PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Conaway of 'Grease', 'Taxi' and 'Babylon 5' in critical condition

Darrell Lawrence
May 19th, 2011, 11:03 AM
http://www.iconsf.org/archive/icon22/images/conaway2.jpg

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2011/05/jeff-conaway-critical-condition-star-grease-taxi.html

Jeff Conaway, who gained fame from his roles in the film "Grease" and the TV series "Taxi" before succumbing to substance abuse that landed him on reality shows dealing with rehabilitation ("Celebrity Rehab" and "Celebrity Fit Club"), is in critical condition following an apparent overdose.

Family members of Conaway, 60, said he has been hospitalized at Encino Hospital Medical Center with pneumonia and is unconscious.

Conaway became a star in 1978 when he costarred with John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John in the hit movie musical "Grease." He played Kenickie, the swaggering but sensitive member of the T-Birds gang who was the confidant of leader Danny Zuko (Travolta).

He then made a splash as struggling-actor-turned-taxi-driver Bobby Wheeler in the popular sitcom "Taxi," which debuted in 1978. The actor left the show in the fourth season, apparently due to clashes and creative differences on the set.

Even though he went on to other series and movies, including a regular role on the sci-fi series "Babylon 5," Conaway was never able to match his earlier stardom. And in recent years, his troubles with substance abuse have been extensively documented on reality television. "Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew" on VH1 found Conaway seeking treatment for addiction to cocaine, painkillers and alcohol. He also had a back problem due to an injury, which made it increasingly difficult for him to walk. Conaway became one of Dr. Drew Pinsky's most agitated patients, repeatedly threatening to quit and refusing to give up his co-dependent relationship with his girlfriend.

gmd3d
May 19th, 2011, 11:13 AM
sad news ...

evil_genius_180
May 19th, 2011, 11:47 AM
It's always sad when people take this route. There have been other stars who haven't been able to match their earlier stardom and they find other things to focus on, like family. Hopefully, he'll get through this and get the help that he needs. Maybe this will make him actually want to get help, which is the first necessary step to kicking the habits.

Darrell Lawrence
May 19th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Not mentioned in that article above is his broken neck accident from a year+ ago.

Neck article: http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20337746,00.html

Darrell Lawrence
May 24th, 2011, 08:31 AM
http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showpost.php?p=306030&postcount=6

evil_genius_180
May 24th, 2011, 09:26 AM
It's such a shame.

Darrell Lawrence
May 24th, 2011, 01:24 PM
How is he commiting slow suicide?

According to the last link I provided, those initial reports were wrong.

Sounds like he's fighting some very legit problems here.

evil_genius_180
May 24th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I read that wrong. I thought he fell down the stairs because he was on drugs but I just read it again and saw my error.

However, it is a shame that sometimes when some reporters don't have all of the facts so they just make up stories. They should never have reported that he was having drug issues if he wasn't.

gmd3d
May 27th, 2011, 07:10 AM
Update :

The family of Jeff Conaway have decided to turn off his life support machine, but the decision has been blocked by the 'Grease' star's ex-girlfriend, according to reports.

Vicki Lizzi claims to be a guarantor of a living trust from 2007, which would grant her power of attorney over the 60-year-old star. If true this means that she has the legal right to decide on healthcare matters when he is unable to issue instructions himself, usurping the rights his family would otherwise assume.

Conaway's ventilator remains on while the hospital investigates the matter.

Conaway has been in a deep coma since taking an overdose of painkiller earlier this month. His family have maintained a bedside vigil after the former 'Taxi' actor was admitted to a Los Angeles hospital on May 11, but doctors have told them there are no longer any signs of brain functions.

“Doctors advised the family that Jeff has had no brain function since he was brought into the hospital,” a source tell website Radar Online. “The feeding tube has already been removed.”

Conaway is best known for the role of Kenickie in 'Grease' and a stint on TV series 'Taxi'. In recent years however he was seen on 'Celebrity Rehab', the US TV show that focussed on his addiction to drink and drugs.

Darrell Lawrence
May 27th, 2011, 07:59 AM
The article, which adds a third scenario of him being ill, like the link from CF says, BUT he was already in the coma upon arriving at the hospital, thus NOT being doctor induced, as the CF link says.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1391261/Jeff-Conaways-ex-girlfriend-blocks-family-turning-life-support-machine.html#ixzz1NXEXAUcy

evil_genius_180
May 27th, 2011, 10:25 AM
The EX girlfriend had power of attorney? Wow, she must be a good EX for that.

OK, so according to the article Warrior linked to, it was an overdose and he was also suffering from pneumonia and sepsis. The near-fatal fall was last year. It sounds like he was trying to turn his life around and get help, though, I wonder what made him relapse. (maybe the illnesses were too much for him)

As for the life support issue. He's had no brain function and he's losing the battle to live. He's completely on life support. I've never understood why people fight for people to live in that condition. His family has obviously come to terms with the fact that he is going to die and they made the hard decision to take him off of life support. I wonder why the ex girlfriend is trying to keep him alive, especially since he's not really alive.

tgep
June 3rd, 2011, 06:45 PM
Sorry I Been gone so long. I moved and it took a while to get a net service provider.

In a sort of related matter, Conaway was one of the last few surving main cast members of the show " Babalon-5 ".

gmd3d
June 4th, 2011, 03:10 AM
welcome back ........

yes a few of his fellow B5 cast members went before him

Richard Biggs as Dr. Stephen Franklin 2004
Andreas Katsulas as G'Kar 2006
Tim Choate as Zathras 2004

tgep
June 4th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Also now gone is Londo Molari.

I know Tracy Scoggins did a lot of tv movies for the sci-fi chanel after B-5 went off line as well as Claudie Christians .........

And Ivonova is STILL always right.

Bill Mumy is in a band with his son .......... haven't heard much about " Otter " or Mira Fulan.

gmd3d
June 4th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Also now gone is Londo Molari.

I know Tracy Scoggins did a lot of tv movies for the sci-fi chanel after B-5 went off line as well as Claudie Christians .........

And Ivonova is STILL always right.

Bill Mumy is in a band with his son .......... haven't heard much about " Otter " or Mira Fulan.

Peter Jurasik or Londo has nothing about him passing on line as far as I have been able to find....

tgep
June 4th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I did some digging ........... Peter Jurasic played londo ( couldn't remember ) Most of the info on IMDB was out of date.

tgep
June 4th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Peter Jurasik or Londo has nothing about him passing on line as far as I have been able to find....

I heard it mentioned in a cast commentary that he died in his home state of North Carolina.

Once you heard his voice on TV you could pick it out by sound alone.