PDA

View Full Version : Masao 'Warbird'

meshula
July 30th, 2001, 04:51 AM
the hawk head looks like a good direction. i'd be worried about the arrow head versions looking a little too much like Promotheus or some other Voyager swoopy design. Maybe the hawk head should be on a pylon?

Thomas P
August 14th, 2001, 01:18 PM
Masao asked that this be posted - is cool:

http://www.concept40.com/galleries/sciartpost/post_TOS_Rom.jpg

Masao
August 14th, 2001, 05:16 PM
Thanks for posting, Thomas.

These are some quick sketches done on the bus back from the airport. Meshula posted a late-TOS Romulan dreadnought a few weeks ago, so I thought I'd sketch out a few of my ideas on the subject. Since the Romulans had been using Klingon ships and gotten their asses kicked by the Federation, they'd probably incorporate both Fed (a bit) and Klingon (more) design elements in their ships along with their traditional elements. You also have to consider the endpoint, which is the Warbird of TNG.

What I got so far is a main body derived from the body of a D-7 with some hints of a bird's head. Maybe there's a circular bridge module on top, or maybe they put the bridge up front like the Klingons do. Behind is a short secondary hull: I should probably make this broader as not to resemble Fed designs too much and to more closely resemble the back end of the TOS BOP. The nacs are attached directly to the primary hull in Klingon and Romulan fashion and have the slab-sided look of Klingon ships and the Warbird.

Comments?

Masao
August 17th, 2001, 12:18 AM
I agree, Nick. Triangular primary hulls suggest post-TNG Federation tech, so we'd want to avoid that. I thought that attaching the nacelles directly to the primary hull rather than to an engineering hull might help a bit in that regard. having the head out on a pylon is very Klingon, and might take this ship too far away from the TNG Warbird. These are obviously early sketches, so I'll mess around with some more ideas (just got back from the art supply store with a stack of new sketchbooks and pens.)

skyhawk223
August 17th, 2001, 05:24 AM
Hopefully this message will get through...

I love the design, but it looks a bit too modern for TOS. Is it the same size as the old bird of prey?