PDA

View Full Version : A Question re: Lightwave v.8 and Stars

Fretslayer
February 12th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Hello all,
Sorry if this isn't the correct place to ask this question but I wasn't sure where else to do it.

I've been using Max for a few years now and while I'm pretty good with it, I've made the decision to jump over to Lightwave.

Here is my question...

I need to create a starfield in order to animate a space scene.
I've used modeler and the create>primative>star sphere to make my starfield and then I've placed my ships inside of the star sphere. It looks great until I try to animate the scene... When I move my camera, the stars move along with it.
I don't want that to happen.
I need the stars to be disconnected from the camera so my ships look like they're moving through a vast space.

I know how to resolve this issue within MAX, however being a noob @ LW I'm kind of stuck.

If any of you LW-Gurus could help me, I would really appreciate it and I will bring you nice shrubbery.

:D

etwtewtew
February 16th, 2007, 12:14 PM
It sounds like somehow or another your star sphere became parented to your camera, I could throw out a better guess if you could post a screen cap of your scene editor panel

Fretslayer
February 16th, 2007, 02:56 PM
First off, Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question.

I think I may have figured it out, however I've hit a different wall - the stars themselves are not nearly a bright as I need them to be. I'm trying to get a starscape which looks like something you'd see in the new version of Galactica.

Here is an image of my scene editor as well as a single frame of the shot I'm trying to create. The nebula in this shot is just a background image and I've placed my star-sphere and Enterprise mesh in front of them.

Again, thank you for your time and assistance.

etwtewtew
February 16th, 2007, 03:44 PM
I'm pretty sure I can help with the brightness issue, it's not brightness you're after in so much as it's width, if you open scene editor, right click your star object, go into item properties, click the rendering tab, and change particle line/thickness from 1.0 pixels, to around 2.0 pixels, and that should do it, you'll want a little variety so you might try and try different pixel values for different star objects

Fretslayer
February 16th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Thank you for the help.
The stars are now illuminated to a much better degree.

Again, thank you very much.
I really appreciate the help.