PDA

View Full Version : Flipping normals prob

fungun
August 28th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Guys, I am having a hard time here with an .obj model. I converted it to 3ds, ok that worked. The textures and everything came out just right. By the way, for now I am using Anim8or.
Rendered it in anim8or's renderer and it looked really cool.
Loaded it into Celestai (a 3d space sim)http://www.shatters.net/celestia/index.html
Now comes the bad part, some of the model is transparent. So I took it back into Anim8or, ungrouped it, started flipping/fixing normals.
Now the really bad part, when one part of the model flips, so does another. They just won't seperate enough.
If any of you model gurus want a crack at it, I will post/send it.
Here is a pic.
Thanks
Tim

ps I have complete permission from the artist/author. He emailed it to me.
Workbee by, James Trexler

evil_genius_180
August 28th, 2008, 07:26 PM
You need to see if there is a way to select the flipped faces individually and flip only those faces. I've only every glanced at Anim8or, so I have no idea if it has that kind of tool.

UrbanArmitage
August 28th, 2008, 11:59 PM
I know that you can use Rhino3D to flip normals quite easily. You may want to have a look at it at http://www.rhino3d.com because they have a fully-functional demo that will save 25 times. It will work with Wavefront OBJ models without a hitch. Their forums are quite good and there are a lot of tutorials on the 'net.

UA

fungun
August 29th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Well I tried a diff aproach. I took the 3ds file and seperated each layer then saved them as their own model. Next I found the faces that needed flipped. Saved each model, then put all the layers back together again. Whew lol, it took awhile but it was worth it! Looks beautiful now.
Will post a screen shot soon.
Thanks
Tim

evil_genius_180
August 29th, 2008, 09:40 PM
At least you figured it out. It may not have been the best approach (I really don't know) but it's the result that matters. :)

fungun
August 29th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Well here she is :biggrin:
Tim