PDA

View Full Version : LW obj to .obj?

the3dgm
June 15th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Is there a way to export a LW model out of LW as an .obj and still maintain the individual parts and textures?

Flattening the layers gives me a lump, not what I want. Any ideas?

Darrell Lawrence
June 15th, 2008, 07:19 AM
http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1126

http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=2242

See if those help.

Darrell Lawrence
June 16th, 2008, 08:32 PM
So did that help?

the3dgm
June 16th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Sorry for not answering back Warrior, no I have UVMapper, it is just for apply textures to models, primarily poser models. the other program is somewhat the same. I can't get the lwobj out of LW as an obj, unless I want to bring out all 280+ pieces and reassemble them I'm going to try and save it as a LW obj and then take it into a conversion porgram and hope for the best.

Darrell Lawrence
June 17th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Use them in combination. That second one exports the mtl files. UVMapper imports mtl fils I believe.

So export the obj file and the mtl file, load both up into UVMapper.

Thus, the object will now have the UV maps from the mtl file.

Or it should.

I'll try it out a bit later and see what happens.

the3dgm
June 17th, 2008, 05:04 AM
hmmm. . .the point you seem to be missing Warrior is in order to use either of the above two programs I have to be able to get an .obj out of LW. This is what I could not do as it is a LW model is in a great many layers. Now I could bring out each layer by itself but that gives me over 280+ individual parts that import at the same size and would require very nearly rebuilding the model. Or, I could flatten the layers and export the obj file as a one piece obj and use your programs to attempt to reapply the materials to the one obj, however, that brings into play more problems then it's worth. That and the fact that movable parts no longer exist!

The answer to my problem is a program called Accu-Trans 3D. This is a 3D obj conversion program that, unlike others, can read LW obj files and convert them well into .obj, .3ds, .cob, and many others. Also, saving the .mtl file which may now bring into play the two programs you mentioned.

Thanks Warrior! It's you and EG and others that make being a member here worth it.