PDA

View Full Version : New Posting Requirements for Downloads

ktaylor
September 5th, 2005, 08:49 AM
I think the new requirement that one must post five messages to the forum before they can upload or download is excessive. I can understand the desire to require visitors to participate more fully in everything that is offered by this site, but what if I really don't have anything useful to say. Won't I just become an annoyance as I try to get in my 5 obligatory posts?

What if I simply post variations of the same message five times? That's not particularly useful to anyone...

scaramanga
September 5th, 2005, 09:50 AM
*looks at your post count*

I vote even higher ... :p

Darrell Lawrence
September 5th, 2005, 12:05 PM
*looks at your post count*

I vote even higher ... :p

I agree. Maybe I should change it to 25 QUALITY POSTS.

ktaylor, many folks put a lot of time and effort into creating these models.

To have folks like you just show up, download and NEVER be heard from says a lot.

Model makers like to see their work put into art. By requiring you to post before being able to download does a few things for us and the modelers-

For the modelers, it makes the chances of you posting some art with their models go up a bit.

For us as a website providing models, it makes it a bit easier for us to track who's here just for the models and don't really want to contribute anything, *and* it helps us in finding plagerists.

skyhawk223
September 6th, 2005, 08:01 AM
jtaylor, if you wanted change, what you are doing is exactly the WRONG thing to do. 5 quality posts is not really that bad. There are several topics for discussion here. Surely you can find one that you have an opinion on and if not, create one.

PsyckoSama
September 8th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Five :lol:

ktaylor
September 8th, 2005, 04:02 PM
The point is, not all posts are good posts. Asking for five posts does not guarantee five meaningful contributions to the community. Why not just be content to use downloads as a way of getting people to the site and then be content that only those who have a genuine desire to comment do so rather than opening the discussion forum to disgruntled vistors who just want to post five and then get the file they've come for.

Many people (like myself) are simply not interested in taking part in forum discussion. I'm interested in creating images. The 5 post minimum may be causing many visitors who may have come back.

If you want feedback, it may be a better idea to require visitors to rate images instead of come up with posts. It would be less time consuming for those of us who don't really want to become part of the forum and would still encourage broader participation in the site.

ktaylor
September 9th, 2005, 10:31 AM
The reason why I'm here is that I'm looking for a home for some character morphs I've created. The arrogant, bullying tone of the replies I've recieved here convinces me that this is absolutlely the wrong place to post. The "Don't like having 5 posts? Well, you're gonna hate having 25!" attitude is far from welcoming.

And to the person who chided me for "doing exactly the wrong thing," what is exactly the "right" way to protest a decison that I think is ill-advised? Shutting up and and smiling as I do as I'm told doesn't seem like a very effective way to draw attention to the problem.

General Phoenix
September 9th, 2005, 03:38 PM
ktaylor, I actually held your same opinion when we first redesigned the site and Darrell (Warrior) setup the 5-post rule. I assumed that it would lead to nothing but 5-post spamming threads from people who would then zip off to the download section and go nuts. That has happened several times, of course, but I have been pleasantly surprised by those who have become regular members. Because of this rule, we have gained a few very good artists, including K0stya, who is quickly becoming a personal favorite of mine. Had he not been required to at least register and introduce himself, he may never have become part of the group. It definitely benefits us to have an artist of his caliber posting regularly, and from his posts, I get the sense that he's enjoying our little community.

You say you like to create images? Feel free to post some of them for us to see - you may be surprised at how well we react to a simple introduction and sharing of work.

wallsjk
September 11th, 2005, 07:02 AM
Hello all, I am more or less new to actively pursuing serious 3D modeling. I have dabbled with Poser (started w P2), Vistapro, etc. and am now currently using Poser 6, Terragen, and others, and doing composite/postwork using various paint programs. I will confess to being a "drive-by downloader". I have visited some sites looking for models - and left. Other sites, I have joined and become a regular visitor, admiring other artists' work, and rating and commenting upon ocassion. My personality is not so much that of a "talker" but I respect the desires of any site that I visit. 5 posts is not an outrageous number to request for the privilege of downloading that sites models, meshes, textures etc. The price is definitely less expensive that paying for the same materials at connercial sites. I pay at sites that require a "$" purcahse and I will post at sites simply requiring a little of my time and input. That's my perspective anyway. And I see many downloads here that are more than worth a few posts. So i will look to becoming a active member/poster here. Maybe not overly so, but at least to some degree. That's my perspective anyway.

biotech
September 11th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Hi, I am new to this board but not new to 3D, some of you may recognise the name, for those of you that dont I'll be happy to answer questions.

biotech
September 11th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Hmm got 5 posts and still cant download the poser figures, I wonder what I am doing wrong?

scaramanga
September 11th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Maybe someone needs to check if they have quality in them

biotech
September 11th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Damn if posts need quality I could be in trouble!

Breea
September 11th, 2005, 02:07 PM
It's a good thing then that I'm just happy reading all of your posts...because when it comes to downloading,uploading or loading of anything..i'm totally...S*****...LOL So you all keep up the good work you're doing and I'll do what I do best..." READ " :biggrin:
breea

Santee
September 11th, 2005, 02:31 PM
I need to get to 5 posts so I can put my Avatar back . . D'0h!
Santee

Elminster_ZK
September 12th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Yes. It sucks. THis post is #3 for me. TWO MORE TO GO!!!

DarkPilgrim
September 13th, 2005, 12:33 AM
Personally, I see nothing wrong with the 5 post requirment. Well, other than the fact that I am new to 3D modelling and I do not have very much to say on the matter. Not yet anyways.

clownsmighteatme
September 14th, 2005, 09:45 PM
Well, at least it sparks folks into reading the different forums to see wheere they may be interested in posting. I don't think 5 is excessive at all. Sometimes you gotta work a little to get what you want instead of leeching.

skyhawk223
September 15th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Bingo!

Stahlratte
September 16th, 2005, 08:17 AM
Weeell, honestly I don´t like my arm twisted to post, but I can understand the reasoning.

I´ve given away some chararcter morphs on Posetteforever, and got up to 40 downloads on some and not a single "Thank You".

I now usually give away my stuff on Renderosity directly in the forum, so folks who want the download link actually have to PM me for it. This way I get nice replys, make contacts, and also can solve problems more easily.

Not everyone can create meshes , make morphs or a character, so there will be always those who just download , but at least everybody can say "Thank You" when he receives a gift.

stahlratte

clownsmighteatme
September 16th, 2005, 09:25 AM
You're right, Stahlratte, not many people have the talent or knowledge to do these things. That's one reason why freebies are so popular. I tend to find myself collecting quite a few freebies myself (I suppose I'm a software pack-rat), but I usually thank folks for the work they did to make my life easier.

I'm dabbling a little into creating meshes and templates myself but the really high-end modeling software is priced out of reach. I'm making do by learning on Ray Dream Studio, Photoshop, Bryce and Poser. There aren't a lot of good tutorials so I have been reverse-engineering clothing to figure out how they make certain designs. I'm trying to learn, just looking for good resources.

biotech
September 16th, 2005, 10:29 PM
I still cant download anything, are the downloads broken?

Are there any mods or admins out there?

clownsmighteatme
September 17th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Did you do something to piss off someone?

Just kidding.

Santee
September 17th, 2005, 09:44 PM
I still cant download anything, are the downloads broken?

Are there any mods or admins out there?

I just downloaed the Enterprise E . . seems to be working fine .. ...

Santee

ktaylor
September 20th, 2005, 02:07 PM
I think you have to adopt a "pay it forward" attitude when providing freebies for other users. The freebie you contribute today repays people who helped you in the past as well as helping to make a stronger 3d art community for the future.

Yeah, I know that people don't say thank you. Out of the over 900 people who have downloaded my "Alterra Hair" and "Pullback Hair" from Renderosity in the past two weeks, only four have written -- and one of those was to get help in unpacking the zip file. However, that's fine by me. I don't think I would want to deal with over 900 people saying thank you. I get satisfaction out of knowing that 900 people liked my freebies well enough to download them. I look forward to seeing my hair in other peoples images. I hope it inspires people to do creative artwork and/or provide freebies of thier own some day.. Other than attracting traffic to your website, I think that's the most you can hope for from freebies.

And -- I feel compelled to add -- requireing 5 posts doesn't guarentee you'll get any more feedback than you're getting right now. The requirement may discourage many visitors from even browsing.

ktaylor
September 20th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Thank you for inviting me to post images here -- That's friendly and inviting and not at all arrogant or bullying -- However, my hands are full right now. I'm in the midst of a massive project to provide illustrations for a long-running ST:TOS series called "The Valjiir Continuum." All my 3d illos are currently going there.

Although the lady who runs the site does not require feedback, she (and I) would be overjoyed to recieve some. Here is the address if you'd like to visit:

http://www.valjiir.us/
(Warning: Adult content. No one under age 18, please.)

andy
September 26th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Yes I agree too

Markus_2000
October 27th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Ive been coming to this site for almost 2 years.
I see both sides of the debate.
I guess you gotta do what you need to do.
I'll post when I have something to say (like now).
I don't see forcing people to post having a positive benefit.
Some people come here to see what's going on or what folks are working on and some people come here to get free downloads.
I'm sure that the hope when somebody posts "you can find it at http://www.3dgladiators.net" in another 3D forum that the person looking for the download will join and participate more in the discussions and such.
This place has the best collection of Star Trek related Poser stuff I've seen and that in and of itself is something to be proud of.
5 posts is still almost free. :)

(Only 2 more to go)

marcuseurelius
October 29th, 2005, 04:09 AM
Well there you go, 5 posts before you can dload.
Can see both sides:
gives artitsts feedback
BUT
encourages posting for the sake of post count(s)
4 to go...

Breea
November 16th, 2005, 07:01 PM
I may wind up with more then 25 posts but not sure how much of a quality post s it will be..since most everyone knows i'm total devout of any understanding of what happens here..LOL.or better yet of how to acomplish anything...

Breea

Jin_Kazama
November 29th, 2005, 08:50 AM
chippps

Jin_Kazama
November 29th, 2005, 08:51 AM
el hijo premirero

Jin_Kazama
November 29th, 2005, 08:52 AM
hello !

gfunk
December 15th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Just kidding. I agree that it is necessary to require participation in the site and encourage sharing of work done with the materials found here. but i also agree that 5 posts is excessive. in addition, restricting uploads seems a strange choice. if one uploads content isn't that more of a contribution than posting a comment?

gfunk
December 15th, 2005, 03:33 PM
great content guys

gfunk
December 15th, 2005, 03:34 PM
is this cheating

gfunk
December 15th, 2005, 03:34 PM
i don't mean to take advantage of this awesome site...

gfunk
December 15th, 2005, 03:36 PM
it's just that i only got poser a few days ago and i really just need to learn how to use it before i can say anything informed or useful... but have no fear, once i've mastered it i fully intend to share the wealth and the knowledge!

cts
December 25th, 2005, 04:57 PM
It at least gives some incentive for users to see what the forums are about.

Ellenwood
January 4th, 2006, 03:10 PM
I'm new, and personally I don't mind the 5-post limit. I'm above it now, and still can't d/l. Que pasa?

melamkish
January 7th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Would I have stopped by to post first before downloading if there was no limit? Probably not. Would I have returned later after downloading and examining what was available? Probably.

Why?

I'm new to the 3D world since about August. Really haven't done much due to computer problems, but those are fixed and I have been looking for content that I would really like to work with. Mainly sci-fi in the areas that this board appears to harbor (my favorite shows). Since I, like many others like me, work full time at non-art related jobs, I do not have the time to post everywhere I go. So I bookmark the sites I visit that look like promising places to "hang out", check out a few downloads, comeback and look at galleries, read some forums, and then if the "flavor" of the place is friendly, helpful, and mentoring in nature, I join and start posting. Oh, and the forums have to have subjects that I think are worth posting to.

After 22 years in the Navy's nuclear propulsion field on submarines, I am highly technically oriented and take that approach to everything I do. I look for "how to do it", "tutorials", "techniques", etc. Have I found what I am looking for here that would make me return? Haven't had a chance to find out yet. Spent the last hour or so just trying to wade through a couple of forums to find something to reply to. Since I am a new "artist", I don't have a whole lot of technique to discuss, and as far as asking questions, I know how to read the manuals and tutorials that come with my software...FIRST...so I know what really to ask. Although there is no such thing as a stupid question in my book, a person should do their own homework, first.

So, back to the original question of a 5 post limit. I am neutral on the subject to perhaps, slightly negative. Will I return after 5 posts and getting a chance to check out a few downloads,... do your homework (reread the post). The few pieces of art that I have seen so far, are SUPERB. If the downloads prove to be as good as the art that was produced by them, then I will probably be back.

_
Great caution is required of he who delibrately treads on the tiger's tail. -Y Ching

Jericho32
January 20th, 2006, 05:12 PM
I think you guys have a wonderful site and artist do a great job on their models.
and you requires forces people to converse with the community a bit before hauling off and downloading a free model to use. I think every site should have these requirements.
People espeically poser users need to be a little more supportive of the hard work that prop and other 3d artist do.
after all it be quite hard for me to kick out a good trek image in poser with out some of the stuff made by others espeically props.

blows my mind at how people want something free but never want to express there opions or even read a few post to see if there is a topic in which, their feedback might be appreicated by the artist or the coummunity.

Metryq
January 26th, 2006, 02:51 PM
I'm dabbling a little into creating meshes and templates myself but the really high-end modeling software is priced out of reach.

I know the feeling. I was lucky enough to learn 3D on-the-job, so the company purchased the hardware and software. One low-priced learning package is the 3D Toolkit from dvGarage. (http://dvgarage.com/) I worked with ElectricImage at the company where I started, then bought Maxon's Cinema 4D on my own. ElectricImage (now called "Universe" -- tacky) has an excellent ACIS modeler. Unless you have an app that can convert engineering formats, you'll be restricted to using your models in Universe. Universe is actually very easy to learn and has a beautiful rendering engine. Great for the beginner.

I'm also taking a shot at Martin Hash's Animation Master. (http://www.hash.com/) It's got excellent features for the price. There's also free apps like Blender, although I haven't even touched that yet.

Darrell Lawrence
January 31st, 2006, 06:48 PM
...and it states you must have 25 quality posts...where? Or are you ASSUMING that's the rule when I SUGGESTED *maybe* I should change it to that?

This is a tired old argument/debate.

The 5 post rule is there, period.

For those having problems after the 5 posts, double check your cookies and make sure you don't have two of them from 3DG.