PDA

View Full Version : Legionnaires!!!

Darrell Lawrence
November 21st, 2008, 08:30 AM
The founding members of the Legion of Superheroes will be on Smallville, which will air in January.

The Persuader will be the villian!!!

evil_genius_180
November 21st, 2008, 08:44 AM
Why not? That show already has absolutely nothing to do with Superman comics or any of the previous TV shows or movies (it hasn't since about the 3rd season or so.) So, why not just throw each and every character from the DC universe on there?

Darrell Lawrence
November 21st, 2008, 08:53 AM
...ummm The Legion IS a part of the SMALLVILLE time period of Superman's life... when he was a kid.

So the Legion is a natural to appear on the show. Same with the Persuader as a villain.

evil_genius_180
November 21st, 2008, 09:01 AM
Funny, I've read the Man of Steel mini-series ('80s re-start of the Superman comics) and I don't remember any Legion of Superheroes in Smallville. But I also never really was one for reading comics religiously anyway. Just issues and graphic novels here and there. And I especially hate those ones where they go back to an earlier time and go "Oh yeah, this also happened back then also," which would have to have been what happened with this Legion of Superheroes, since it didn't happen in the previously mentioned Man of Steel mini-series.

Darrell Lawrence
November 21st, 2008, 09:06 AM
There was a LONG history before "Man of Steel" :)

The Legion started way back in the 1950's. Both Superboy AND Supergirl were members.

The Crisis in 1985 wiped out the Superboy and Supergirl stuff. However, the current DCU has brought back the Superman ties to the Legion by having a young Clark having met the Legion rather than as Superboy.

gmd3d
November 21st, 2008, 09:07 AM
Yea I remember the legion stories

evil_genius_180
November 21st, 2008, 09:11 AM
Ah, I see. In that case, never mind. ;)

However, like I said, I was never a fan of religiously reading comics mostly because I don't like a lot of the directions they go trying to come up with a years' worth of comics. They took a lot of stuff too far, IMO, and went in some stupid directions trying to keep the comics fresh. It's the same for all comics, IMO. It was also the same for me with Smallville. I thought they went way too far a few years ago when they started having Lois, The Flash, Aquaman (that was about the last straw for me) and some of the other characters that Clark had no business knowing as a kid on the show. (plus, the original Flash had even less powers as a kid than Clark did)

gmd3d
November 21st, 2008, 09:16 AM
I only ever collected the full stories arch

Darrell Lawrence
November 21st, 2008, 09:17 AM
Oh, I agree that Smallville "jumped the shark" with Bart Allen (the 4th Flash actually), AC (Aquaman), Cyborg, Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter, Supergirl (as Kara) and Lois.

The Legion, however, as I mentioned before is a natural for Smallville. I *don't* watch Smallville except on certain occasion (such as all of the shark jumping eps I mentioned).

This ep I will watch for certain, as the Legion is my all time fav comic team.

evil_genius_180
November 21st, 2008, 09:21 AM
I only ever collected the full stories arch

Me too. I especially love the graphic novels. They have one book instead of several smaller ones and the covers and bindings are more durable.

gmd3d
November 21st, 2008, 09:31 AM
yeah ,, I hate missing issues

evil_genius_180
November 21st, 2008, 09:37 AM
Me too. I was glad when the Death of Superman, World Without a Superman and Return of Superman graphic novels came out because I never did get all of those in their single issue form. And the book The Death and Life of Superman has the whole story but not everything that was in the comics is in there (otherwise, the book would probably be twice as long.)

Darrell Lawrence
November 21st, 2008, 09:49 AM
If you can, snag "The Lightning Saga", "Superman and the Legion of SuperHeroes" (from Action comics) and the current ongoing Legion of Three Worlds.

Darrell Lawrence
November 21st, 2008, 09:50 AM
qjTvyMCjIyQ

gmd3d
November 21st, 2008, 10:08 AM
I'd like to see the suit now ..

evil_genius_180
November 21st, 2008, 10:51 AM
Did I see Batman in that clip? That would almost make it worth watching.

Darrell Lawrence
November 21st, 2008, 11:22 AM
Someone over at the DCU boards said that was Green Arrow.

Looked like a Batman spin to me as well.

evil_genius_180
November 21st, 2008, 11:27 AM
Yeah, but he also appeared to be holding a crossbow. It really wouldn't make sense for it to be Batman anyway, he's roughly the same age as Superman and didn't start his superhero days until he was around 30, about the same time that Superman revealed himself to the world. (even though too much of the world has already seen Clark do too much super stuff on Smallville, one reason I don't watch it anymore)

Darrell Lawrence
January 16th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Well... the Legion ep... ROCKED! Pretty damn good, IMO.

Lots of cool Legion ref in it.

Best line, Garth (Lightning Lad) to Clark - "Where is your cape?"

gmd3d
January 16th, 2009, 09:42 AM
will Clark ever ware the Cape in Smallville

evil_genius_180
January 16th, 2009, 10:33 AM
He shouldn't even still be in Smallville. :lol:

He should either be in college (away from Smallville) or just wandering around after college saving random people until he eventually settles in Metropolis. Or, if you follow the movies, he should be at the Fortress of Solitude learning from Jor-El.

Darrell Lawrence
January 16th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Well... he was in Smallville, Metropolis and his Fortress calling out for Jor-El in this ep, so it's all covered ;)

evil_genius_180
January 16th, 2009, 11:03 AM
I see. Is he still using his human name when he does super stuff right in front of people who have no business knowing that Superman and Clark Kent are one and the same? (one reason I stopped watching, besides them getting ridiculous with the DC-'verse guest stars)

Darrell Lawrence
January 16th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Well, comic wise, Lana Lang does know Clark is Superman. Chloe, a Smallville specific created character, knows. Those were the only two not from the future in this ep that knew who he was, so I can't comment for the rest of the season's eps.

There were a lot of spoken lines by the Legionnaires in this ep that reflect what fans have been saying about no glasses, no costume, no flight, no cape, etc etc.

THAT made the ep pretty cool :D

evil_genius_180
January 16th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Well, comic wise, Lana Lang does know Clark is Superman.

Yeah, I know. I used to have the Man of Steel miniseries and I remember her, Lois and the Kents deciding if they should tell the world that Clark was Superman when he "died."

Darrell Lawrence
January 17th, 2009, 08:19 AM
"Man of Steel" isn't a good ref point these days, as the Byrne Superman has been relegated to an alternate Earth pretty much.

volkov
January 17th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Yeah, it was fun to see them in this episode. I only started watching the series a year or two ago. One of these days, I'll go back and watch the first 6 seasons. I stopped reading the comics so long ago that I don't remember any of the continuity and I probably missed a few reboots over the years, so I just enjoy the old familiar names and the cheesy super hero action.

evil_genius_180
January 17th, 2009, 10:18 AM
"Man of Steel" isn't a good ref point these days, as the Byrne Superman has been relegated to an alternate Earth pretty much.

I don't know, dude. I don't read comics anymore. I was just saying what I remember. Hell, for all I know, there could be newer comics where Clark does stay in Smallville a lot longer.