the series had - dare I say it - had more personality.

Kai
June 16th, 2005, 08:40 PM
I wish he could have contributed to the movie. It would have been much better. .

he did. the script was mostly his, done before his untimely death..

catlin_mc
June 20th, 2005, 07:30 AM
It's a film I must go see if ever I have some time.
By all accounts it was very good so I think it will be well worth the wait. :alien:

Skullsplitter
June 27th, 2005, 08:10 AM
I disliked the movie - to my mind the only correct pieces of casting were Stephen Fry as The Book and the world weary sounding Alan Rickman as the voice of Marvin. The main problems are the film tries to cram in too much, Ford is relegated to being a minor character, when he should be one of the major characters and the happy ever after boy gets girl ending.

Bring back the TV series, It was corny, the sets wobbled, the animatronic Zaphod head malfunctioned, but it was better than this garbage.

kenposan
August 6th, 2005, 07:29 PM
I'll wait for the DVD. I loved the book, hated the BBC movie. Not sure it is a book that translates well to the screen.

McAfee2000
September 21st, 2005, 11:58 AM
I saw the DVD out so good shopping for those who were waiting for it.

Proxy
October 8th, 2005, 05:38 AM
SPOILER ALERT!

My favourite bit was when they get hit by rakes for every idea they got. LOL.

The rest of the movie was awesome in graphics but a little off the original two parter VHS series. Like the ship design was cooler in the two parter. Thats my opinion but everyone has the right to their opinion... Anyone agree?

Kai
October 9th, 2005, 04:20 AM
seen it. it was all there. everything they needed for a great movie. except... someone had gone through the script and removed 90% of the jokes. re-written entire scenes that did'nt need to be touched (and ruined them) inserted a plot that made no sense at all, and completely ****ed up the design of the Heart of Gold.

description in the book - "Like a sleek running shoe".....erm.. a sphere is a running shoe?

Proxy
October 9th, 2005, 05:29 AM
seen it. it was all there. everything they needed for a great movie. except... someone had gone through the script and removed 90% of the jokes. re-written entire scenes that did'nt need to be touched (and ruined them) inserted a plot that made no sense at all, and completely ****ed up the design of the Heart of Gold.

description in the book - "Like a sleek running shoe".....erm.. a sphere is a running shoe?
Oh so agree with you!

blackaxe
February 12th, 2006, 04:49 PM
I thought it was an excellent adaptation of the original story (as opposed to the BBC miniseries, which is three hours of my life I want back). Anything new that was added to the story helped give it a cohesive plot.

Gray
February 17th, 2006, 04:36 PM
like the film....prefere it in its original medium though - the radio series.......speaking of which did anyone catch the fith installment of the trilogy - the last part of the Hitch Hikkers that Douglas Adams managed to write before he died?.....liked the way they brough back all the original cast apart from Peter Jones who sadly died a while ago.....but if he had been in it....that would have been great.........and i guess in the film it would have been great to have him too..although Stephen Fry wasnt at all a bad choice as "the book"

dunstvangeet
March 13th, 2006, 07:55 PM
I liked the movie. I thought it was a fun movie, but I wouldn't call it a great movie. It's definently something you do not need a big-screen to see it.