PDA

View Full Version : Clavicle on patrol

Thomas P
March 6th, 2001, 05:36 AM
Quicky to show off the finished color scheme.

http://www.concept40.com/galleries/sciartpost/clav04.jpg

Fishheads
March 6th, 2001, 08:40 AM
cool :_)

Masao
March 6th, 2001, 03:33 PM
Looks good. Except that the cloud pattern on the planet reminds me of the top view of a bald guy with a comb-over http://www.3dgladiators.net/workforum/ubb/html/smilies/smile.gif

Thomas P
March 6th, 2001, 05:23 PM
think of it as a self portrait (well some day soon anyway).

skyhawk223
March 7th, 2001, 03:03 AM
I like the bird across the top. Very well done. However, it still seems to be a bit uniform as far as texture/color goes.

Thomas P
March 7th, 2001, 04:01 AM
Yes I know. In the spirit of TOS modelling I tend to keep the texture detail simple as was on the show. My earlier models, like the Wasp and the New Mexico had lots of detail. Bernd, who's Detroit class I modelled (New Mexico) commented that the detail was too much for a TOS ship.

Nick's versions of the same Romulan ships are much better, side by side, to mine because he does put wonderful little details onto his models. But his would be more inline with todays Trek and not the 60's.

I do think that folks in general would like to see the models we do be 'updated' to reflect the approach seen today. I just don't do it because I don't 'own' the designs.

Masao
March 7th, 2001, 01:48 PM
Thomas, don't let me stop you from adding panel lines, doors, and other little doodads. Its not like you're adding another nacelle! These ships were pretty simply designed because I'm a lot better at basic shapes than surface detailing. However, I think that TOS models were simple because of the low resolution of TV special effects meant that spending too much time detaling was wasted. If you took those models and photographed them today, they'd look too plain. 3D renders have the resolution of modern effects photography, so if you want them to look photorealistic, I think a level of detail seen on the D-7 model built for Trials and Tribulations is appropriate.