PDA

View Full Version : Lost In Space vs Space: 1999

Darrell Lawrence
April 7th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Lost in Space synopsis- This was a science fiction TV series created and produced by Irwin Allen, filmed by 20th Century Fox Television, and broadcast on CBS. The show ran for three seasons, with 82 episodes airing between September 15, 1965, and March 6, 1968. Their first TV season was filmed in black and white, but the rest of them were filmed in color. In 1998, a Lost in Space movie, based on the TV series, was released.

Though the TV series concept centered on the Robinson family, many storylines focused primarily on Dr. Zachary Smith (Jonathan Harris), originally an utterly evil would-be killer who became a sympathetic anti-hero by the end of the first season, providing comic relief to the TV show (and causing most of the episodic conflict).

------------

Space: 1999 synopsis- This was a British science-fiction television series that originally aired from 1975 to 1977[1]. In the opening episode, nuclear waste from Earth stored on the Moon's far side explodes in a catastrophic accident on 13 September 1999, knocking the Moon out of orbit and sending it and the 311 inhabitants of Moonbase Alpha hurtling uncontrollably into space. The series was the last production by the partnership of Gerry and Sylvia Anderson.

Which was better, and why?

Have at it!

shaggy
April 7th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Absolutly has to be Space 1999!!!:bounce:

Proper storyline, realistic set and craft design and a real hard sci-fi feel to it...

Lost in space was just awful!!!:rotfl:

Lets just forget Space 1999's second season!:nerv:

gmd3d
April 8th, 2011, 01:45 AM
Of the 2 choices I have to pick Space 1999, even with the bad science of having a drifting moon entering a new system each week....and with the already mentioned
Ships designs and story lines of the first season.

I have a soft spot for Lost in Space non the less :)

tgep
April 8th, 2011, 08:50 AM
1999 all the way. If you overlook the " Americanized " aspect of the second season, the stories are just as entertaining.

murby
June 22nd, 2012, 02:50 AM
Space 1999 for me :)

Auditor
June 24th, 2012, 03:46 AM
Space 1999. Of course. Great designs. Moon hurtling through space sigh.

Both series had some really bad stuff to them. Being old I had seen Lost in Space before Space 1999. SciFi tv had evolved a bit sense Lost in Space. But as a kid Lost in Space had girls :). Which for the time they were cute.

By the way I talked to Marta Kristen aka Judy Robinson Lost in Space (original series) and she thought the movie sucked too.

Oh and if you've never seen the unaired pilot of Lost in Space you should it was vary different.

Oh yeah and CBS had Gene Roddenberry come in for his pitch and they talked to him for hours then told them they had there own show they were making so they weren't interested in Star Trek. :(

Tenement
June 29th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Space 1999 is easily my winner. During the 60's I'd watch LIS but I'd rather watch Trek and in the 70's it was Space 1999. There was an epic quality to a lot of the episodes that still hold up very well today and let's not forget the Eagle Transporter which is still one of the finest designs for a space ship in SF.

enkidu_jones
May 7th, 2013, 07:02 AM
They were both pretty silly some of the time, but Space 1999 wins hands down in terms of design. The Eagle stands alone!