PDA

View Full Version : Jurassic Park author Michael Crichton has died

gmd3d
November 5th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Jurassic Park author Michael Crichton has died in Los Angeles at the age of 66, according to his website.

The creator of the popular TV drama ER died "unexpectedly" after a private battle with cancer, his family said.

Crichton, a medical doctor turned novelist, has sold than 150 million of his books worldwide.

His family said in a statement on the website: "While the world knew him as a great story teller that challenged our preconceived notions about the world around us - and entertained us all while doing so - his wife Sherri, daughter Taylor, family and friends knew Michael Crichton as a devoted husband, loving father and generous friend who inspired each of us to strive to see the wonders of our world through new eyes."

"He did this with a wry sense of humor that those who were privileged to know him personally will never forget."

Crichton was born in Chicago on October 23, 1942 and wrote his first novels under pen names while attending Harvard Medical School.

The Andromeda Strain, which was published in 1969, became his first best-seller.

In addition to Jurassic Park and its sequel, The Lost World, which became blockbuster Hollywood films, Crichton wrote Congo, The Terminal Man, Prey and State of Fear.

evil_genius_180
November 6th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Don't forget Sphere. Even though it might not have done as well, that's a great book and a great Sci-Fi flick, IMO. That's sad news indeed. This is the first I'm hearing of this, so thanks for informing us, Ger.

mcmiller
November 6th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I literally grew up on hard sci-fi like his The Andromeda Strain. This is an enormous loss. No telling if he had any more good stories still waiting to be put to paper.

gmd3d
November 7th, 2008, 01:23 AM
I have enjoyed many of his books .. I have The Andromeda Strain . book and film and audio book .. my fav story

he will be missed

evil_genius_180
November 7th, 2008, 09:03 AM
I've never read or seen that one. I'll have to check it out. However, I love Jurassic Park and The Lost World. And, as I mentioned, Sphere. I think that's the only of his books I've read all the way through. I read part of Jurassic Park once. He definitely will be missed.

gmd3d
November 7th, 2008, 11:31 AM
its a great book .. I love the early film directed by Robert Wise .. I know there has been a remake but I always find they lack the impact of the orignal .. imho

The Andromeda Strain (1969), by Michael Crichton, is a techno-thriller novel documenting the efforts of a team of scientists investigating a deadly extraterrestrial microorganism that rapidly and fatally clots human blood. This novel established Michael Crichton as a best-selling genre author.

Fretslayer
November 7th, 2008, 12:57 PM
The man was so far ahead of his time that it's almost scary.
The first of his films I can recall seeing is titled 'Looker'
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082677/

In short the story goes like this...

Ad advertising agency uses lasers to scan in the body of actors and actresses and makes CG versions of them for use in their commercials. Of course they have to kill the real life version though. It's a really slick and interesting movie worth taking a look at.

For those of us who live in a world were scanning in the face of body of a real life person and animating it in CG form is today's reality, this film shows that as far back as 1981 this man imagined the tools that today we take for granted.

Synopsis from IMDB.com:

Plastic surgeon Larry Roberts performs a series of minor alterations on a group of models who are seeking perfection. The operations are a resounding success. But when someone starts killing his beautiful patients, Dr. Roberts becomes suspicious and starts investigating. What he uncovers are the mysterious - and perhaps murderous - activities of a high-tech computer company called Digital Matrix

mcmiller
November 7th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Westworld was also one of my all-time favorite films as a kiddie sci-fi geek. I had long forgotten that he wrote and directed that film. Coma was another influential film of that period that he made, although I don't believe he wrote the original book. I may also have a old copy of the Great Train Robbery still lying around.

Fretslayer
November 7th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Yeah, Westworld! That would have been my first film of his as well.
Again, the dude was ahead of his time.

Freeman43
November 15th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Nooo! hes one my favorite writers. (sigh) it is sad but at least we will remember him as long as his books are around.
To a good writer and a good person where ever you may be you work will not be forgotten so easily in this world...