PDA

View Full Version : Devilmans Startrek Australia Back Online

TrekCross
April 8th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Do any of you Founding Fathers still have any contact with Andrew Hodges? His site is down and I tried contacting him about 6 months ago and never got a reply so did not know if anyone else still had any contact with him.

Darrell Lawrence
April 9th, 2006, 06:15 AM
I haven't talked to him in a while, but have him on ICQ. I can check to see if he responds there after I get off work in 8 hours ;)

jolhof
April 10th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Any news on this yet?

Darrell Lawrence
April 10th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Not yet.

morganzacd5p
December 12th, 2006, 07:46 AM
He's Baaaaaaaack

http://startrekaustralia.co.nr/

gmd3d
December 12th, 2006, 12:45 PM
No he's not .. that some one from Sci-fi mesh has reposted it ......

Much people around the web have deep regrets that the domain www.startrekaustralia.com has been gone so suddenly. Nobody has been able to clearify it, and to be honest – I haven’t myself. No, I am NOT Andrew J. Hodges. Andrew DOES deserve all credit for this website, and to keep it that way, I remain anonymous. Ofcourse, I will try as hard as I can to keep up this website and frequently update it, as the last update is from 18th October, 2004. I will check every little part on the website, and, as you may have noticed, there is now a link to the trekmeshes forums. I hope for now that everyone will enjoy the return of this fabulous website. Oh, and please, tell me about anything that's wrong on this website. Or suggestions for change. It's really appreciated. Email me at startrekaustralia.admin@gmail.com.

evil_genius_180
December 12th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Yeah, Devilman (Hodges) suffered a PC blowup or something of that nature. The last time someone at SFM talked to him, he was working on getting a new PC.

gmd3d
December 12th, 2006, 01:46 PM
The site was one of the first Star Trek sites I ever regularly went too

evil_genius_180
December 12th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Yeah, me too. I started at the STMC and found it in the links area. :D

morganzacd5p
December 12th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Yea... Sorry, didn't read totaly through the intro page.

gmd3d
December 12th, 2006, 11:54 PM
happens ... Morgan but its nice to see it up again in a fashion :)

gmd3d
December 27th, 2006, 03:25 AM
the difference is it not Andrew Hodges that has it back up ...... but someone else over at Sci-fi meshes ..

Star Dragon
December 28th, 2006, 09:44 AM
This was such a sad event, like losing a friend. The quality and amount of meshes stored there was staggering! I remember browsing link after link just to feel my brain bleed. (why are you looking at me like that?)

erico
January 16th, 2007, 02:58 AM
Well, Star Trek Australia is definitely back up now, and it's awesome to have it back. Between that and trekmeshes.ch I was quite sad to see them go, and it's great to have both back again.

evil_genius_180
February 5th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Yes, from what I can see, it's back up. I do like how the guy that did this gives all credit to Devilman for his great site. And, it's great that he brought a valuable resource back to us.

chrisis1033
February 13th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Its great this site is back! looks the same as it did before!

evil_genius_180
February 14th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Yeah, that's probably because the guy that started it got everything from one of those archive sites. Hopefully Devilman will eventually get the actual site back up, but it's great to at least have what was there before back. :D

Dark Warrior
February 20th, 2007, 09:33 PM
It back down, I tried to go to the website and it said the website could not be found. What happen did the website crash.

gmd3d
February 21st, 2007, 12:29 AM
so it seems ?? no Idea why .

Dark Warrior
February 21st, 2007, 04:26 AM
Oh cruel fate why do you temp us.

I hope it only down temporally, I really do like that site.

evil_genius_180
February 21st, 2007, 08:46 AM
Still down.

evil_genius_180
February 21st, 2007, 09:13 AM
The official word is that it's temporary. The guy that runs it posts over at SFM and (very occasionally) here. He says it was on his school's server, but the load was too much for the server, so the school deleted it. He didn't have it backed up, so he doesn't have everything, but he's apparently going to transfer what he's got to another site, stay tuned for the link.

startrekfan001
February 26th, 2007, 03:21 AM
Hello guys :D

I've been gone for quite a while, i decided to come look in here again, and i found this thread. Yea im the same startrekfan001 as on scifimeshes, which makes me the bringbacker of startrekaustralia. Right now, i feel very dumb and frustrated as i for the first time in my life (well that would be 16 years) did something really good, bringing STA back, and now by one stupid idiotic mistake its all gone. I reinstalled my windows (*****windows for crashing all the time) and then my backup was gone. I tought i had it all downloaded back from the server before they would delete it, but i was too late. Now, im rebuilding what i can on www.startrekeurope.com. this project has been one for quite a while, i wanted it to replace STA a long time ago. Im in the process of adding as much meshes as i can, main problem is authors that cannot be reached. I will give you updates as much as i can. If you made meshes yourself, and want to see it hosted on STE, please pm me or contact me otherwise. my email adress can be found in my profile.

Cya guys, Enzo

Dark Warrior
February 26th, 2007, 09:00 PM
It must be hard starting from scratch. I was wondering by any chance do u still have the Ambassador B Class and Mesh on the website.

startrekfan001
February 27th, 2007, 01:58 AM
I have the ambassador class, but i dont think the B version..... No, i just checked. I don't have it. Sorry. But there's a good chance that it is in some of the meshpacks that everyone is sending me. Right now, from a dozen different forums people started sending me whatever meshes they got on their PC. so ill let you know if the Ambassador-B is in it.

captainkirk
March 4th, 2007, 07:10 AM
I downloaded the Aeon from STE the other day. I hope you have more meshes online soon. :drool:

evil_genius_180
March 4th, 2007, 09:13 AM
That's some amazing work on STE, startrekfan001!! I really like the STA look with some personal touches thrown in. I also like how it's optimized for the Firefox browser, I have version 2.0.0.2. Too many sites are optimized for IE 6 or 7 and IE is such an inferior browser. I know it's tedious and hard work, but please keep us informed of your progress. :)

startrekfan001
March 4th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Well, i just figured a way how to easily add meshes, so im now doing the defiant (i've been snowboarding all day, else i would've added some 15 more meshes or so.........), all meshes until dauntless are downloadable now, some meshes i cant import in anim8or, i put them in a separate archive, i will look at those when all the rest is finished. I'm also thinking about a major "look" overhaul, im gonna make it look more........ like this: http://img429.imageshack.us/img429/4975/vista5308auroratheme32an.jpg

i know, thats Vista, but i find it look so pretty :-) If anyone objects, i wont do it. Its probably not gonna happen within the next 2 months anyway :-P

I've just added a php script to replace the inline frames, so i've got some problems solved now. And the adress bar looks more pro now, like www.startrekeurope.com/index/index.php?pagina=news like that :-)

I hope you guys keep enjoying STE, I will do my best to keep it where it is and it wont be lost again :-P

captainkirk
March 4th, 2007, 12:46 PM
I'm glad to see more meshes are online. I think you should get some help adding meshes, you've got tonnes to put online. I hope this will become one of those Trek mesh sites that I goto all the time. There is a Blender version of Ian's Akira mesh.

startrekfan001
March 4th, 2007, 01:02 PM
You're right about i need help, (well i can do it on my own, but it'd be much slower) but,....... nobody wants to. I've asked for help in several forums, but people don't like to do boring repetetive work. Well i dont like it either, but hey, i promised to make this website so..........

That blender version of the akira, can you send it to me? I'm actually looking for someone to convert the meshes on STE to blender format, is there someone?

captainkirk
March 4th, 2007, 01:28 PM
That blender version of the akira, can you send it to me?
Don't need to. You can get it off Star Trek Blender (http://stblender.iindigo3d.com/meshes_startrek.html).
I'm actually looking for someone to convert the meshes on STE to blender format, is there someone?
I downloaded the Aeon, but Blender blew it to pieces so I'll have to reconstruct it. Once I do, I'll send it to you in .blend format.
EDIT:
I've almost finished reconstructing the Aeon, but the textures didn't download properly, could you send them to me (mailto://trekboy@myway.com)?

startrekfan001
March 4th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Wait with the reconstruction of the Aeon, i think i know what happened. Download it again when i say it.

Also, thanks for converting the meshes. I can really use your help. Can you PM me with an avatar or image (maybe an image of yourself) to put in the credits section, which identifies you?

startrekfan001
March 4th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Ok download the AEON 3ds version NOW. i changed it, you should not get it blown up this time.

captainkirk
March 4th, 2007, 02:03 PM
I'll download it soon, but we only connect to the internet on Fridays and weekends so I can only send the converted mesh in a week or so. I'm sending a picture now.

captainkirk
March 5th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Ok, I've converted the Aeon to Blender format. I'll send it to you shortly.

startrekfan001
March 5th, 2007, 09:18 AM
great :)

captainkirk
March 5th, 2007, 10:35 AM
I've just converted the curry class and will send it to you soon, did you get the Aeon?
You said all the meshes up until the Dauntless were downloadable, but only the Aeon, Curry class and Constitution meshes seem to be available.

startrekfan001
March 5th, 2007, 11:08 AM
I got the Aeon, thank you.

I checked the linking, and the daedalus is now downloadable. The defiant is still not, since i have trouble keeping the meshes out of eachother and looking which is which (there are 3 defiant meshes and 5 images, all different).

So i moved on with the DY-100 and the DY-100 refit. They are downloadable now, too. You should be able to download all until the DY-100 refit, except the defiant.

captainkirk
March 5th, 2007, 11:24 AM
I still have trouble with the Ambassador, when I try to download it it says "404 not found". When exactly did the Curry class appear in Star Trek?

startrekfan001
March 5th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Bugs:

#1 = When clicking a link to a mesh, new window opens (fixed)
#2 = Daedalus class having download trouble (fixed)
#3 = Ambassador class having download trouble

I'm gonna work on #3 tomorrow. Im keeping a list of bugs, so that i can see how my progress goes. If you find more bugs, please add them to the list.

captainkirk
March 5th, 2007, 12:42 PM
A bug I noticed is that instead of downloading, files open up in text form when clicked.

captainkirk
March 5th, 2007, 01:17 PM
I just thought I'd let you know that I'm going to bed and we won't connect to the internet for 3 days so I can only send you the Curry class then.

evil_genius_180
March 5th, 2007, 09:03 PM
I couldn't get anything to download. I tried the Centaur, the Constellation and a couple others before the Dauntless and nothing could be found.

startrekfan001
March 8th, 2007, 08:29 AM
#3 = Ambassador class having download trouble
#4 = Files dont download but open up
#5 = None of the meshes ar downloading sometimes

I'll get to work on them straight away.

captainkirk
March 9th, 2007, 09:48 AM
I've experienced some of those problems. Glad to see the Blender Aeon is online.

startrekfan001
March 16th, 2007, 03:24 PM
#3 = Ambassador class having download trouble (fixed partially)
#4 = Files dont download but open up
#5 = None of the meshes ar downloading sometimes
#6 = In Internet Explorer the website's layout is screwed away (fixed)

I've updated the news, i've been silent for quite some time, you'll see the reason when you read the news update i wrote.

http://www.startrekeurope.com/index/index.php?pagina=news

edit: and YES ste can finally be seen with IE without problems.

captainkirk
March 17th, 2007, 03:37 AM
Glad the problem with the Ambassador-class is fixed, I want to convert it so I'm downloading it now.

startrekfan001
March 17th, 2007, 04:07 AM
only 3ds and max versions are online. im working on an8 and obj versions.

captainkirk
March 17th, 2007, 05:17 AM
I downloaded the 3ds version but have been unable to import it, is there something wrong with the file?

startrekfan001
March 17th, 2007, 05:27 AM
im not sure. i cant import them either. I'll see what i can do.

evil_genius_180
March 17th, 2007, 12:00 PM
You talking about the newer Ambassador-class from scifi-art? I could never get that one to import either, even when STA was still online. I think it has to do with the version of Max that was used to make the original model. The ones made in Max 3 and lower imported nicely, but the ones made in Max 4+ never imported.

captainkirk
March 18th, 2007, 04:00 AM
No, I mean the one above it, I tried downloading it but it wouldn't import.

captainkirk
April 14th, 2007, 02:58 AM
I went back and saw that the one I downloaded was from Scifi-art. I have converted Andrew Smith's NX-01 mesh to Blender format and will be uploading it soon, I hope you were going to put it on ST Europe.

startrekfan001
April 14th, 2007, 06:20 AM
sure! just send it. may take a little while, since writing all pages and making everything downloadable takes a lot of time.

captainkirk
April 14th, 2007, 01:33 PM
I'm having some trouble uploading the file, I'll try again tonight but I'm not sure if it'll work. What meshes are available?

evil_genius_180
April 14th, 2007, 06:42 PM
You do have the mesh author's permission to upload the converted file, right? It's sort-of an unwritten rule for most of us but some people insist on it. I should say in the readme file if you do or don't need to contact him about it.

captainkirk
April 15th, 2007, 05:20 AM
The readme didn't download properly.

startrekfan001
April 15th, 2007, 06:21 AM
u can write a new readme.

captainkirk
April 15th, 2007, 12:30 PM
I actually meant about getting permission, the readme's usually have an email address for the creator.

evil_genius_180
April 15th, 2007, 08:37 PM
I downloaded the mesh from www.axeman3d.com earlier and it has the readme with Andrew's e-mail. I don't know if it's his current e-mail, but I attached the readme. It doesn't say anything about conversions in the readme.

captainkirk
April 21st, 2007, 04:24 AM
I asked him and he said he didn't mind.

evil_genius_180
April 21st, 2007, 10:25 AM
Cool. I figured he wouldn't, but it's always best to be sure. I don't think Startrekfan001 wants a pissed-off mesh maker banging down the door of his site looking for blood. ;)

startrekfan001
April 29th, 2007, 10:32 AM
sorry the mesh is still not up, my computer monitor broke down about a week ago and i can only acces STE from there. i almost got enough money together for a new monitor, so it should be up in 2 weeks at most.