PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek vs Star Wars

jf3000
June 18th, 2006, 05:55 AM
This was posted on the spacebattles forum, just had to post it here, very funny :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNxhrPaaCA4&search=star%20destroyer

evil_genius_180
June 18th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Don't wrap your links in code tags, otherwise it won't come up as a link. I, for one, want to be lazy and just click rather than having to copy and paste. Either use url tags or just type/paste it and it will do it on its own. :D

I fixed it for you. This time. :alien:

jf3000
June 18th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Sorry about that, Ive always wrapped links in code tags, ok will do from now on.

evil_genius_180
June 18th, 2006, 11:40 AM
'S not really a problem. :D I don't have much else to do right now anyway. :lol:

jf3000
June 18th, 2006, 11:57 AM
grrrrrrrrrrrrr stoopid export thing, man that annoys me, still doesnt work, whom ever invented blender should of wrote a manual for noobs.

armike6
July 4th, 2006, 05:27 AM
Ok...so this is Star Trek vs. Star Wars....which do you prefer? Star Trek for me.

evil_genius_180
July 4th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Cool. Let's start a fanboy discussion!! (I like this because I'm a fanboy also.) I think that they are pretty well matched. Trek has the advantages of being 40 years old where Wars is about to turn 30. Plus, there's more Trek out there, but what George has done with Wars is spectacular. I know a lot of non-scifi fans that at least love Wars, my mom for one. And, where the weapons are bigger and they have better engines and lightsabers in Wars, Trek has the advantage of happening close to home and is a little more believable (reasonably so.) So, it's definitely a tie for me. :storm: :D :tos:

armike6
July 4th, 2006, 04:41 PM
I guess I lean towards ST because I remember sitting in front of the TV waiting for the first episode (man, that seems like a long time ago) and never missed it. I think it was either while I was serving in Germany, or just after I came back, that I saw Star Wars, I don't remember the year it firts came out, and I thought the special effects were very cool (of course, they had a little more money to work with).

nyrath
July 5th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Star Wars vs Star Trek?
The argument rages on.
http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/
especially
http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Essays/FiveMinutes.html

evil_genius_180
July 5th, 2006, 10:36 AM
And your views are??

nyrath
July 5th, 2006, 01:11 PM
I find the argument outlined in the last link to be compelling.

armike6
July 5th, 2006, 04:12 PM
I've never thought there was any argument...they are two diffrent things. ST was a weekly show, no big budget, but plenty of writting talent. SW had one script and put their money into the special effects. Both were Class A for the times.

nyrath
July 5th, 2006, 04:37 PM
I've never thought there was any argument...they are two diffrent things.
Ah, but behold the wonder of the internet, where the age old argument of "my dad can beat up your dad" takes new and different forms. :jestor:
The Stardestroyer net has an entire forum devoted to the Trek vs Star Wars argument.

armike6
July 6th, 2006, 01:57 AM
Interesting...but doesn't change anything...it's till comparing apples to oranges.

pgtyner
May 10th, 2008, 08:51 AM
For me it was Star Wars! Yes, I am a fan of the Star Trek series and movies. But there was something about the first Star Wars movie that made me feel that maybe I was born in the wrong time. It invited you to believe that our lives might have some bigger purpose than what we might see in our regular daily stuff. (By the way, at 35 I became a missionary to the Ukraine....learned Russian....and life was different than the typical stuff)

crimsonghost13
May 27th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Star Wars all the way for me, in fact i'm watching episode 4 right now. :)

LordTyphon
May 27th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Basically if you think about it Star Wars is technically more advanced then Star Trek in a few ways and vice versa. Here are some tech differences to take in to account. On a side note, I'm a member of the 501st, and we tend to talk about this alot.

FTL Tech
Hyperspace is faster then Warp speeds. This was proven in a old Dragon Magazine that went in to depth about it (don't ask me the magazine number, I don't recall). Basically you can get someplace 5 times faster with a SW 2x Class Hyperspace engine then traveling there at Warp 9.

Shield Technology.
Star Trek is more advanced as there sheilds do not flicker around a ship, but rather form a bubble around the ship. This is why Star Wars ships sometimes recive damage in battles. A good example is right in New Hope, with the first battle, and the one where the Falcon escapes. Sources: Star Wars RPG, West End games verision (tech notes in there where made offical years ago), and the Star Trek Tech manuals.

Weapons Technology
These are about evenly matched. While Star Trek Phaser technology is better, as the ship doesn't have to worry about turrets for aiming. Star Wars weapons can deal more damange or with ION weapons disable a ship without damaging it. Torpedo/Missile technologies are about even, but Star Trek has a slight edge as there weapons blast yeilds and radiuses are variable, while Star Wars ones are not.

Other technologies[B/]
Transporter technology is something Star Wars does not have, and could be a major advantage by the Star Trek universe if used as a weapon. A example of this is form a ep of Voyager where there crew transported a proton torpedo in to a Borg vessel.

Small fighters, and self fighting probes/driods however Star Wars has a larger advantage in this area, as other then shuttles you hardly ever see or heard of anything like a starfighter in the Star Trek universe. Thus ships that carry wings (72 fighters) in the Star Wars universe would be at a huge advantage in that regard.

[b]Overall opinion
In my opinion the Star Wars universe ships could beat Star Trek ships easily, due to tactics used and the use of star fighters. Also if you think about it, the only force in the Star Trek universe (if we go by the primary quardent used in that universe) that might give them trouble would be either the Klingons, or the Romulans. The former as they are warriors, and live for war, while the latter because of there superior cloacking technology.

However if we just say do a fleet to fleet battler, then Star Trek might win, as it could use probes and torpedos like mines to help keep the starfighters busy.

All in all you can see that this is a hard call to make, mostly due to the differences in fighting tactics and technology. My section of the 501st decided it's best to just say this. "If it happens, will find out then, till then it doesn't matter to us as we have better things to do then endless debates."

evil_genius_180
May 27th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Here's the thing: 6 TV series, 10 movies, and way more books than Star Wars has VS. 6 movies and some books. Star Trek definitely wins. :tongue: The only edge that Star Wars has is that it has more video games (some of them are even good.)

LordTyphon
May 27th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Here's the thing: 6 TV series, 10 movies, and way more books than Star Wars has VS. 6 movies and some books. Star Trek definitely wins. :tongue: The only edge that Star Wars has is that it has more video games (some of them are even good.)

True, but when it comes to talk about this, I tend to look at the hard tech and facts, and ignore the number of books, TV series, movies and such. But if your going to note those things, I would say Star Wars wins, as out of all the fanboy clubs here is a simple fact.

Star Trek ones - None accepted in to the official Cannon universe, as such anything they say or do is very unlikely to become cannon.

Star Wars ones - 501st accepted and made official part of the cannon universe as of the 30th anniversary of Star Wars. As such ship designs like the one shown in the first episode of I.M.P.S. located here http://www.impstherelentless.com/ which are done by 501st members, are more likely to become cannon.

That alone has to say which has a better chance in the long run. This is also why I tend to ignore movie, book, or what ever when it comes to a vs thing. As fandom vs fandom tends to be unending, while universe vs universe might be more debateable as it tends to look more at technology and such then who has the larger merchandise count. :tongue2: So for me, I'd rather look at how everything is set up, then just merchandise.

crimsonghost13
May 27th, 2008, 10:18 AM
@LordTyphon
That is very true about those being made part of the universe, good point. I my self am also part of the 501st aswell.

I lean toward Star Wars but I am biased, i still watch Star Trek some but it was something i could never really get into. Both have there ups and downs.

evil_genius_180
May 27th, 2008, 10:20 AM
My last post was actually meant as a joke. :laugh: Truth be told, I like Star Trek and Star Wars equally, though I was exposed to Star Wars at a younger age and have been a fan since day 1. I've also been a fan of Trek since day 1, it was just a later day. ;)

However, you have a great point there. I never liked the fact that the Trek books aren't canon (though, if they were, the original 5 years Kirk was in command would have to be more like 50 years. ;)) Plus, some people mess stuff up when they write them, they write stuff that goes against established canon. (which ticks me off to no end) That comes from the fact that the books and TV shows/movies/video games all being separate companies.

George Lucas is smart and keeps all his stuff in house so he can keep control on the whole thing.

Fretslayer
May 27th, 2008, 11:03 AM
I'd like to take part in this debate, but I think I'm going go to talk to an actual living girl instead. LOL!

Ok, joke aside - IMO it's an exercise in futility. It's like saying Godzilla can beat up King Kong.

I appreciate both for being what they are - stories that take place in different dimensions.

For me, the real question is would Mau'd Dib allow such a thing to take place.

evil_genius_180
May 27th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Ok, joke aside - IMO it's an exercise in futility. It's like saying Godzilla can beat up King Kong.

He can!! That fight was rigged. (for one thing, King Kong was about 6X his normal size.) :tongue:

Fretslayer
May 27th, 2008, 09:33 PM
He can!! That fight was rigged. (for one thing, King Kong was about 6X his normal size.) :tongue:

Well, everybody knows Kong was on the juice. That monkey had roid rage.
There is no other way to explain it.
:)

equack
May 28th, 2008, 02:43 PM
ST would definately best them in space, c'mon phasers, photon torpedoes, and the warp drive. SW doesn't have that, at best, the only thing better with SW is the land combat with light sabers.

gmd3d
May 28th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I'd go with equack on this .. I have seen the on many sites ..

I think Phaser and Torps out perform the Star Wars weapons .. save for the lightsaber .
which is in a class of it own.

Not sure about the difference between Warp Speeds and Hyperspace....

Han pointed out the he has been from one side of the galaxy to the other ...
in trek that only possible through wormholes ??..

question .. could the hyperspace drives open wormholes ??

Fretslayer
May 28th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Han also was a 'spice smuggler'.

Spice is the most valuable thing in the universe. It extends life, expands the mind and allows the spacing guild to fold space.

I wonder if Han was bragging after he sampled a bit of his cargo.
;)

gmd3d
May 28th, 2008, 03:41 PM
sniffing to much spice's ayy ..

Fretslayer
May 30th, 2008, 11:30 AM
I don't know... Han always did seem a bit shifty to me.
Now that I think about it... I think he may have been huffin the spice.

It explains a lot now that I think about it.
LOL!

aussiet
May 31st, 2008, 01:45 AM
Star trek wins for me

evil_genius_180
May 31st, 2008, 08:56 AM
I don't know... Han always did seem a bit shifty to me.
Now that I think about it... I think he may have been huffin the spice.

I think you might be getting Star Wars confused with Dune. :tongue:

Fretslayer
May 31st, 2008, 09:05 AM
I think you might be getting Star Wars confused with Dune. :tongue:

LOL!

Actually, I think Lucas got Star Wars confused with Dune.

There are quite a few concepts from Dune that show up in Star Wars.

Speaking of Star Wars... Here's a funny little story.

One fine evening I'm sitting in a bar having a few beers and I overhear a conversation taking place a few stools down. There was this small group of people catching a buzz and talking Star Wars. I sat and listened for a while and then I offerd them this amusing jewel.

'You know... 3PO is a spybot. Who built him? Who was on the ship with Leia when the Empire captured her? Who was on the rebel base when the Death Star was approaching? Who was on Hoth when the Empire found the rebel base? When you think about it, every bad thing that happens to the rebellion happens when 3PO is around. I'm tellin' ya... He's a sleeper agent working for the Empire. He has no idea he's spying and reporting back but he is in fact, working for the Empire and Darth Vader personally.'

Oh, man did I bugger up their entire night with that. LOL!
They pondered it for hours.
LOL!

:laugh:

evil_genius_180
May 31st, 2008, 09:27 AM
LOL!

Actually, I think Lucas got Star Wars confused with Dune.

There are quite a few concepts from Dune that show up in Star Wars.

Well, Lucas did always admit that practically every concept he came up with for Star Wars he borrowed from other things and changed to fit his purposes. But most everything that's "original" is done that way. Much of Star Trek, Star Wars and Firefly (not to mention others) are borrowed from old westerns.

I always like all the people that assume that the producers of DS9 stole the idea for Babylon 5 just because the guy that created it came to them with the idea for B5 shortly before DS9 aired. Did it ever occur to those people that the whole reason Paramount passed on B5 could have been because they were already developing DS9 and didn't feel the need to buy another show that was so close to the DS9 concept? (It's just as likely an explanation.) Nothing is ever truly original and people have come up with very similar concepts independently before and a story about a space station that's home to many diverse races wasn't exactly a new concept at that time either, it was just the first time someone(s) wanted to make a show about it.

Speaking of Star Wars... Here's a funny little story.

One fine evening I'm sitting in a bar having a few beers and I overhear a conversation taking place a few stools down. There was this small group of people catching a buzz and talking Star Wars. I sat and listened for a while and then I offerd them this amusing jewel.

'You know... 3PO is a spybot. Who built him? Who was on the ship with Leia when the Empire captured her? Who was on the rebel base when the Death Star was approaching? Who was on Hoth when the Empire found the rebel base? When you think about it, every bad thing that happens to the rebellion happens when 3PO is around. I'm tellin' ya... He's a sleeper agent working for the Empire. He has no idea he's spying and reporting back but he is in fact, working for the Empire and Darth Vader personally.'

Oh, man did I bugger up their entire night with that. LOL!
They pondered it for hours.
LOL!

That's pretty funny. Though, to be honest, I always thought 3PO was the perfect Rebel agent. Without him, nobody would have any idea what the hell R2 was saying. Also, he talked them out of many tough spots (the Stormtroopers in the control room in Star Wars, the Ewoks in Jedi, to name a couple.)

Fretslayer
May 31st, 2008, 09:32 AM
Yah, but see - we don't know what R2 was saying... He might have been saying 'Bleep boop-boop-blagga-blip-blebble,bleeble,NI!' and 3P0 says 'Oh, R2 says we should stay right here and we'll be safe.' -- In the mean time R2 is screaming there is a Wompa in a dress headed this way and it's singing something about forbidden love.

I never trusted 3PO.

LOL!

evil_genius_180
May 31st, 2008, 09:44 AM
My favorite was always things like:

R2: "Bleep blorp boppity boop"
3PO: "You watch your language!"

:D

If I had 3PO in my corner, I'd send him in as a diversion every time (kinda like they did in Jabba's palace.) Of course, you don't let him in on your plans, but you can't come up with a better diversionary tactic than having that blabbermouth on the inside distracting and confusing your enemies. :)

Fretslayer
May 31st, 2008, 09:48 AM
If I had 3PO in my corner, I'd send him in as a diversion every time (kinda like they did in Jabba's palace.) Of course, you don't let him in on your plans, but you can't come up with a better diversionary tactic than having that blabbermouth on the inside distracting and confusing your enemies. :)

Which is exactly why Vader used him to keep an eye on the Rebels!
LOL!

evil_genius_180
May 31st, 2008, 09:51 AM
You're not letting that theory go, are you? :tongue2:

Fretslayer
May 31st, 2008, 09:54 AM
You're not letting that theory go, are you? :tongue2:

LOL!

I think it's a funny theory and so very messed up.
But really... you can make a successful argument for it.
:D

evil_genius_180
May 31st, 2008, 06:40 PM
Sure you could. You could also make an argument that Darth Vader was a closet member of the Rebellion, we just typically don't go there. :tongue:

Fretslayer
May 31st, 2008, 06:46 PM
You ever notice you never see Yoda and Vader in the same place?

...just sayin.

LOL!

Anmol
June 12th, 2008, 04:54 AM
interesting link, thanks for sharing it

Boorsman
June 29th, 2008, 05:57 PM
What I like about Star Trek is that everything at least has some kind of explanation, even if none of it makes any sense to me. Also, why is it that they, in Star Wars, have all this interplanetary space travel technology, but still dress like feudal times? I mean, what's up with the hooded cloaks, the tunics, and such?

Darrell Lawrence
June 29th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Why do we still wear ties when we can go to the moon?

evil_genius_180
June 29th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Also, why is it that they, in Star Wars, have all this interplanetary space travel technology, but still dress like feudal times? I mean, what's up with the hooded cloaks, the tunics, and such?

You could probably ask the Vulcans, Klingons and a number of other Star Trek races the same thing. ;)

Boorsman
June 30th, 2008, 06:37 PM
The thing is, everyone in Star Wars dresses like that. Not so in Star Trek. However, what I do like about Star Wars is the way they were able to solve the problem with artificial intelligence. But, how can robots feel pain? I don't remember which episode it was, maybe 4, where there is one robot being tortured by having its tread like feet burned with a big heating coil like thing and its screaming. Interesting.

Darrell Lawrence
June 30th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Ah.. but in a Galaxy far far away... life is NOT as we know it :)

A sentient 'droid is no different than a sentient V'Ger... or a Jar Jar Binks :D

Winterhawk
July 27th, 2008, 03:20 PM
The thing is, everyone in Star Wars dresses like that. Not so in Star Trek. However, what I do like about Star Wars is the way they were able to solve the problem with artificial intelligence. But, how can robots feel pain? I don't remember which episode it was, maybe 4, where there is one robot being tortured by having its tread like feet burned with a big heating coil like thing and its screaming. Interesting.

It was in ep 6 return of the Jedi inside Jaba's palace when R2 and C3po were being taken downstairs to be set up for duty under Jaba's Ownership.

ulimann644
July 27th, 2008, 06:14 PM

It was in ep 6 return of the Jedi inside Jaba's palace when R2 and C3po were being taken downstairs to be set up for duty under Jaba's Ownership.

Today we have "Artificial Intelligence" so why shouldn´t have a "Droid" on a much higher Tech-Level "Artificial Feelings" ( Perhaps with organic-components - not so much like Borg - but for example with half-organic sensors under the feetplates that can transmit pain via half-organic nerves to an organic-plasma component of his brain - that he use for a better understanding of natural lifeforms... :D ) Puh... sounds like science-fiction, I guess... ;) ( Also see my signature... :cylon: )

prijikn
July 29th, 2008, 03:30 AM
star trek is science fiction.It is much more based on science and the natural future of technological development.

ulimann644
July 29th, 2008, 09:01 AM
star trek is science fiction.It is much more based on science and the natural future of technological development.

You mean: Only Star Trek is science-fiction ?? :confused:

steven3
July 29th, 2008, 11:31 AM
I like Star Wars better than Star Trek simply because it has better stories than most of the Star Trek series. Even though I saw Star Trek first, when I saw Star Wars, I was taken by the magic of the series and now watch Star Trek but don't like it as much as Star Wars.

shrox
July 29th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Well, in the Star Wars universe, advanced technology is ancient, in Star Trek, advanced technology is only a few hundred years old.

Cool, my Roomba, a robot vacuum, just finished doing the floor! Yes, I have a real, working, useful robot, something neither Star Trek or Star Wars has.

gmd3d
July 29th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Star Trek will for me (I think) remain my fav... but its harder to put anything into Trek as it has a legacy that Star Wars does not have.. how many hundreds of hours of Trek is there in relation to Star Wars .. Star Wars is really only beginning if handled properly.

I would love to have seen Han Solo driven stories, pre A new Hope days ..

what a great way to tour the Wars Universe .. but through the eyes of its lowest form of villainy he he Han..

from the days he was a street kid .. or meeting Chewie for the first time.

Star Wars has by design a freer hand at the creative side and more money..

shrox
July 29th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Star Trek will for me (I think) remain my fav... but its harder to put anything into Trek as it has a legacy that Star Wars does not have.. how many hundreds of hours of Trek is there in relation to Star Wars .. Star Wars is really only beginning if handled properly.

I would love to have seen Han Solo driven stories, pre A new Hope days ..

what a great way to tour the Wars Universe .. but through the eyes of its lowest form of villainy he he Han..

from the days he was a street kid .. or meeting Chewie for the first time.

Star Wars has by design a freer hand at the creative side and more money..

I work in video games, a friend that worked on Star Wars online said that people will write to complain about a tiny little inaccuracy like a marking is the wrong shade of red.

gmd3d
July 29th, 2008, 01:45 PM
same in trek .. but I meant by freer hand in the creative department .. is Stories

Trek has rules that cannot be broken or bent .. look at Enterprise .. they messed with that and very few fans liked it..

Wars has also the same following but stories have more flexibility .. I think anyway ..

I am not surprised the some people complain about inaccuracy.. boths sides are the very some :)

ulimann644
July 30th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Basicly it´s different to compare Trek and Wars - ´cause Trek is a show and Wars are movies. IMO to write a good story for a 2hours movie is easier as writing a "main-story" for 20 episodes of a show like the 3rd season of "Enterprise" for example ( one of the best stories for a show IMO ) ( For really good stories - reading SF-Novells is a must... ;) for example from Isaac Assimov, Philip K. Dick or Stanislaw Lem )

My fav movies are Star-Wars and my fav Shows are Star-Trek and B5 - and I can´t say one of them is the best ´cause they all have it´s individual good parts :)

evil_genius_180
July 31st, 2008, 01:12 AM
One thing I like better about Star Trek is the books. It's not that I don't like Star Wars books, I love them, but since there was never a Star Wars TV series, you have to have read most of the earlier books to know what's going on in the later ones. Star Trek books (except the mini-series books) are usually self-contained stories that relate to the events o the shows, not to the other books. It makes it a lot easier to pick up practically any Star Trek book, as long as it's not part of a mini-series and you're familiar with the particular TV series to which it relates, and know what's going on. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for Star Wars books (which is usually why I stick to reading ones that take place around the movies and relate mostly to the stuff that happens in the movies.)

gmd3d
July 31st, 2008, 07:21 AM
Whats your fav Book eg180

evil_genius_180
July 31st, 2008, 09:49 AM
There are too many books that I love to really call any one of them my favorite (kinda like movies. ;)) Some of my favorites are the Star Trek books of Diane Carey, Peter David and Michael Jan Friedman. I also love Timothy Zahn's Star Wars books. (He's the one that started the whole books after the movies thing with Heir to the Empire and its sequels.) Reading has always been one of my passions, long before I even knew about CGI. :D

gmd3d
July 31st, 2008, 11:16 AM
Same here ..
Some of my fav in trek are

Strangers from the sky
Best Destiny
Enterprise

Vendetta

Dreams of Raven

3 minute universe

evil_genius_180
July 31st, 2008, 08:33 PM
The only one of those I haven't read is Dreams of Raven but the rest are excellent choices. :D

gmd3d
August 1st, 2008, 02:42 AM
Dream of Raven is good at least enjoyible :)

shrox
August 2nd, 2008, 12:58 PM
This says it all...

evil_genius_180
August 15th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Am I the only one who feels that CGI Star Wars movie that was released today could be the downfall of Star Wars as surely as the Star Trek movie being released next year could be the final ax in the back for Trek? Both look pretty horrible to me.

ulimann644
August 16th, 2008, 06:31 AM
both have different style in writing, starwars was already mapped out because of the way it was presented on screen having a later chapter being the fiorst movie the writer george lucas had to conform to whathe already wrote and presented, star trek on the other hand is free to do whatever they want within the paramaters of the chracters.

That´s the reason why it makes no sense to compare it IMO

Am I the only one who feels that CGI Star Wars movie that was released today could be the downfall of Star Wars as surely as the Star Trek movie being released next year could be the final ax in the back for Trek? Both look pretty horrible to me.

You´re absolutly right - The much important question for me is: Why continuing the same stuff till the fans won´t see it anymore ?? The Trek-Universe is really great enough to create new interesting stories.

Why not a film or a new show about the rise and fall of the Xindi - ending with the destruction of there homeworld by an unknown race ( or better with the destruction of the whole solar-system including all star-bases and a great part of there fleet ) Stuff for some great SFX I guess... ;)

Also a story about the "First Human Race" is thinkable - what was the reason for the splitting into the different human-races ( Klingons, Romulans, Humans... etc. pp. ) Was there a war against an unknown race ending with the defeat of the humans, or maybe a civil-war between different colonies of that race ??

Another possibility is a story about the sphere-builders - the trans-dimensional lifeforms - and the war of the federation against that race in the 26th century ( in the enterprise show there was a little outlook on that as Cpt. Archer was on board of the Enterprise-J )

Or the genesis of the Borg... - or, or, or...

"To boldly write what no one has written before..." :cool-sm:

evil_genius_180
August 16th, 2008, 09:01 AM
I think Star Trek needs to take about a 5 to 10 year break to get their crap together and then maybe come out with something fresh and new. The problem is that they keep wanting to bring out more of their money-making franchises but, as you say, the fans won't want to see it after a while and then it won't make money and that will spell certain doom for Trek.

The same could be said for Star Wars. I want to know, with all of the books, comics, games, etc. that center around the Clone Wars, why is George Lucas still stuck there? I'd say the Clone Wars have been covered, move on to something else. I know he can't do anything besides Star Wars and Indiana Jones (I've seen his other crap) but that doesn't mean there aren't a lot of potentially great Star Wars movie ideas out there. I'd like to see some Star Wars movies that date all the way back to the first Sith War, instead of constantly going back to the time frame of around the original and newer trilogies of movies.

ulimann644
August 17th, 2008, 04:50 AM
I think Star Trek needs to take about a 5 to 10 year break to get their crap together and then maybe come out with something fresh and new. The problem is that they keep wanting to bring out more of their money-making franchises but, as you say, the fans won't want to see it after a while and then it won't make money and that will spell certain doom for Trek.

True - but they can also make money with it by creating some new stuff, perhaps more, ´cause I think if the new idea is good everyone ( or every "Trekkie" ) will have franchises of this new stuff too...

The same could be said for Star Wars. I want to know, with all of the books, comics, games, etc. that center around the Clone Wars, why is George Lucas still stuck there? I'd say the Clone Wars have been covered, move on to something else. I know he can't do anything besides Star Wars and Indiana Jones (I've seen his other crap) but that doesn't mean there aren't a lot of potentially great Star Wars movie ideas out there. I'd like to see some Star Wars movies that date all the way back to the first Sith War, instead of constantly going back to the time frame of around the original and newer trilogies of movies.

That´s exactly what I mean - New stuff inside the Trek- and the Wars-Universe. BTW I guess a movie about the rise of Darth Bane and his fight against the Jedi General Hoth is also a good idea... :storm:

one01
August 27th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Star wars is better with the the way they made the movies(the newer three weren't that great.). But star trek seems to have more to it.

Ghostening
August 27th, 2008, 03:51 PM
The biggest differences between Star Wars vs. Trek are the moral and ethical situations and the way that they are approached by the characters. In Star Wars there are quite a few different mind altering substances, while in Star Trek everything related to these topics are approached from a perspective that these things are bad. Good or bad, they exist and societies all have some fringe people that will seek them out.

nipuk007
August 28th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Personally I have to say, that between Star Trek and Star Wars, Star Trek has to win hands down. Having said that I, unlike a lot if my fellow trekkies, actually like the Original Star Wars films.

When it comes down to it, it depends on what you look for in a Show/Film.
Star Trek is for the more Techie/Real World orientated types.
Star Wars is for the more Fantasy/Other Worldly orientated types.

evil_genius_180
August 28th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I know a lot of Trekkies that like Star Wars (besides me.)

UrbanArmitage
August 28th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Yep, I'm one of those too evil_genius.

UA

ulimann644
August 29th, 2008, 05:58 PM
The biggest differences between Star Wars vs. Trek are the moral and ethical situations and the way that they are approached by the characters. In Star Wars there are quite a few different mind altering substances, while in Star Trek everything related to these topics are approached from a perspective that these things are bad. Good or bad, they exist and societies all have some fringe people that will seek them out.

Personally I have to say, that between Star Trek and Star Wars, Star Trek has to win hands down. Having said that I, unlike a lot if my fellow trekkies, actually like the Original Star Wars films.

When it comes down to it, it depends on what you look for in a Show/Film.
Star Trek is for the more Techie/Real World orientated types.
Star Wars is for the more Fantasy/Other Worldly orientated types.

I´m a very curious guy and I long to know what George Lucas, Gene Roddenberry and all Story-Writers of Star Wars and Star Trek would say if they would read this.
What I mean is: I guess primal there intention was to write and to tell a fantastic story and the moral and ethical situation of both was only marginal for them.

It´s like in the SF-Story that I´m writing - at the beginning I´ve had only the characters and a fantastic story - but the more the story had going on, the less I could avert to tell something about the social, historical, ethical and moral background of some characters and their races.

I´ve done it ( for example ) by a lazertoid character, but the first time I realized it was by re-reading the chapter - and I was totally surprised about it. I´ve never planned to write something like this, but it happens - sometimes without thinking about it. I think many things by creating a world or a universe around a sf-story is an unconscious process... :confused:

I know a lot of Trekkies that like Star Wars (besides me.)

Yep, I'm one of those too evil_genius.

UA

I´m too and the most Trek- and Wars-Fans I know like both too ´cause they are ( like me ) more SF-Fans as only Trekkie- or only Star Wars-Fans... :storm: :tos: :colwar: :cylon: :borg:

P.S. My first contact with reading SF was "Perry Rhodan" - the world greatest SF-Series - in 1980 as I was 14 yo...

evil_genius_180
August 29th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I´m too and the most Trek- and Wars-Fans I know like both too ´cause they are ( like me ) more SF-Fans as only Trekkie- or only Star Wars-Fans... :storm: :tos: :colwar: :cylon: :borg:

Well, I'm definitely a Trekkie. Though I was exposed to and liked Star Wars first. Aside from those two, I'm not really a huge sci-fi nut. I only like a little sci-fi besides Trek and Wars. (but I make up for it in the sheer volume of my Trek and Wars love. :D)

ulimann644
August 30th, 2008, 09:09 AM
I only like a little sci-fi besides Trek and Wars. (but I make up for it in the sheer volume of my Trek and Wars love. :D)

That´s okay - not everyone can ( or will ) be a SF-Maniac. :) Otherwise it´s an interesting hobby, mostly to read SF. For example: Dune is one of my fav SF-Movies but reading the ( very long ) Dune-Novel of Frank Herbert was much more impressive IMO.
Also when you read many different SF-Novels you have often a deja-vu ´cause the most good ideas in films you´ll find in novels - written in the sixties and seventies.
One more advantage is, that your imagination creates much better SFX and exotic locations by reading SF as filmmakers can do ( and some things are nearly impossible to visualize... ) And - you get mostly a much better story as in movies... :laugh:

Isarian
September 11th, 2008, 04:36 PM
For example: Dune is one of my fav SF-Movies but reading the ( very long ) Dune-Novel of Frank Herbert was much more impressive IMO.

Ah now thats got to be my favorite series of Sci-Fi books.

Fretslayer
September 11th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Dune is my favorite book. As for the film versions of it - I think that SciFi Channel did a pretty good job of translating it into film. I would imagine that Dune a very difficult story to convert from book to screenplay and not end up with a 20 hour film.

One of the things about the book that I really like is that when I read it, I have to read a few pages, stop, let them sink in and some of the time jump back a page and reread it just to make sure I really understood it.

While I grew up with a great fondness for both Star Wars and Star Trek, IMO nothing comes close to Dune.

UrbanArmitage
September 11th, 2008, 11:10 PM
I've also read the Dune series, and I loved it! My mom who took a liking to Dune and bought the books. I love a lot of different science fiction but I have my favourites like Star Trek.

Have any of you guys ever read the Lensmen series of books by E E Doc Smith? Again, my mom took a couple out from the local library and then went out and bought the entire series. IIRC there were about 30 or more books each telling a separate story but all added up to one great tale. Many times over the years i've wished we still had those books so that I could re-read them but they were lost in a move many years ago.

UA

Nardi
October 2nd, 2008, 12:28 PM
I definitly have to side with Star wars on this, but i am a big fan of trek too. I think the star wars universe allows for a lot more chaos and seat of your pants action, whereas Trek seems to be all well thought out plans of action that usually work ;)

ulimann644
October 2nd, 2008, 01:25 PM
I definitly have to side with Star wars on this, but i am a big fan of trek too. I think the star wars universe allows for a lot more chaos and seat of your pants action, whereas Trek seems to be all well thought out plans of action that usually work ;)

I think the titles say loud and clear what the creators wanted to have... ;) :storm: :tos:

AnubisCat
October 6th, 2008, 06:54 PM
I gotta go with Star Wars over Star Trek :storm:

gmd3d
October 7th, 2008, 01:26 AM
I gotta go with Star Wars over Star Trek :storm:
I am on the other side,TOS Trek that is. but its a close one. and the orignal Star Wars .. the last 3 Star Wars where more forgettable apart from the last scenes of Revenge of the Sith.
but that just me.

Oh an welcome aboard AnubisCat .. :biggrin:

Fretslayer
October 7th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Just a couple of thoughts here...

The point about how structured the Trek world is really made me think.
I grew up when Star Wars (the original film) was in the theater and when ST:TMP was also in the theater.

Thinking about it - while I do love the Trek stuff, I think I'd rather live in the Star Wars universe. I'm so much of a pirate/confederate type of person that I think in the Trek universe I would be in some dark galactic prison cell.

At least in the SW universe there are people who are... uh... scoundrels - AND - they can be heroes. In ST the closest we get to that type of character is the bozo named Mudd.

I'm way too much of an outlaw to exist in the Trek universe.

evil_genius_180
October 7th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Yeah, but that's the beauty of Star Trek. The Federation isn't the galactic standard, like the Empire is in Star Wars. If you don't like Federation rules, you can always just move. You could always go live in Ferengi or Orion space and be as much a pirate as you want. ;)

Fretslayer
October 7th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Man, I just know the Federation would put a price on my head.
I mean really... I'd have to find a way to steal me a Constitution class ship (TOS or TMP era).
I'd have to.
I couldn't resist.

See?
Yah.
I'd be toast in the Trek universe!
LOL!

evil_genius_180
October 7th, 2008, 09:39 AM
I'm sure you could just buy one on the Ferengi black market (no, I'm not letting this one go.)

Fretslayer
October 7th, 2008, 09:46 AM
I'm sure you could just buy one on the Ferengi black market (no, I'm not letting this one go.)

If I paid for it I wouldn't be much of a pirate, now would I?
LOL!

In a joking sort of way, I'm serious about this. LOL!

I'd be a space pirate if I ever lived in a time/place like that.

evil_genius_180
October 7th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Yeah, but at least the Federation would just send you to a nice, comfy resort of a rehabilitation colony for piracy. The Empire would execute you.

Fretslayer
October 7th, 2008, 09:51 AM
The Empire would hire me to disrupt Rebel trade routes.
LOL!

I

evil_genius_180
October 7th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I think I would have to be a bounty hunter or something in the Empire. You could still be disreputable but also know that the Empire won't get rid of you because they need you. Plus, then I could wear cool Mandalorian War Armor.

Fretslayer
October 7th, 2008, 09:59 AM
I just thought of something awful!
A 'Dog the Bounty Hunter' type of show set in the SW universe!

evil_genius_180
October 7th, 2008, 10:03 AM
OK, I'll take your word for it that it's awful. I've never heard of "Dog the Bounty Hunter."

AnubisCat
October 12th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I just thought of something awful!
A 'Dog the Bounty Hunter' type of show set in the SW universe!
I thought Lucas did a one off many years ago that was about Boba Fett...

Of course my memory has always been bad, so I could be wrong on that. But if I am right, it was as bad as the Star Wars Christmas Special... YEESH!

gmd3d
October 12th, 2008, 10:38 AM
please don't mention the Christmas special.. that was more like the nightmare before X-MAS.. I get the shakes thinking about Leia singing:)

oh if i did not welcome you to 3DG i welcome you now

evil_genius_180
October 12th, 2008, 11:05 AM
I thought Lucas did a one off many years ago that was about Boba Fett...

You're probably thinking of Star Wars: Bounty Hunter that came out for PS2 and Gamecube (I'm not sure about XBOX and PC because Lucas Arts is funny like that.) It was a game that focused around Jango Fett and the events leading up to Episode 2, including being recruited by Lord Taranis (Dooku) and acquiring his ship, Slave 1.

AnubisCat
October 12th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Are you kidding? I have nightmares about that nightmare! LOL

Thanks for the welcome :)

AnubisCat
October 12th, 2008, 11:10 AM
You're probably thinking of Star Wars: Bounty Hunter that came out for PS2 and Gamecube (I'm not sure about XBOX and PC because Lucas Arts is funny like that.) It was a game that focused around Jango Fett and the events leading up to Episode 2, including being recruited by Lord Taranis (Douku) and acquiring his ship, Slave 1.

It was only on the PS2 and GameCube, I remember being very upset that I couldn't rent it for my X-Box at the time it came out. But I could have sworn that there was a very obscure short film or something back in the 70's revolving around Boba... Like I said, I could be (and very likely) am wrong about that

evil_genius_180
October 12th, 2008, 11:14 AM
It probably would have been in the '80s because the character didn't originally appear until 1980 in Empire, but there could have been.

As far as Bounty Hunter, it was a pretty sweet game (better than Clone Wars.) I had a PS2 back then (and an XBOX and probably a Gamecube also) so I didn't worry too much about what came out for which system. Though, I don't think I ever owned that game, I just borrowed it. In fact, I should probably go to the used VG store less than a mile from where I live and see if they have Bounty Hunter (I'm feeling some strong nostalgia just talking about it. ;))

Chelle_Enaid
October 28th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Come on! The Star Wars Christmas special is one of my prized posessions. It's a great way to get unwanted relatives to go home after the holidays! :sheerin:

johnart
November 14th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Well, IMHO I prefer Star Wars than Star Trek... star wars has rich characters. Besides, I've always wanted a light saber. :p

gmd3d
November 14th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Well, IMHO I prefer Star Wars than Star Trek... star wars has rich characters. Besides, I've always wanted a light saber. :p

I like Trek more perhaps because it not a Galaxy far far etc :)

the Lightsaber is a fantastic invention.. I read somewhere the original the lightsaber was to be a very common weapon /.. almost everyday use not
only for the Jedi.

it was a good idea to make them only for the Jedi ..

evil_genius_180
November 14th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Yeah, in early drafts the lightsaber was a common use weapon. In fact, there is some old concept art of a Stormtrooper with one. I also like it that they became special weapons. Anyone can use a gun but it takes special skill to use a sword, especially to deflect blaster shots with one.

gmd3d
November 15th, 2008, 05:35 AM
yeah that what I saw too .. cannot locate the picture yet , but when I do I post it

evil_genius_180
November 15th, 2008, 08:51 AM
The source for all things Star Wars:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

I like it better than the Databank at the official Star Wars site because it usually has more in it, though the Databank also would have had this image.

gmd3d
November 15th, 2008, 09:47 AM
yeah that the one .. thanks for posting :)

evil_genius_180
November 15th, 2008, 05:06 PM
NP, bro. I've always liked that image, even though it's still cooler to have only Jedi use lightsabers. It's a fun "what could have been" image. :D

Valdar
November 16th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Yeah...Star Wars for me, but you have to love the Food Replicator and Holodeck in Star Trek.

PeterRama
November 20th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Wow, I'm torn on this one...

As an avid SciFi geek I like them both for different reasons...

I've watched every ST episode & movie and have every SW movie & a large library of SW books...

ST as stated previously is not far, far away, the stories are engaging and they broke a lot of new ground socially. Throughout the stories it weaved a lot of intrigue and trying to figure out who is really on your side...

SW is just cool with the lightsabre and The Force. Plus in the early stories its pretty clear, cut & dry as far as Good Vs. Evil.

Naw, not gonna choose...

gmd3d
November 20th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Naw, not gonna choose...
should have thought of that myself :biggrin::biggrin:

evil_genius_180
November 20th, 2008, 09:20 AM
should have thought of that myself :biggrin::biggrin:

Yeah, really. I love both Star Trek and Star Wars. In my mind they're both the best and all other Sci-Fi must bow before them. :evil:

Fretslayer
November 20th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Yeah, really. I love both Star Trek and Star Wars. In my mind they're both the best and all other Sci-Fi must bow before them. :evil:

They always come in two.

...Master and apprentice.

evil_genius_180
November 20th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Good lord, he just had to whip out the Darth Bane rule of two, didn't he? (those are some great books, BTW, if nobody else has read them)

PeterRama
November 20th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Good lord, he just had to whip out the Darth Bane rule of two, didn't he? (those are some great books, BTW, if nobody else has read them)

Oh yeah... Very good books and really helps fill in a lot of the history that is eluded too in movies...

evil_genius_180
November 20th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Plus, they are written by the guy who wrote the story for Knights of the Old Republic (love that story) so they go perfectly with that game. They also go perfectly with the movies, especially the prequel trilogy. :)

gmd3d
November 21st, 2008, 12:18 AM
I never read them .. I'll add them to my list of future reads

jlf1961
November 21st, 2008, 08:55 PM
If we are discussing books, rather than movies, then I would have to put my two cents in and say that neither star trek or star wars comes close to Starship Troopers by Heinlein.

But then I was army airborne and the thought of being dropped from orbit sounds great, plus the CAP armor.... a whole new meaning "Death from Above."

evil_genius_180
November 21st, 2008, 09:01 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. I was fresh out of Airborne School and had just been stationed at Bragg when I read that one night while on 24 hour duty. You've just gotta wonder if they had to endure the 18 hours of pre-jump prep that we had to. ;)

PeterRama
November 21st, 2008, 10:35 PM
I would agree as well. Heinlein wrote one of the all time great Military SciFi books with Starship Troopers... Too bad the movie wasn't more like the book...

jlf1961
November 21st, 2008, 11:12 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. I was fresh out of Airborne School and had just been stationed at Bragg when I read that one night while on 24 hour duty. You've just gotta wonder if they had to endure the 18 hours of pre-jump prep that we had to. ;)

Hey, I just liked the reg, everybody drops, everybody fights....

So, there was no overweight supply Sargent sitting fat dumb and happy in some office somewhere.....

evil_genius_180
November 22nd, 2008, 09:38 AM
So, there was no overweight supply Sargent sitting fat dumb and happy in some office somewhere.....

I never had any overweight supply sergeants in my time in the Army, just a couple really horrible ones. We had a really stupid specialist when I first got there (the sergeant above him who was was even more useless.) Then we had a real jackass E-6 when we went to Afghanistan. I was glad to see him leave. Then we had a cool E-4 that I used to hang out with a lot when we had nothing to do (which was frequent) and the E-6 above him was former infantry (perfect for an infantry company supply sergeant) and he was ripped. He could bench press more than anybody else in the company, I think. He was really cool also. Now, our commo sergeant was fat and useless. And he stuttered really horribly (which is bad for a commo sergeant.)

But you never have any overweight people in the military in those futuristic movies and shows. (except Scotty, but he didn't start that way on the show) Usually everybody is the right weight for their height or on the muscular side. You never have any fat people or skinny people in the military. I was so friggin' skinny (though I was over the minimum weight for my height) that my platoon sergeant used make me get seconds on field chow and give me all kinds of fattening candy and stuff that he brought with him to the field to eat. Which was funny, since I was incapable of gaining weight in those days because of a fast metabolism. :laugh:

Tenement
January 24th, 2009, 03:46 AM
I'd have my money on the Deathstar if it was in a scrap against any variation of the Enterprise. Planet killer against photon torpedo.....no contest

evil_genius_180
January 24th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Yeah, but the computer on the Enterprise (or a shuttlecraft) wouldn't have too much a problem hitting that exhaust pipe. If you took a runabout down that trench and hit the pipe with one of the micro torpedoes they carry, no more Death Star. :lol:

cyclone
January 26th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Here's an interesting bit... Darth Vader vs a borg. Hmmm assimilate the force.....

evil_genius_180
January 26th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I dunno, I think the Borg and Vader would have a lot in common. They're all evil cyborgs. ;)

cyclone
January 26th, 2009, 10:08 PM
LOL.... true, except that Vader doesn't have to be touching someone to affect them....

evil_genius_180
January 26th, 2009, 10:51 PM
That sounded a bit naughty. :shock:

Seriously, if Vader fought the Borg, it wouldn't bee too much of a battle. For one thing, he's a Dark Lord of the Sith. He could easily wipe out dozens of drones in one swipe of his hand. Also, he never goes anywhere without his contingent of Stormtroopers. While the Borg would no doubt be able to adapt to the Stormtroopers' blaster fire, their armor would give those assimilation tendrils a bit of a tough time, giving the Stormtroopers ample time to bludgeon the drones to death. :storm:

And there it is. I think I just set a new personal record for geekdum. :nonono:

cyclone
January 26th, 2009, 11:02 PM
LOL. So true. And the Deathstar can fire at long range... It could take out a cube nicely as well. That's another onethe borg wouldn't have a chance of assimilating... They'd be histroy before they knew what hit em. ;)

Tenement
January 27th, 2009, 07:08 AM
So we're agreed Star Wars wins by.....erm...just had a thought. VGER!!

cyclone
January 27th, 2009, 08:49 AM
ouch..... VGERis one of those problematic things. At distance the Death Str can blow it up, At close range? Hmmm. It could change the balance of power. Good point though.;)

Tenement
January 27th, 2009, 09:00 AM
I don't even think the Death Star could scratch VGER. 12 Astronomical Units in size. That's pretty big.

evil_genius_180
January 27th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Actually, it was over 82 AUs in size in the original movie. They scaled it back to 2 AUs in size for the Director's Series DVD. (they just edited the 80 from the dude's speeech)

cyclone
January 27th, 2009, 07:14 PM
I would have to conceed that fact. VGER is way too big. Centerpoint station might give Vger a run for it's money I think.

Tenement
January 28th, 2009, 02:10 AM
I guess we'd really see if there was something to 'Size matters not'.

cyclone
January 28th, 2009, 07:52 AM
LOL :D

Tenement
January 28th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Yoda -V- Q?

evil_genius_180
January 28th, 2009, 10:02 AM
There's also the fact that it was V'Ger's cloud that was 2 AU, not the vessel itself. After the cloud dissipated, the vessel entered orbit around Earth. That means it was probably smaller than Earth. And the Death Star did take out Alderaan without even straining a circuit.

Tenement
January 29th, 2009, 04:59 AM
I guess it would come to down to whoever had the longest range.
Omnipotent mechanical alien device or moon sized planet killer.
It's interesting to note that it's the bad guys with the serious hardware that are front runners in a duel and not the plucky heroes of either franchise.

evil_genius_180
January 29th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Of course, if you want to talk omnipotence, we Trekkies have the ultimate weapon on our side: Q. Not even The Force can stand up to his power. With the wave of his hand, the whole Jedi Order could cease to exist. Plus, even if anything in the SW universe could handle Q, he's not the only one of his kind. There are lots more in the Q Continuum. :evil:

Tenement
January 30th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Q wouldn't really be a problem as The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

evil_genius_180
January 30th, 2009, 09:20 AM
That doesn't even make any sense.

stegoman05
January 30th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Im big fan of both of them. To be honest, i dont know who would really can win. They both have their advantages and disadvantages, so who knows. About the deathstar vs whatever, it would be hard for it to hit starships from star trek, being most are very maneuverable compared to the star wars counterpart. From what i can tell from the movies, it would be difficult to hit a moving target. Anyways just my opinion.

evil_genius_180
January 30th, 2009, 11:33 PM
I know this much, Star Wars has better computer and video games. It's been almost a decade since a Trek game came out that was worth a damn.

Tenement
January 31st, 2009, 03:02 AM
I wish that Lucas Arts would bring out an update of X-Wing or Tie Fighter. That would be something to see with the current game engines that are out there. I think Tie Fighter was the best Star Wars game ever made. Flying a Tie was such a rush.

Tenement
February 3rd, 2009, 02:00 AM
Is there a decent Star Trek computer game?

evil_genius_180
February 6th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Starfleet Command

Tenement
February 7th, 2009, 02:00 AM
The last Star Trek computer game I played was Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Harbinger and it was just awful. Just unplayable and a complete waste of money.

evil_genius_180
February 7th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Starfleet Command is a 3D naval space combat game that's pretty cool. I've also played Starfleet Command III, which is very similar but the first game is in the movie era, the 3rd one is in the TNG era. The only thing that kind of aggravates me about the original game is the recharge time on the weapons (I can't remember if it's still slow on the 3rd one because it's been a while since I played it) but it's a great game. Plus, you can choose between 6 groups (Federation, Klingon, Romulan, Hydran, Lyran, Gorn) and you can either go on campaigns where you gain rank and prestige and can slowly increase what class of ship you're using (or refit your existing ship) or you can just choose the skirmish option and skip the formalities and go straight to combat. (with any ship you want to use) And you can download mods and import them, though there are more available for Stafleet Command 2 & 3.

It's the only Star Trek PC game that I've played that I'd actually recommend to someone, but you'd probably have to go on Amazon to find these days. Bridge Commander was occasionally OK, but not that great. And Starfleet Academy was fun at first but then go tedious. Most of the other Star Trek PC software that's worth a s*** isn't even games, it's some of the fun Simon & Schuster apps. like Captain's Chair and the interactive encyclopedia.

Tenement
February 10th, 2009, 07:13 AM
The only Star Trek game I really got into was Star Fleet battle manual. Once played never forgotten. (It used models of star fleet vessels and was played on the floor. A room of 4 metres by four metres would be on the tichy side.)

Mircea
April 3rd, 2009, 07:28 AM
Im a fan of both but I find it funny how the hardcore Star Trek guys think that the Enterprise could take out even a Super Star Destroyer without taking any damage and the Hardcore Star Wars guys say the exact opposite. Personally I think a Soverign Class might last for a bit against a Super Star Destroyer only because the amount of fire power between the two leans greatly to the Star Destroyer but the Shields on the Star Trek Vessels are supposedly more advanced. Though thats a bunch of bias crap for all we know they are the same.

Tenement
April 6th, 2009, 04:51 AM
I'd like to see a Borg Cube go Against the Death Star. That's a real toe to toe match.

gmd3d
April 6th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Just one of those arguments that can never be solved

TrentRaven
April 14th, 2009, 07:13 PM
When it all comes down to it, forget the firepower, the lightsaber absorbs it. Forget the shields, the lightsaber can penetrate it. Throw in the intuition, foresight, and telekenetic power of the Jedi, and Star Trek can't compete. I really was bored with the early Star Trek series and movies. While they were (and still are) highly regarded for their cinematic efforts, Star Trek movies cannot hold a flame to the rise of the Lucas empire. Star Wars has a ride at Disney, it packs any theater, in almost any town, with any movie it releases. Games fly off of shelves faster than LucasArts can supply them, and don't get me started about the merchandising. I can't go two days without seeing some kind of Star Wars reference somewhere in my everyday life.

Face it, whether or not you want to admit it, Star Wars dominates Star Trek in every contest you could devise in the real and physical world...(Not the "Who would win, Tie Fighter or a Transport Ship" questions.)

Oh, one last jab, I never hear collegiate bands playing the Star Trek theme at football games.

Fretslayer
April 14th, 2009, 08:49 PM
There is only one flaw I can see in your argument.
:)

It's kind of like saying Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus is a better musician than Beethoven because she sells more albums, has a TV show, has a movie and sells tons of merch.

Popular in market A does not mean 'better' in any market... just more popular.

Oh, and here's my jab - I don't recall the TOS Trek series 'borrowing' a fist full of themes from 'Dune'. Star Wars is so loaded with them I don't know if I should start at the 'spice smuggler', the 'desert planet' or perhaps the 'sandworm' they call a sarlack or something of that nature.
:biggrin:

Really, it all boils down to this - It doesn't matter which one is 'better' than the other.
Both are pretty awesome in their own right and I'd not want to have a scifi world without both. :laugh:

evil_genius_180
April 14th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Lightsabers can't penetrate shields. (or any energy fields)

Fretslayer
May 10th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Have you guys seen this yet?

http://current.com/items/90029658_starship-enterprise-destroyed-by-the-death-star.htm

gmd3d
May 11th, 2009, 01:41 AM
great effort in visuals :)

Tenement
May 11th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Brilliant and amazing motion tracking.

Fretslayer
May 11th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Brilliant and amazing motion tracking.

Indeed!

The shuttle shot really impressed me.
The whole thing is done quite nicely.

I found this clip on accident. :laugh:

Badploy
May 11th, 2009, 01:16 PM
New Movie trumps everything said... It is an Exciting reboot with endless possibilities...