PDA

View Full Version : Fed Rommie BOP equivalent

skyhawk223
February 28th, 2001, 05:13 AM
Just playing around last night. I was initially going to make this a small scout class with a single nacelle running down the middle on the underside, but then thought this looked like the BOP as seen in TOS. So the story is that after the initial encounter, Starfleet designed a small starship based on sensor logs from the encounter. Let me know what you think...

http://www.3dgladiators.net/workforum/ubb/html/uploads/Scout2_27.jpg

Masao
February 28th, 2001, 02:41 PM
So this is a Federation copy of the BOP? Interesting idea. The noncircular hull gives it a bit of a different look. I'd like to see more about how you're going to attach the secondary hull.

skyhawk223
March 1st, 2001, 03:21 AM
Wasn't planning on having a secondary hull since the BoP doesn't have one. All components contained inside what you see here.

However, attaching a secondary hull is an interesting idea. Maybe I will see what that would look like.

Masao
March 1st, 2001, 01:34 PM
I thought that little tail-like thing was the secondary hull. Are you going to have an exposed nave deflector. Fed designers might not be able to resist the urge to install a deflector dish somewhere.

skyhawk223
March 2nd, 2001, 03:16 AM
I might just have to slap on a big old dish on the front. The tail could contain the warp core in the horizontal configuration.
There are some mesh errors with the tail at the moment that I will have to fix.

On another note, I wonder why the images come out looking so crappy when I post them. They don't look this bad and jagged on my computer at home. I guess it is the compression.

Bernd
March 2nd, 2001, 04:23 AM
Some considerations:

Maybe you should make the front end exactly half-circular. The nacelles should be well above the saucer surface (for a nice side view). Maybe the bottom should be like a boat hull, otherwise we would get another flat-iron like the Norway.

The rear end shouldn't be quite as narrow. If the ship is overall small, there would be nothing but one room in it. I don't know if a horizontal warp core is a good suggestion in this case, since there have to be tanks at either side (well, the antimatter pods may be rather small).

skyhawk223
March 2nd, 2001, 06:24 AM
The bottom of the hull isn't flat. It is sort of shaped like a boat hull.

I could make the tail wider to accomodate the warp core. It would have to be horizontal since there isn't any room vertically. Besides, it was always represented as being horizontal in the show and even in the Refit 1701.