PDA

View Full Version : Strange behavior

fungun
July 26th, 2008, 08:19 AM
I use Celestia, the space sim. I also use Anim8or for my modeling. I have downloaded a few models from the net, some are 3ds, some I have had to convert from lwo or obj into 3ds. To use them in Celestia I have to resize and/or change the textures for them to work. Celestia requires powers of 2 ie 1024x512 ect. When I have rendered them in anim8or to look fine. When I add the to Celestia they have transparent parts. I have checked all the materials and textures and there is no transperancy set. This is driving me crazy. I have tried everything I know. Any help would be very welcome.
Thans
Tim
ambassador model from startrekaustralia.com

gmd3d
July 26th, 2008, 08:40 AM
don't know much about either programs .. but perhaps the polys are flipped some time that happens between different progs .... other that that I have no idea

evil_genius_180
July 26th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Yeah, that's what it looks like happened. I don't do a lot of converting but I know you get a lot of flipped faces when you convert files. And, unfortunately, I don't know much about those programs either (I've played a little in Anim8or but that's about it) so I don't know how to fix things like that. About the only thing I can think of is, if it works fine in Anim8or, I'd suggest trying to export it to other formats that Celestia can import and see if it still happens.

fungun
July 27th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Figured it out with some help over at Foundation3D. I had to use 2 other settings-flip normals and fix normals. Now all is fine.
Thanks
Tim