PDA

View Full Version : Shields up!

skyhawk223
September 7th, 2001, 07:42 AM
Inspired by guess what movie...
http://hometown.aol.com/~skyhawk223/shields_small.jpg

Masao
September 7th, 2001, 06:39 PM
That's very nice! Maybe the wavefront should look a bit more menacing, though. It might be mistaken for the upper layers of a gas giant.

I think this ship looks best when the angular surfaces on bottom half are visible. I'm thinking the top half is a bit too smooth. (I'll have a word with the designer.) You've done a great job on her!

Thomas P
September 8th, 2001, 01:16 PM
I love this ship! Nice pic!

meshula
September 9th, 2001, 11:19 PM
It's a great concept, although I think the lighting needs work. The ship is strongly illuminated from the top, but the shockwave is coming from the rear, and the clouds in the shockwave aren't strongly lit from the top.

Maybe put a light behind the ship; maybe even a volumetric effect so that the ship's shadow is cast through smoke from a light source not to far aft of the ship?

A little motion blur on the aft end of the ship would also give the impression that she was trying to get away, as opposed to about to be engulfed.

skyhawk223
September 10th, 2001, 05:54 AM
The image is of the upper layers of a gas giant, although when I first saw it it did looks like a wavefront.

What do you mean it looks too smooth? Should I add a bump map to it?

Meshula, you are right about the lighting. It does look a little off. If I make another scene like this, I will try to fix that. As far as volumetrics go, I might play with that too, although I have never used the feature.