PDA

View Full Version : The Bryce zone.

psycoderek
November 14th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Ok I hope the mods don't mind but I am starting a bryce zone.
Bryce is a 3D application for all your renders.

To get you started with bryce I have written a quick guide to save you all the hassle of looking through the help files. It is very basic and comes with screen grabs but it outlines the basic functions of bryce. I use version 6 but it is applicable to version 5.

Bryce is available from http://www.daz3d.com/ and i think there is another link somewhere here in the forum for a download site from cnet.

Ok get the quick start guide from here
http://digitalvault.bt.com/invite/login?c=343239313337&i=456279-11cbfcf0d84-gemini06&t=81b20eb2147b485a&r=mg&lang=en

and get playing with Bryce.

I will use this post to link you to more Bryce related stuff as I go unless the mods say other wise.

I appologise in advance if this is not the correct course to take and will take any advice offered by the moderators.

Thanks Psyco

psycoderek
November 14th, 2008, 07:55 PM
First render tut now available.

To get you startred I wrote a quick guide for new users. Using the link there you can go to my vault and down load the first render tutorial to get you well on your way. You will also find two other tutorials i wrote a couple of months ago for smoke and flames effects and a bubble making tut.

enjoy.
Pictured below is the result of this tutorial.

Psyco

psycoderek
November 15th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Get your copy of Bryce 5.5 here.

http://www.download.com/1770-20_4-0.html?query=Bryce&tag=srch&searchtype=downloads&filterName=platform%3DWindows&filter=platform%3DWindows

I think this may be in the useful links section if not here you go. You ca also download the Bryce presets from here too. Do not download the Bryce 6 application it costs $99. If you want to upgrade then buy the upgrade pack from Daz studio at half the cost. This will get you started with your renders.

Have fun all.

gmd3d
November 15th, 2008, 03:50 AM
No I think it a great idea and thanks for posting it.. I would incourage all bryce user to make use of it . I will be one of them thanks :)

Fretslayer
November 15th, 2008, 04:12 AM
Just my opinion (after having Bryce'd for several years) but Bryce isn't that strong for starscapes - how about sharing some landscape pics? That would really show off the power of Bryce. It's really, really good at landscape footage.

BTW - Warrior said he was going to hook me up with a YouTube'ish type of code so I can share something with y'all. Now that there is a 'Bryce' page this would be the place to do it.

It's the original footage (now used as story boards) for my SciFi animated film 'The Legacy of Time'.

It's made 99% pure Bryce (the early MetaCreations version!) and the only thing in it that isn't Bryce are my P4 people.

I know it kind of sucks but it's kind of cool at the same time - and it does a good job of showing just how much horsepower you can get out of Bryce if you kick it really hard.

Just so you know Pychoderek - I'm not downing Bryce in anyway - It's what I cut my teeth on. I think Bryce is one of the best 'Welcome to the world of CG' programs out there. It's simple to use and gives awesome results.

It does however have it's limitations and what happened to me is that I hit a plateau with Bryce and only MAX and LWO were able to rescue me.
:)

gmd3d
November 15th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Starscapes or Landscapes .. is good .. Personally Landscapes is an area I like to see .. esp for my land based images Id like to do ..

but I have not had time you to look at the program properly yet

psycoderek
November 15th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Ask and ye shall recieve. I shall start work on a landscape scene and ascociated tutorial right away.

Fretslayer My good friend. I fully understand your sentements. There does come a time when you take a piece of software as far as it can go. That's the nature of your growth. It is heartening that so many cut thier teeth on Bryce and I am very pleased that you still have a soft spot for it.

Thanks to people like you and Teranis I gain in confidence. When I joined 3D gladiators i said i had found a home with like minded people. I was right. I have recieved encouragement and praise for my meagre efforts from people who are kind of heart and generous to a fault.

This kindness makes me strive to improve and share. I have seen your work Fretslayer and it is incredible. I have a lng way to go but I know that in time i will get there. I have yet to try my hand at animation. I am concentrating on Scenes first. animation for me is years away until then I will continue to improve and share what I learn.

thanks guys. I will work even harder to help my new family.

Fretslayer
November 15th, 2008, 09:24 AM
You're too kind. LOL!

Something about Bryce that was really important to me when I first used it was that I was able to animate on day one.

I have taught a few of my friends Bryce basics and watched them run with it.
It's a great program to get started in and even at the stage were some around here are at it's still a great tool for landscapes and backgrounds.

I'll always have soft spot for it - Without Bryce I wouldn't have ever gotten the concept of key frame animation. I owe a lot to that program and it makes me smile to know that others are still using it.

Hell, I wonder if I should go back and revisit it now and again.
I think that v.6 allows for importing of Poser and Daz animations. That would be pretty awesome if it did.

I'm going to be sharing something soon that I made years ago in Bryce.
I hope it shows off the software a bit.
It was an old verison I had though - I think it may have been 1.0.
The last version I had was v.5 but by then I was already getting my feet wet in 3DsMax and so I didn't do much in B5.

And yah, this is a pretty cool site because there are so many people using different software and nobody acts like their software is the killer goods and software X is beneath them. I haven't found any snobs around here. :)

gmd3d
November 15th, 2008, 09:46 AM
And yah, this is a pretty cool site because there are so many people using different software and nobody acts like their software is the killer goods and software X is beneath them. I haven't found any snobs around here. :)

I am sure Warrior appreciates that..

but in continuing your thread of thought .. I have seen people make awesome models with programs I would never had thought would be any good.

(This is because I could not use them)

case in point .. Truespace .. never got the hang of it .. so I gave up on it moved to Lightwave.. and could use it . I had given up on Truespace . and thrown it to the scrap heap of CGI haven .. that was until I ran across EG180
and others who have really opened my eyes.

So in short I learned a valuable lesson.. Its not the program but the mind behind it..

Fretslayer
November 15th, 2008, 10:48 AM
'...So in short I learned a valuable lesson.. Its not the program but the mind behind it.'

That is so very true.
I've messed with several different modeling and animating tools and I know which ones I'm most comfortable with. That makes all the difference in the world.

gmd3d
November 15th, 2008, 10:52 AM
I have given this thread a rating of (5) for good work :)

psycoderek
November 15th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Thanks teranis.

ok here is the landscape base tutorial to get you all going. I have uploaded a zip file to my vault called landscapetutorialandmaterials. It includes a snow material for you to use. I am going to put together some of the materials i have found on the net in a zip for Bryce users to download to thier user files shortly.

The link in the intro to the thread is the one you need so go there and click to get to the vault. The images here are the result of the tutorial. The winter scene is the tut scene and the spring scene is exactly the same but wiht the snow all gone. Just a taste of the power of Bryce as a landscape creater.
I have introduced new users to the terrain editor in bryce. It is brief so that you have a good play with it. It is part of my encouragement process. It will help you discover your own potential rather than following mine by the letter.

Enjoy the tutorial and I will write another one soon.

Psyco.
Cool, 5 star rating. I am honored.

psycoderek
November 15th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Hi all
here's another tutorial I have created for you. this is a much simpler one following on from the landscape these of the last one.
this is for a basic seascape. You can download it from my vault using the link in the welcome message below.

I used all bryce default meshes and materials so you should have them in your version. If you do not have the Deep sea material let me know and I'll upload it to the vault as part of the materials pack I am preparing.

See the image below for the tutorial result.

have fun all
Psyco.

gmd3d
November 15th, 2008, 02:50 PM
these are great,, I'll have a look soon mate

Fretslayer
November 15th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Bryce always does great water.
All of them are nice images.
Bryce in the right hands is a heck of a thing.

psycoderek
November 15th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks guys. i am looking at water splash effects at the moment in Bryce as well as sea spray. It's a tricky effect to pull off. As soon as I have it mastered i will do a tutorial for it. I am also going to look at wind effect as part of my ongoing projects. I am trying to find as much as possible to give members plenty to think about.

I am continuing to push 3D Gladiators over at Daz in an effort to get more people involved. I am especially trying to get the Model builders in here so that they can share a few secrets.

The more knowledgable people i can convince the better it will be for all members here. I am also working on a model and trying to texture without resulting to premade textures. It is quite a challenge along with the bryce stuff but in the end well worth the effort. My partner is looking for more psp brushes for me especially brushes that give a hull plating effect.

I'll post more tuts as i work out the finer points of Bryce and Blender.

Laters my friends.

Psyco

gmd3d
November 15th, 2008, 03:58 PM
sounds good .. I like too see more tutorials too ... I will be looking into one soon .

psycoderek
November 15th, 2008, 04:39 PM
thanks for that. I amworking right now on another water effect called washover.

it's for those rock scenes that have water washing over them. I am going on to develop that into waterfall as well.

here's the first render of the effect.

Fretslayer
November 15th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Ok, I don't know if it's more proper to post this here or in the animation thread.
But I figure that since it's a Bryce thread I'd drop it here for now.

Here is a link to a page I set up for you guys here.
It's my very first animation and it's made 90% in Bryce 3D.
I did this around 2,002 or so.
It's rough but it was my start so it's kind of cool - to me anyway. :)

Just make sure you read the stuff I posted about it so that it all makes sense and I even have a section at the bottom of the page where you can read a short version of the main plot.

I hope you enjoy it and and all of that.

http://wabashponies.com/dan/

Here's a very compressed version for dial up connections
http://wabashponies.com/dan/LegacyOLD.wmv -- it's only 3mb in size.

In order to get it that small I had to compress it to something like 320x240.
If you are going to load up the dial up version, please look at the webiste link first because it has important information about the file.

psycoderek
November 15th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Enjoy it? It was first class. Who's have thought that was your first animation.
If you hadn't have told me i would have thought you had a few years under your belt before that one.

Superb Job.

Fretslayer
November 15th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Want to see something funny?
Go back and watch it again...
At 59 seconds in take a look at the computer screen (the large one) on the desk.
Look familar?
LOL!

psycoderek
November 15th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Now that wouldn't be you playing techno geek would it? LOL

Fretslayer
November 15th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Do you recognize the screen?
I've not seen that app in a while so I don't know if the newer versions still look that way.

psycoderek
November 15th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Bryce has had a make over. there are screen shots of it in my tutorial. Have a gander and see if it looks the same. My water splash experiments are getting frustrating but I am getting close. Now some animation to think about.
I have animate for daz studio as well as jasc animation shop 3 and a few other basic progs from seriff. I'm sure I can dream up a few seconds with that lot. I had a dancing robot avi that I created until my pc went poooof. Must redo that when my new graphics card arrives. mines a little small for 3d at 128 megs and a 200 clock speed. I got clued up by the makers of truespace.

Fretslayer
November 15th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Your stuff looks good to me.
I really like the ship shot.
Something about ships in the stormy seas has always captured my interest.

psycoderek
November 16th, 2008, 03:04 AM
Thanks frets, My partner loves your animation. i had to show her it is so good.

Robot
November 18th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Bryce is truly a great program, but is there a way to convert Bryce files to be used in other programs? I made some interiors and I don't know how to convert them. Any help in that?

Fretslayer
November 18th, 2008, 06:21 AM
That was something I hated about Bryce back when I used it - Lack of export. Grrrr.

The newer versions might support it and DazStudio can probably import Bryce files.
I'm willing to wager that Psycoderek would know.

psycoderek
November 18th, 2008, 09:19 AM
If you create an object in Bryce such as a mountain or building then you should be able to use the Eport tab in the files menu and export as an obj file. It's not something I have done yet but I will do some experiments and see. i know when I create a custom terrain it can be exported normally. I assume this is the case with anything created in bryce. I have yet to begin using bryce for making models so I'll do a scratch and see what export formats are available.

psycoderek
November 18th, 2008, 09:26 AM
I have tried a scratch model in Bryce 6 and the export option is NOT available. If you create a custom terrain however and even the default one this can be exported. It seems strange that a custom odel can't be exported the same way. i am going to have a play around to see what else can't be done or if there is something missing in the settings option.

I'll get back to you on that one. I'll ask in the bryce forums as well and see what they ahve to say.

psyco

Fretslayer
November 18th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I remember there was a properties tab for the items and unless it had an [E] you couldn't export it. Before I figured out the limitations of the export feature I built a bunch of models in Bryce using the positive/negative properties to carve my models out of the available shapes.

psycoderek
November 18th, 2008, 09:33 AM
This is waht the guide says on the subject of exporting.

The Export Object command allows you to export out terrains, symlats, and converted Boolean meshes from Bryce in the following formats:

3D Studio 3DS Files (.3ds)
AutoCAD DXF Files (.dxf)
Direct3D Files (.x)
Infini-D 4.0 Files (.id4)
Lightwave Files (.lws)
MetaStream Files (.mts)
PGM Files (.pgm)
Ray Dream Studio Files (.rds)
RayShade HF Files (.hf)
TrueSpace Files (.cob)
USGS DEM Files (.dem)
VideoScape Files (.vsa)
VRML 1.0 Files (.wrl)
Wavefront OBJ Files (.obj)
WorldToolKit NFF Files (.nff)
When you export a file, you save information, such as vertices, smoothed normals, UVs (texture coordinates), and texture maps.

Some file formats have limitations. For example, DXF doesn’t support smooth normals or UVs. If the file format doesn’t support texture embedding, each texture map is written as a separate image at the same location specified for the mesh file. The names of the images will start with the name you specified for the mesh file and include the name of the material. If UV information can’t be written, two texture maps are exported: one for the top part and one for the bottom. (Issue)

When you export to a 2D format such as DEM or PGM, all the possible texture maps are generated.

I hope this helps.

psycoderek
November 18th, 2008, 09:38 AM
The little E is the edit tab situated under the little m for materials. This is for general editing. There is also and antributes button at the top of that tree. There you will find the booleanoptions for each object in use. Confused? Well you will be after the next episode of SOAP.

psycoderek
November 18th, 2008, 09:40 AM
The Export Object command cannot be used to export rocks or objects that were imported from another program, like Poser or DS, or a Boolean group that was converted, exported, then re-imported into Bryce. Instead, these objects are exported using a shortcut key.

To export a rock or imported object:

Select a rock or a previously imported mesh. If the group contains a Bryce primitive (non-converted), it will not export.
Click on the button next to the selected object or group. The Edit Mesh dialog comes up.

Press Cmd/Ctrl+D. The Save As dialog comes up.
Enter a file name in the File name field.
Select a file format from the Save as type field and click on Save. The mesh will be exported.

heres some more info about exporting including a shortcut key operation

Robot
November 18th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Well the thing is that File menu does contain 'Export Object' command but it's turned off. I read something on Bryce forums on how to export and they said this: If Grouped - Ungroup (until 'U' disappears),
select all the parts,
click the little "A" gadget next to the objects,
set them to Positive and OK it,
regroup,
convert with the little "C",
Export Object from File menu.

But for me problem arises between steps of regroup and convert with the little "C". I click little 'G' icon (to group) and then i click 'C' and it starts converting I guess and that lasts forever. Cursor turns to sand watch and I have to wait. I left it for two hours and it was still processing. So I don't know what to do. But for instance if I don't click 'group' again, process lasts only few second and I'm able to export it, but only a small part of it.

psycoderek
November 18th, 2008, 01:46 PM
That is one of the major drawbacks with Bryce. Conversions are very time consuming because of the way Bryce renders and applys maps and textures.
A lot of it depends on your pc. I run a 3 gig system with 2 gig memory and 128 graphics for now. I am upgrading my graphics card in an effort to speed Rendering up. as for exporting the more there is in the model the longer it will take. I only model in Blender because it's some what less time consuming. The only drawback I have there is texturing. I am still getting to grips with it. If I make a model there and import to Bryce to texture I can't export it again with out converting So with Bryce it's catch 22. It's perfect for Renders and useless for model building. The best bet wold be to get a specific application for building models. Blender is free and carrara costs money. Carrara links with bryce by file association. It's about time daz released an obp file conversion tool to speed up conversions to file types. Ie convert from say obj to obp for import in to bryce. Still obj's are useable in bryce anyhoo so that's pointless but they could develop and outward application as a plugin for bryce to speed up conversions. The Bryce forum has numerous complaints about it. It is something most live with and others work around.

Of corse you could convert the parts and assemble them in another application but what's the point. You want to convert the whole thing and not have the hassle of waiting until hell freezes over. My suggstion. do the conversions while you sleep that way the pc is dedicated to that task alone.
until Daz comes up with a decent conversion system for bryce then that's all we can do.

psycoderek
November 18th, 2008, 01:48 PM
O my fellow brycers. I found a couple of galactica models By J hoagland and his pal sparky. These are great. The MK2 Viper and cylon attack craft are very detailed and i thought I would share the image i created out of them in Bryce.

PeterRama
November 19th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Very cool. I have those as well, just not the time to do anything with them yet.

J Hoagland does a lot of great models that he gives out for free...

More of his stuff can be found at http://vanishingpoint.biz/

psycoderek
November 20th, 2008, 03:05 AM
Yeh, they are great. I got his Blue thunder model too. He is very talented.

PeterRama
November 20th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Just tried getting onto Vanishing point... seems they are making some changes over there...

Fretslayer
November 20th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Renderosity.com has a lot of great Bryce content.
If you've not checked it out yet, you might want to.

PeterRama
November 20th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Renderosity.com has a lot of great Bryce content.
If you've not checked it out yet, you might want to.

Yes they do!

I have a gallery at the following sites:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=67645

http://artzone.daz3d.com/index.php?mode=people_card&p_id=16545

Also, 3d Commune has a lot of resources as well -
http://www.3dcommune.com/3d/

gmd3d
November 20th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Loved seen you gallery mate ,, awesome work

Fretslayer
November 20th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Pretty cool stuff in the Rosity gallery.
I haven't had a chance to check the others but what I saw was pretty cool.

PeterRama
November 20th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Thanks!

gmd3d
November 20th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Have to see if you can give some Tutorials here some time .. love that work

PeterRama
November 20th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Have to see if you can give some Tutorials here some time .. love that work

You bet!

I have not created any tutorials myself, but I can share those that helped me get started...

gmd3d
November 20th, 2008, 07:50 AM
thats great .. if you can post links .. I will add them to our Help list here :)http://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22780

PeterRama
November 20th, 2008, 08:15 AM
I'll post links that I have a little later today.

There are a lot that I downloaded and those sites are now gone...
I can create a list of what I have & then email zip files to folks...

gmd3d
November 20th, 2008, 09:12 AM
you can just post them in the thread , and i'll add them to the main list .. the tutorial link in now in my signature list. below my post:) ..

psycoderek
November 24th, 2008, 03:42 AM
Hi all.
It has taken a little time to sort these out. i had to check permissions first.

The download link below will take you to 4 rar files containing all my user materials for bryce.

Simply extract them to you bryce materials folder. EG

c:prgramfiles/daz/bryce/presets/materials/user

Put these in your user folder and they will automatically be available from the user drop down.

get the files here.
http://digitalvault.bt.com/media/guestView.jsp?user=psycoderek&collectionName=35c58-11dc105f8e3-gemini03&screenName=R+BEASLEY&lang=en&screenName=R%20BEASLEY

Winrar trial available here http://www.download.com/WinRAR/3000-2250_4-10007677.html?tag=mncol&cdlPid=10890490

enjoy

psycoderek
December 6th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Hi all.
Ok not been in here for a while to update you but I have found a bug for blender users that I am working on now. When Blender users export in 3DS format it appears that Bryce gives an error when importing. I think that this is due to the texturing done in Blender. 3ds formats made in other programs don't appear to have this problem. I am looking at the settings in both Blender and Bryce to see what's what since it is getting annoying. Now it may be a case of export with out textures and then texture in bryce. I am goint to create a model as a test subject and save the textures separately to see what happens. i am also going to test the apply settings in blender as per the uv maps. this little bug will take a while and may requie the help of the daz forum so I'll keep you posted. If any Blender/Bryce users are having any success importing can you let me know what your texture settings are so that i can try these in versions 2.47 and 2.48.

thanks
Psyco

Fretslayer
December 6th, 2008, 07:13 AM
I may be mistaken but isn't the 3DS format a bit buggy in and of itself with regards to import/export and textures?

I always do my import/export formats with OBJ files because of the 3DS issues.
Could just be that I'm using weird software though. :lol:

gmd3d
December 6th, 2008, 07:37 AM
I think most LW users export as OBJ files also .. but I am not sure

Fretslayer
December 6th, 2008, 07:57 AM
I think most LW users export as OBJ files also .. but I am not sure

That may be why I tend to use the OBJ format.
I have used LWO in the past (and still do from time to time) but something I just noticed is that (at least this happens to me) when I export as a 3DS file the texture file names get all screwed up.

Engineering Hull Spec.jpg will end up with a name like EngH.jpg

I know that's one of main problems I hit with that format.
...that and when I import a 3DS file into Carrara it's all screwed up and pieces are everywhere. It's a big mess. LOL!

For me and what I do - OBJ is the most stable format for file export/import.

psycoderek
December 6th, 2008, 09:29 AM
At least it isn't just me. I thought it was just the way my system was set up. I'll have to have a word with Blender foundation and query this. OBJ files are ok to use as long as I texture them properly.

Oh well at least I can export in a trusted format for my fans. LOL