PDA

View Full Version : The Day the Earth Stood Still - Neo Style

evil_genius_180
September 5th, 2007, 10:53 PM
I guess someone feels they need to remake the classic movie The Day the Earth Stood Still. (though I don't know why, the original is great.)

Anyway, this was posted on another forum. Apparently they want Keanu Reeves to play the role of Klaatu.

Full Story Here (http://www.cinematical.com/2007/08/27/gort-keanu-barada-neo-reeves-to-star-in-stood-still-remake/)

Is it just me or does that sound really bad? I mean, I know Keanu is pretty much an alien but I just don't see this one happening:

Klaatu: "Dude, for our police, we, like, so created a race of super mega badass robots."

Anyone else feel this could go badly?

Kakaze
September 6th, 2007, 08:58 AM
While I'm not too happy about Keanu for the job I do have to point out that the days of him playing a hopeless airhead are very very far behind us. I didn't care for The Matrix but if that's any indication he shouldn't be too bad in the part.

Personally I'd rather see someone like Ralph Finnes playing Klaatu. Or if they're looking for someone to pander to a younger audience, Ewan McGregor.

evil_genius_180
September 6th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Actually, I don't have too much a problem with Keanu. I was attempting to be funny with my made up quote. He's made some good movies. As long as he doesn't have to attempt a British accent (Bram Stoker's Dracula.)

One reason I don't like him for the role is he doesn't look the part, IMO. Michael Rennie was tall, 6' 4", and thin. They also put him next to a lot of shorter actors and did a number of "looking up at him" camera angles that made him seem more out of place in the crowd. Keanu isn't that tall, 6' 1". And he's pretty average looking, he can blend into a crowd. My idea of Klaatu in this day and age when people are typically taller than they were in '51 would be someone around 6' 6" or 6' 8" and thin to give that impression that Michael Rennie did.

I'd like to know who they're going to get to play Gort. Lock Martin was one of the tallest actors ever, 7' 7". I don't know who these days can fill that role. I hope they don't get cheesy on us and use CGI. That would suck.

etwtewtew
September 7th, 2007, 06:13 AM
I hope they don't get cheesy on us and use CGI. That would suck.
Knowing FOX it will be all CG and shot on greenscreen!

evil_genius_180
September 7th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Yeah, unfortunately. That seems to be the answer these days. There's something to be said for movies back in the day when stuff had to be built and work because they couldn't CG it.

Kakaze
September 7th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Knowing FOX it will be all CG and shot on greenscreen!

Oh god, I'm having violent flashbacks to Sky Captain...even stuff that had absolutely no need to be made CG whatsoever were made CG. It was ridiculous. And not only that but the whole movie seemed like it was filmed with an inch of vaseline on the lens.

:shudder:

evil_genius_180
September 7th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Yeah, they filmed the whole thing on the Lucas studio (huge freakin' sound stage with plain blue walls.) They also fudged the colors in Photoshop. It's the same thing they did with 300. I like some movies in that style, but not all. It kinda works in 300, though, because that's basically a live-action graphic novel.

Kakaze
September 7th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Oh god...I hated it even more in 300.

Plus 300 just plain sucked, crap computer processing aside.

Robot
April 29th, 2008, 02:04 AM
I just wonder how will they make that police robot?

evil_genius_180
April 29th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Probably CGI. It's the way to go these days. :(

johnart
November 14th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Keanu is a good actor (bill and ted's excellent adventure).. just don't let him speak too much.

evil_genius_180
November 14th, 2008, 08:36 PM
He's a decent actor. I think he's generally underrated. Just don't let him try a British accent (Bram Stoker's Dracula.) But I am getting a little more warm and fuzzy about this movie since it's not really a remake, it just has the same name as the original. Apparently everything else is going to be different.

I did hear a nasty rumor earlier that they're going to remake Forbidden Planet. (now they're bordering on blasphemy.) But that's what Hollywood is for; to make and remake stuff to death in an attempt to suck every dime out of us. (and, sadly, it works.)