PDA

View Full Version : Exalibur image 2

slipstream3d
November 6th, 2000, 01:23 PM
Here's the second image in four that I am gradually making of WarriorDL's USS Excalibur:

The USS King's Gate and Excalibur investigate strange happenings deep in the Carina nebula

http://www.startrek-forums.com/gladiators/ubb/html/uploads/distortion.jpg

Mesh by WarriorDL, converted by Gramial G'Rok.

------------------
Erik Tomlinson- Slipstream3d Webmaster

"Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome." - Isaac Asimov
Slipstream3D: A 3D Scifi 3D Graphics/Fan Fiction site
http://members.home.net/slipstream3d/

meshula
November 6th, 2000, 07:37 PM
Everyone always nails me on this point. The lighting on the ships is inconsistent with the background. You've got that bright blue light up and to the right of the lower left ship, but the lighting on the ship is coming from the lower left.

Overall, the composition is good. A little motion blur on the ships, or something a bit freakier in the center of the nebula (multi color lights? corbomite ship? space amoeba? god? doomsday waffle cone?) might add a touch of drama.

Masao
November 6th, 2000, 08:42 PM
I agree with Meshula. The back end of the ship on the left is not so dramatic. The eye is drawn more to the ship on the right. Maybe if you fill more of the frame with the ship to give us an unusual close-up angle, maybe looking past the primary hull or the neck.

Is that greenish line some sort of sensor beam from the left ship or is that a lens flare from the nebula?

With apologies to the esteemed Meshula, I don't think that motion blur would really add anything. If this is something very weird, I don't think they be rushing towards it. Instead, they'd be staying back as they're doing in the pick.

As far as the angle of the light, it's possilble that there's a big light source (brighter than that nebula thing) to the left, off screen. However, it looks as if the nebula is the main light source. If so, you'll have to light each ship from the front. Sometimes I see in pictures that because a ship appears to the right of a light source in a picture, the light should fall on it's left side. But if this is a big nebula, its very far away so that the light rays would be parallel and fall on both ships at the same angle (from the front).

skyhawk223
November 7th, 2000, 04:44 AM
I would suggest moving the camera up over the left nacelle on the leftmost ship so that the top of the nacelle and saucer are in the picture as well as the rightmost ship and the gas swirl.

slipstream3d
November 7th, 2000, 12:17 PM
Well, the inconsistency in lighting is because the 'vortex' wasn't planned, but rather added in afterwards in photoshop. And the reason the lighting isn't as good on the big ship is cause I had to hide the markings so there weren't two excaliburs http://www.startrek-forums.com/gladiators/ubb/html/smilies/smile.gif. I didn't feel like making the registry changes for what I thought at the time would've been a quick picture!