PDA

View Full Version : 'rest stop'

Masao
June 19th, 2000, 01:57 PM
Cool picture, Thomas.

About the opening, I suspect they would excavate a clear, flat area around the door opening a few meters below the surface rather than having a curved door directly at the surface.

Another thing I've been planning is a specialized ship with an subspace transmitter. Remember that ships of this era probably didn't have subspace transmitters (only receivers). I think this is because such transmitters were enormous. They could only be placed on surface installations (asteroids, planets) or large space platforms but not on usual ships. I figure that maybe one ship in each task force would be a specialized subspace transmitter ship with a huge f*cking antenna, something like those big space tracking ships used by the US and Soviets to follow spacecraft. So this asteroid might look good with an enormous subspace transmitter transmitter array.

meshula
June 19th, 2000, 09:06 PM
I like it a lot! It's very inspiring. I'd like to add to Masao's comments by suggesting a peak at 2001 where they land the lunar shuttle. There's a large cleared area with docking strutures all around, antennas, alignment marks and lights, that kind of stuff. You might have to double the size of your asteroid though. Also, if the asteroid is that small it probably has negligible gravity, so you might want structures on the surface held in place by tense cables.

Thomas P
June 19th, 2000, 10:58 PM
I know - the Star Base opening needs work but I didn't notice until I posted it to my storage folder!

http://www.concept40.com/galleries/sciartpost/ncc234_061900_02.jpg

[This message has been edited by Thomas P (edited 06-19-2000).]