PDA

View Full Version : The Burning Question

The 19th Letter
August 30th, 2001, 06:33 PM
What would a forum dedicated to comics be without this inevitable question:
Who would win in a fight, Superman or the Hulk?
Let's hear those opinions...

Hito
August 30th, 2001, 09:45 PM
I cant imagine spidy knocking the hulk out.
And i cant imagine the hulk landing a blow in the dancing spider

What qualifyes as a victory?

Darrell Lawrence
August 30th, 2001, 10:09 PM
Supes vs the Hulk? That was shown in the DC/Marvel "wars" crossovers a few years ago :) Supes kicked Hulks ass!!!!!!!!!! :D

SInce it was OFFICIAL Marvel and DC storytelling, then that makes it official that Supes can kick his butt.

And ya know... that wasn't teh first time either.

Back in the ...70's?... they had a Superman and Spiderman one shot. Supes kicked the Hulks butt in that one too :D

...hmmm I just realized the grin smiley looks like the Hulk! AAAUUUGGGHHH!!!!!!!!

Hito
August 30th, 2001, 10:19 PM
Those drugs i am on are great.
I thought for sure i read Spider Man.

In that case i'd have to say that supes could clean the hulks clock.
Even with the old rampaging hulk.

Look.
Supes can fly, move at speeds where the human (or hulk fir that matter) cant preceve.
Supes would pummle him into submission in the blink of an eye

The 19th Letter
August 30th, 2001, 10:38 PM
My own opinion is that The Hulk wouldn't stand a chance against Supes. Still, I never count the crossover books. They're all cheese and no pepperoni if ya know what I mean (I have that big Spidey/Supes book too!). I always like to hear other people's logic. Believe it or not, some people think the Hulk would win. Go figure.:rolleyes:

thomas7g
September 2nd, 2001, 01:06 AM
Without being too geeky, er...well...

When they first fought, superman had the strength to move a planet. After John Burnes rewrote him he had ALOT less strength and speed.

Hulk has also gone through a power reduction.

But as for a vs. I always though that Doomsday/death of Superman was basically a Superman vs. a hulk clone fight. :D

The 19th Letter
September 2nd, 2001, 02:45 AM
To be as geeky as possible :D ...

Even after the power reduction which took Superman out of the planet moving category he still demonstrated he had way more strength than was ever implied and/or stated for the Hulk.
The reasoning I use comes from quotes from comics, actual events in comics, and the 'official dogma' released by the Marvel and/or DC. In no particular order the OHOTMU (official handbook of the marvel universe for the unitiated) states that the 'green' hulk, commonly known to be the most powerful version could lift only about 75 (or 85) tons in a calm state and of course the 'madder hulk get, the stronger hulk get which would easily push him past what they called the Class 100 level which was when a character crested the 100 ton bench press mark. the Who's Who by DC estimated that Superman could lift the Great pyramid over his head. A quick look in an almanac confirmed this was estimated to be over 7 million tons.
In a comic qoute, Superman speaking to a member of the GL corp commented (referring to a graveyard he physically removed from the planet) a mass simply weighing a few thousand tons was within his capabilities but (once it swelled up to the size of a planet) was well beyond his power to move. Written and illustrated by John Byrne.
And anyone familiar with the Hulks history (and I am, my bro maintained an extensive collection of hulk books back then) also knows despite the hulks ability to gain strength from anger, he still had a hard time dealing with foes who were stronger than him by a sufficient degree. Case in point the Abomination. The hulk often resorted to means other than strength to defeat him.
The fact that the Abomination was completely inept didn't hurt either.
And continuing the point when the Hulk had to fight a cosmically enhanced Thing (from the FF) he (the hulk) got his clock cleaned and Doctor Doom, who was observing, commented that there are times when the Hulk just can't get strong enough fast enough to deal with a sufficiently powerful foe.
I would generally rely on that argument against my bro.
BTW the Doomsday/Hulk similarities were mainly cosmetic if you don't count the bony extrusions. The Hulk merely got stronger while Doomsday adapted.

Was that geeky enough? :laugh:

Guardian Of Paradise
September 3rd, 2001, 01:53 AM
I'd still rate the fight as even. Not because the Gamma Giant has more power, but with a fight in an urban environment, the Hulk wouldn't care about bystandards and still give it all he's got. Supes would try to find a way to draw a crazed mutant out of the city while dodging buildings.

The 19th Letter
September 3rd, 2001, 12:39 PM
I've dealt with that theory before. :)
While it is true the Hulk's main priority is himself, whether or not he cares about bystanders depends on which incarnation of the Hulk you are referring to.
The Child-like Hulk would never intentionally endanger an innocent. Superman would merely absorb the Hulks wrath until he was able to convince the Hulk he wasn't a threat. Winner: Supes.

The Savage Hulk would, for all intents and purposes, be unaware of bystanders. Superman would obviously decide the battle would need to be moved to a location where innocents would not be harmed. Does the Hulk have the power to prevent Superman from physically removing him from the urban environment? Answer-nope. Since this is the only factor you presented to rate the fight as even, once that is no longer a factor neither is the Hulk. Winner: Supes.

The Gray Hulk was devious and would not hesitate to use his surroundings (including bystanders) to his advantage. The Gray Hulk would; however, be smart enough to realize that simply threatening innocents would not beat Superman. He would actually have to create a catastrophe of a magnitude sufficient to distract someone of Superman's capabilities. Could the gray Hulk do this? Yes. What advantage would it give him? One single attack that he better make good. Can the Gray Hulk (known to be the least physically powerful) essentially One-Punch Superman? Answer - Hell no. Since the Hulk just injured (maybe even killed) innocents, did Superman just take the 'kid gloves' off?

OH HELL YAH!

Can the Gray Hulk (again, known to be the least physically powerful) stand up to the Man of Steel with the gloves off? Answer - not a chance. Winner Supes.

The thing is, if we create circumstance (such as placing the fight in an urban setting) we may as well just go ahead and write the whole story since all a writer does is essentially create a series of connected events or a series of circumstances. Doing that Aunt May could beat Superman. Speakng of Spidey-related stuff, When Spidey was possesses by the Captain Universe his strength was multiplied by a factor of 50. Since he can normally press about 10 tons, at that time he could press about 500. When he fought the Hulk, Spidey one-punched the Hulk into orbit. Do I believe Superman can do the same thing?
Do I even havta answer?