PDA

View Full Version : Dominator WIP

Thomas P
September 17th, 2001, 06:07 AM
A long while back, before we knew about Enterprise, there was talk about TOS era Akira style ships. Both Masao and the Chief had submitted ideas. Masao's idea was based off of a modified Valley Forge class and he had two WIP drawings.

I modeled the Chief's but it did not receive a lot of enthusiasm :)

Here is one version, modified to a degree, of Masao's. Makes a nice warship.

http://www.concept40.com/galleries/sciartpost/dnator01.jpg

http://www.concept40.com/galleries/sciartpost/dnator02.jpg

Masao
September 17th, 2001, 05:24 PM
I don't know about this ship. I must have drawn it while under the influence of something. Those multiple tightly grouped nacelles and struts are a bit much, I think. Maybe having a pre-TOS Akira is a bad idea?

the_chief2k
September 17th, 2001, 11:40 PM
check with the doctor masao because i have this pic from you at home !
;)
nice model though. i'd suggest to make some detail at the end of the "beams" and change the 2 spherical things at the front of the pod or at least detail them as well.
the end of the beams could well be the impulse engines.

Masao
September 18th, 2001, 12:25 AM
I'm not denying that I designed this ship. I'm just saying it's not one of my better efforts, which I'm sure you'll all agree. I just can't think of why this layout would have any advantage over a single-neck ship. Having one large structure (neck) is usually better than having two structures (booms). The double booms do allow you to keep the front of that rear module/pod clear, but since its front face is right behind the primary hull, any such advantage is discarded. I figure that the reactor must be back there and that it must be very dangerous (maybe poorly shielded) to rationalize putting it so far away. I don't know...

the_chief2k
September 18th, 2001, 01:26 AM
i will dig out this pic of yours and post it tomorrow so that we all see.
i'm not sure about the reactor stuff no clue about those internal tech stuff :)

Thomas P
September 18th, 2001, 05:34 AM
Both versions Masao provided some time back were WIP's. I was just having fun and though they had promise. The saucer section is only about 70% complete and the balance is less than 50% (guessing).

FAdmMinosh
September 18th, 2001, 10:17 PM
Not to shabby. It sure is an.....unusual design, but I like those ( just wish I could model unusual designs well.) I love the defector's look too, what texture are you using on it?

Thomas P
September 19th, 2001, 05:39 AM
No textures yet.