PDA

View Full Version : 'Forbidden Planet' Star Anne Francis Dies

gmd3d
January 3rd, 2011, 10:47 AM
'Forbidden Planet' Star Anne Francis Dies at Age 80

Actress Anne Francis, who was the love interest in the 1950s science-fiction classic "Forbidden Planet" and later was sexy private eye in "Honey West" on TV has died at age 80 in California.

Funeral director Bill Guntle in Santa Barbara says Francis died Sunday of natural causes at a local nursing home. Her daughter, Jane Uemura, tells the Los Angeles Times that Francis died from complications of pancreatic cancer.

Francis, a famous beauty of the time, had a childhood career in radio and TV and on Broadway before turning to movies.

In later years she returned to television, appearing in dozens of series.

In "Honey West," which aired from 1965 to 1966, she played a female James Bond who kept a pet ocelot.

Darrell Lawrence
January 3rd, 2011, 11:00 AM
This 'bot will miss her, along with Leslie Neilsen, who passed earlier.

http://www.3dgladiators.net/dloads/data/media/42/robby-the-robot.jpg

gmd3d
January 3rd, 2011, 11:08 AM
A sad loss for the family and fans through out the world .. beautiful lady

Nice touch Warrior with the image :)

gmd3d
January 3rd, 2011, 11:22 AM
I played with the two images from above and created this little tribute to two fine actor lost recently.

Redfern
January 3rd, 2011, 03:32 PM
Ooh, what odd timing. Just yesterday Turner Classic Movies (a commercial free network cablecasting classic films from the MGM library, as well as other studios) aired "Forbidden Planet" in all its wide-screen cinematic glory.

Does anyone from that movie survive? What about Richard Dean Anderson (best known as Oscar Goldman on "The Six Million Dollar Man") who played comm' expert Quinn (and the first victim of the id monster)?

Sincerely,

Bill

Darrell Lawrence
January 3rd, 2011, 03:40 PM
Last I had heard, and it was pretty recent, is that he's alive and well and was helping promote The Six Million Dollar Man finally being released on DVD.

I think he also goes by just "Richard Anderson" (full name- Richard Norman Anderson) rather than "Richard Dean Anderson", so as to not be confused with McGyver ;)

gmd3d
January 3rd, 2011, 03:46 PM
Ooh, what odd timing. Just yesterday Turner Classic Movies (a commercial free network cablecasting classic films from the MGM library, as well as other studios) aired "Forbidden Planet" in all its wide-screen cinematic glory.

Does anyone from that movie survive? What about Richard Dean Anderson (best known as Oscar Goldman on "The Six Million Dollar Man") who played comm' expert Quinn (and the first victim of the id monster)?

Sincerely,

Bill
think you mean Richard Norman Anderson :) and as Warrior said is still alive and well ...

I still have to get the 6MDM on dvd ...

Redfern
January 3rd, 2011, 05:13 PM
D'oh! You're right about the name, guys! :blush: And I'm not even a McGyver fan.

Sincerely,

Bill

Darrell Lawrence
January 3rd, 2011, 05:19 PM
Well, RDA was also in Stargate SG-1 ;)

Tenement
January 3rd, 2011, 05:42 PM
Sad loss but she'll also be remembered everytime Science fiction double feature is sung at the Rocky Horror Picture show.

Redfern
January 4th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Somehow I misread the initial post and gathered she died Monday, seemingly making the Sunday broadcast of "Forbidden Planet" almost a portent. But someone on another board stated TCM played the film in "tribute" to Ms. Francis. Apparently, it was not originally scheduled to air Sunday. I tuned in during the swimming scene so I missed any announcement that may have been presented before the movie.

Sincerely,

Bill

gmd3d
January 4th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Somehow I misread the initial post and gathered she died Monday, seemingly making the Sunday broadcast of "Forbidden Planet" almost a portent. But someone on another board stated TCM played the film in "tribute" to Ms. Francis. Apparently, it was not originally scheduled to air Sunday. I tuned in during the swimming scene so I missed any announcement that may have been presented before the movie.

Sincerely,

Bill

:) happens mate. we all misread sometimes ..
but your right about the portent aspect

Redfern
January 4th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Well, it can't be a portent "after the fact".

As I understand it, Anne Francis died and upon hearing the news, the programmers at TCM changed the line-up, hastily scheduling "FP" to air later that day.

I understand TCM did the same thing when Leslie Nielson (Cmmdr. J.J. Adams) died recently.

Hmm, Earl Holliman ("Cookie")...I'll check to see if he's still around. I know "Doc' Ostrow" passed away years ago. (He also played Rojan in the Trek episode "By Any Other Name", the episode where most of the crew are reduced to sheet-rock blocks.)

Sincerely,

Bill

gmd3d
January 4th, 2011, 06:56 AM
:) see ....... we all misread sometimes :tongue2: lol

Redfern
January 4th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Well, Holliman is still alive, and to my amazement, considering he was born in 1919, Warren Stevens who played Ostrow is also still alive and apparently did some work as recently as 2007! Impressive!

Sincerely,

Bill

gmd3d
January 4th, 2011, 07:11 AM
cool ... good to know ,,

Senmut
January 5th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Damn! Another of the greats, gone.
I had always hoped for a FP sequel.

gmd3d
January 5th, 2011, 01:57 AM
Hi Senmut.....Good to see you posting here too.
its another great loss for sci-fi fans and people in general to lose another stunning actress, person. with the recent loss of Leslie Nielsen too.

Senmut
January 5th, 2011, 02:08 AM
Yes. Our supply of greats grows thin.

rob_sharo
January 5th, 2011, 12:35 PM
She was quite a beautiful woman. I still remember the scene when the tiger gets vaporized by leslie nelson ( who just passed :-( ) .

The effects for thast movie were far ahead of there time. great story i suggest buying a DVD of it.

gmd3d
January 5th, 2011, 03:08 PM
yes I have the DVD.... as soon as I can I will watch it again.....

I always liked the tour of the facility below ground ..

Pixels3d
January 31st, 2011, 12:36 AM
Hi Redfern

Seeing you on the Star Trek threads at Daz I should not be surprised to see you here! It was indeed sad about Anne Francis- I seem to remember her co-staring in a detective oriented TV show when I was a kid. Can't remember what though!

I go by the pseudonym Eric W on the other forum- my real name is Pixels! Just kidding!

Sincerely,

Bill

gmd3d
January 31st, 2011, 12:45 AM
Hi Redfern

Seeing you on the Star Trek threads at Daz I should not be surprised to see you here! It was indeed sad about Anne Francis- I seem to remember her co-staring in a detective oriented TV show when I was a kid. Can't remember what though!

I go by the pseudonym Eric W on the other forum- my real name is Pixels! Just kidding!

was the TV show called Honey West?? I never seen nor heard of it.