PDA

View Full Version : Any Babylon 5 fans here?

CBSection31
July 12th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Hey everyone, just wondering if there are any other B5 fans here, and if so, do you also like Crusade, the spinoff series? I have yet to see it and am trying to decide whether to bother renting it. Thanks in advance for your opinions! :)

Redgeneral
July 13th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Only managed to see the first episode of Crusade, but it seemed good

Thomas P
July 14th, 2005, 05:20 AM
Crusade was allright. I believe it sufferred, like Firefly, in that some episodes were originally aired in the wrong order. I would have liked to see where the story was going with the little box that talked to Captain Gideon.

moovok
July 14th, 2005, 01:29 PM
I didn't like the end of Crusade, it was too much CGI without the greatness, so it looked rubbish. However, I joined the B5 fans after the Shadow Wars, so I can't wait to watch that on DVD

skyhawk223
July 14th, 2005, 04:11 PM
I enjoyed B5. I also enjoyed Crusade although it needed more time to grow into it's own series. I would definitely rent it and watch it in the order it was supposed to be seen in. Hard to believe that was 6 years ago already.

kenposan
August 6th, 2005, 07:25 PM
love B5, never got into Crusades.

McAfee2000
August 31st, 2005, 11:47 AM
Crusades had about 8-9 episodes. It's mission to save the earth from a Shadow disease that was slowing killing everyone on Earth. They have one year to find the cure. The clock is ticking. You win - you die scenario. The Crusades just didn't go anywhere with the short time it had. It did come up with a few good characters like the techno mage, and the weird archeologist looking for relics. Beyond that, I wish it had lasted longer, or a made for TV movie to finish up their mission. It would be nice to know where they found the cure, and who/what tries to stop them.

waxxel
October 9th, 2005, 11:04 AM
I was a huge fan of B5 right from the begining. I loved the whole mystery behind it and the overall story arch. I like ongoing series like this and it was good to see DS9 do the same. I'm not one to debate which was better or who ripped off who, I liked both B5 and DS9. I would never take B5 as the anti-trek that Firefly I guess tried to be. However I feel there is room enough in the Vers for all. While B5 suffered from low production value, it more then made up for it in story. Man, JMS wrote every script for 3 seasons. You don't get much better then that and he had Harlan Elison as an advisor.

angerdog
October 11th, 2005, 02:54 PM
I was a big fan of B5, but for some reason or other could not get into crusade. I'm not sure why though, I loved the universe, choice of actors and the characters. But just the same I couldn't seem to get into it. Possibly because you allready knew the outcome of everything thanks to the finale of the original B5. I still plan to get them on dvd if possible though, for completness sake.

Harbinger
October 12th, 2005, 10:04 AM
I too was a big fan of B5, and have to admit I was deeply moved by the final episode (I think it was originally shot as the fourth season finale). Crusade wasn't bad, but it definitely deserved at least a second season. Legend of the Rangers, on the other hand...

dolphinius
October 12th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Hi there, first post and it is in this area.. Great series B5 was and Crusades was good but like what was previously said it suffered from lack of care by the network that was airing it. It could have been better and carried on the legacy of B5 if only, like now, Science Fiction was taken more seriously. I would rent it just to get a different perspective and for the effects..All pretty good.

Darrell Lawrence
December 28th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Tell your friends- An all new B5 discussion area is now up here at 3DG ;)

Holodoc
January 2nd, 2006, 10:49 AM
I loved B5 when it was on tv on a regular basis. :) I even enjoyed Crusade. I have all of B5 on dvd including the movies that have been released onto dvd. I also got Crusade. Wished it had lasted longer than 1 season.

skyhawk223
January 3rd, 2006, 08:25 PM
I agree. I think Crusade had a chance, but the studio killed it by releasing the eps out of order. I remember the angst that caused back in 1999.
I have all of the B5 episodes on tape, but they probably are no longer viewable due to age.

Darrell Lawrence
January 3rd, 2006, 08:31 PM
Having never watched any B5 stuff the first time around, I have just finished Season 2 of the DVDs.

Holodoc
January 3rd, 2006, 09:00 PM
I have some of the B5 episodes on vhs tape that I had bought when they became available in groups of 3 episodes at a time. Most I think are from season 1. Not sure what to do with them now that I have all 5 seasons on dvd along with the movies. Only B5 movie I'm needing now is "Legend of the Rangers" on dvd.

VidFX
January 8th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Aye I loved B5, when i could see it, but the TV company kind of lost interest, and showed only the last few episodes in a single week to conclude the series. :(
I have tried to catch up on the web, but with so many fan sites, and fan created 'continuing stories' I am confused as to exactly what is what :!:

Holodoc
January 8th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Aye I loved B5, when i could see it, but the TV company kind of lost interest, and showed only the last few episodes in a single week to conclude the series. :(
I have tried to catch up on the web, but with so many fan sites, and fan created 'continuing stories' I am confused as to exactly what is what :!:

Have you checked into getting the DVD's or seeing if the vhs tapes are still available?

Holodoc
January 8th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Here are a couple of websites that I have come across that might help a little also.

http://www.b5tech.com/

http://home.flash.net/~smabry/docs/b5.htm

skyhawk223
January 9th, 2006, 06:31 PM
So Warrior, what do you think so far?
I really enjoyed the stories and the overall arc.
I don't exactly remember the seasons anymore. Is Sinclair still in charge?

Darrell Lawrence
January 9th, 2006, 07:06 PM
sky, just started S-4. I'll be starting threads on the eps/stories/etc, so you'll get my thoughts there ;)

Holodoc
January 9th, 2006, 07:09 PM
So Warrior, what do you think so far?
I really enjoyed the stories and the overall arc.
I don't exactly remember the seasons anymore. Is Sinclair still in charge?

Sinclair was only in charge during the first season if I remember right. He may have been in charge for awhile during season 2, but Sheridan took over as the station CO & by the 5th season Sheridan was President of the Alliance & Lockey was in charge of the station til the end of the series.

Darrell Lawrence
January 9th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Sinclair was first season only.

Sheridan came in right from the start of season two.

I didn't really care for how that was handled. I really liked, and actually preferred, Sinclair over Sheridan.

I was so happy seeing Sinclair return in "War Without End", the conclusion of the Babylon 4 episode from season one.

Holodoc
January 9th, 2006, 09:03 PM
tee hee! :) One of the episodes I liked I think it was an episode for Crusade. It is when Lockley was in charge of the station & the Excalibur comes to the station for a visit & Lockley takes the Captain of the Excalibur down below section of the station. They had made a bet that she wouldn't be known by anyone out of uniform in that area of the station & then he is shocked when the food vender they stop at refers to her by name. :)

VidFX
January 10th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Here are a couple of websites that I have come across that might help a little also.

http://www.b5tech.com/

http://home.flash.net/~smabry/docs/b5.htm

that really does help, but to be honest I would rather watch than read, one can't really appreciate the special effects in text :(

Holodoc
January 10th, 2006, 06:51 PM
VidFx... do you have any of the B5 episodes on tape or dvd?

VidFX
January 14th, 2006, 12:16 PM
VidFx... do you have any of the B5 episodes on tape or dvd?

Not a one, but I do have a good visual memory.

I started to watch B5 as a client once said "I want it just like..." so I had to watch to see like what! then got hooked on the story line (day of the dead was great).

But trawling the web, finding refrences to B6! etc. does get very puzzeling ;)

Darrell Lawrence
January 14th, 2006, 12:40 PM
To help with *some* of the FX visualization, take a look in the Gallery :)

As for B6, some old friends of mine create a 3d model of a B6 station.

VidFX
January 14th, 2006, 12:51 PM
...As for B6, some old friends of mine create a 3d model of a B6 station.

Ah, I was wondering where that came from, kind of thought that I might have missed something.

Holodoc
January 15th, 2006, 07:16 PM
VidFX... Just sent you a PM.

apereira
March 26th, 2006, 04:34 PM
A pity such a good series came to an end!!...at least officially

apereira
March 26th, 2006, 04:35 PM
I am one...I think... :)

VidFX
March 28th, 2006, 12:13 PM
A pity such a good series came to an end!!...at least officially

What ya mean 'Officially' ?

is there more, lurking out there unseen by me!

apereira
March 28th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Naahh! nothing apart a few home cooked fanfics!
But nothing like the original series, at least for me!!!! :D

VidFX
March 28th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Naahh! nothing apart a few home cooked fanfics!
But nothing like the original series, at least for me!!!! :D

Ah Fooey... had me all excited there :nuts:

Slagar
March 30th, 2006, 12:15 PM
I'm happy to say I just picked up the B5:Movies DVD set, and I've been happy as a clam. I had them all taped on VHS from when they aired on TNT, but there's something that's just better about DVD. Another good thing is that I've finally replaced my Gathering/In the Begining DVD that was lost a while back. Now I just have to get Legend of the Rangers to complete my movie collection. =D

apereira
March 30th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Nothing beats digital quality that's for sure, still.....VHS gives me a little nostalgia, having to be on the run if I wanted to tape those episod :smile:

Gojira
June 7th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Babylon 5 and Bruce Boxleitner rule . . . !

Skullsplitter
July 20th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Babylon 5 & Claudia Christian rule.

Of all the characters in the show my favourites were Garibaldi & Ivanova (not necessarily in that order).

I like the fact that B5 has flawed characters, really bad things happen and things aren't put right at the end of the episode (unlike any next gen Star Trek show.)

It was the first TV show to use CGI for visual fx & virtual sets & the aliens didn't all look like humans with wrinkly foreheads (a la next gen trek).

Despite the fact that Joe Straczynski is an atheist, a lot of respect was shown for various religions (unlike trek because Rodenberry hated most organised religions).

The acting was for the most part very good & the writing was brilliant (apart from a few naff episodes, which Joe has offered to apologise for personally at conventions).

I would love to see more in the B5 universe, but until I can mug Bill Gates for a couple of Billion Dollars, I can't see it happening (TV execs just don't seem to like quality Science Fiction (too cerebral for them I think).

Nexus
October 28th, 2006, 05:58 AM
I'm B5-fan!

...and Whitestar-fan!

gmd3d
October 28th, 2006, 08:44 AM
I recently got the first 4 seasons .. watch them back to back .. Twice :) a great show . epics of TV wish we had more like them ..

Cheers

McAfee2000
November 16th, 2006, 01:28 PM
I for one am a B5 fan - loved the story lines and the show. Have almost all of them on tape and want the DVD's badly.

morganzacd5p
November 16th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Big fan of the soundtrack... Not so much the show

gmd3d
November 16th, 2006, 02:15 PM
No ?? At first I disliked it .. but a few years ago had a lot of time to my self and started to watch again .. but darn it grew on me ....

smike
November 14th, 2008, 06:58 PM
hi

i am new here but is a total babylon 5 fan..
I have my own website with the biggest database and informations on babylon 5 on the internet..

visit here http://www.smikesworld.dk

One of the reasons i love babylon 5 was the great characters and storyline.
and also the many humoristic events made in the series..

I am happy because they have started to make new episodes called "the lost Tales" but sad that they have desided not to continue the "crusade" episodes..

The Crusade episodes is really good and reminds me of star trek in the beginning where the enterprise is exploring new space..
sorry to say they only made 13 episodes even thoug there is written material for 5 seasons..
i loved the "Excalibur" destroyer witch is in my eyes is one of the best spaceships made in any sci-fi series..

i make 3d models and have made more than 60 different babylon 5 models which can be seen at http://www.3dvia.com under "smike"

Darrell Lawrence
November 16th, 2008, 05:50 PM
If you'd like to make your models available here, you can upload them into whichever category.

And welcome aboard!