3D Gladiators Forums

3D Gladiators Forums (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/index.php)
-   Translator Microbes (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=319)
-   -   TrueSpace7.6 at no charge (Free) (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22614)

emi_100 August 9th, 2008 12:16 PM

Re: trueSpace7.6 at no charge (Free)

I've have it... but really I preferd the LG

gmd3d August 15th, 2008 02:37 PM

I had problems with it too . I'll stick with Lightwave :)

evil_genius_180 August 15th, 2008 08:38 PM

There's a really comprehensive .pdf user manual that you can download. It includes a quick guide.

KenWood August 19th, 2008 06:33 PM

Wow - here we go again. I recall when they put TS 1.0 out for free when they released version 3! Off to grab this. Thanks for posting the info!

Fretslayer August 20th, 2008 09:49 PM

I'm also one to use 'icons' more than text. For some reason they work in a more intuitive way with my brain. If I have to 'read' while I'm creating something it seems to pull me from my zone and becomes a distraction. Being somebody who is self taught (plus help from a few good people online) it's important for me to have tools what work around my set of 'art skills' so that I don't have to change my 'art skills' to work within the software.

I don't know of I'm explaining myself very well but I think that if any of you work like I do you probably understand.

I'm going to snag this program just to see what it's like.
Considering what I've read (on this site) so far I expect I'll like the program.

TurboPascal August 24th, 2008 08:18 AM

Thanks for the information. Almost missed that.

KlingonGeneral August 27th, 2008 07:03 AM

Since I have never really used anything this elaborate before I am totally at a loss in using this program. For a beginner I do not recommend this program. For the Novice and expert level user, it looks like you'll drool but I get frustrated since I do not know how to use it.

I followed the PDF and some of the things in it do not explain where the feature or function it asks you to do next is located. I tried the first lesson and got lost since nothing is clearly labeled as to what it is or where to look...you just have to be familiar with these types of programs to just "know" where things are.

My only true issue is time, it is very time consuming for the beginner so if you have the time then you'll get through it. Now don't misunderstand I am not giving up on this but I am a bit frustrated. :fume:

gmd3d August 27th, 2008 07:19 AM

Thanks for this updated post of your experience..

But as I found it difficult to use too been more familiar with Lightwave I gave up on it ..

there is a learning curve with these things .. took me a year to use the modelling feature from lightwave..... and my first model in her in the download area "the Brittania" That took a few months ... and its a easy model now that I look at it ..

so don't give up ..

try rendering a few simple scenes .. Trek or what ever . over a planet .. model making for me came later ..

evil_genius_180 August 27th, 2008 08:43 AM

Man, I've got to build my new computer so I can run this program. (I love a challenge :D) But I should be ordering components next week and then I'll be able to play. :evil:

One thing I'll say about trueSpace in general is that it took me many years to do much of anything in the program. Part of that was time, I didn't have much when I was in the Army, some of it was due to the somewhat confusing nature of the program. But then I met some people online who know tS and got me going. Plus, it helps that I have more time now to devote to modeling.

For anyone who has the time, I'd suggest trying the Caligari forums more so than the user manual and tutorials. I bet there are some people over there who have mastered tS 7 and can help you. In fact, there are probably people over there who have asked some of the same questions you have about the program. As far as the sci-fi forums, you might be able to find some people who have already made the switch but I'd say you'd have better luck at Caligari.

UrbanArmitage August 27th, 2008 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KlingonGeneral (Post 255038)
Since I have never really used anything this elaborate before I am totally at a loss in using this program. For a beginner I do not recommend this program. For the Novice and expert level user, it looks like you'll drool but I get frustrated since I do not know how to use it.

I followed the PDF and some of the things in it do not explain where the feature or function it asks you to do next is located. I tried the first lesson and got lost since nothing is clearly labeled as to what it is or where to look...you just have to be familiar with these types of programs to just "know" where things are.

My only true issue is time, it is very time consuming for the beginner so if you have the time then you'll get through it. Now don't misunderstand I am not giving up on this but I am a bit frustrated. :fume:

I started trying trueSpace 7.6 out the other day too and I agree that it can be quite difficult to grasp and frustrating. I must say though that once I figure out the process to do something it actually comes quite naturally. I'm not even close to being any good with it yet but i'm persevering. ;)

I found with the really basic tutorial where you create a rudamentory sci-fi runabout I was battling like crazy to find the tool icons they were referring to and I became very frustrated. Then I realised that I was using Model space instead of Workspace. When I switched over to Workspace I found the tools in no time. To change between the two look at the top left of the screen for 2 tabs labelled Workspace and Model. I hope this helps a bit.

UA

gmd3d August 28th, 2008 02:17 AM

perhaps what's called for it a Help Thread for Truespace .. ??

the3dgm September 20th, 2008 03:48 PM

Well, I'm a guy who owned tS versions 1.0 through 5.1, before giving up on it.

I downloaded and installed 7.6, to find out it is actually two programs now, and uses a bridge to get between them. Then I found out it lacks the abilities of older versions to import anything but .obj, and the only reason it can do that is because of a plug-in.

After speaking to a bunch of old friends who still use tS, mostly for modeling, I think they should have waited and gave away 8. Too many problems with this version to be much of a selling point.

Just my 2 cents

evil_genius_180 September 20th, 2008 10:00 PM

I'm not too thrilled with it either. I bought a new(ish) PC and it runs 7.6 but it keeps freezing up on me. Plus, I think someone was on something when they designed the interface. The default layout is complete BS. I switched it to the tS 6 layout just so it would look somewhat normal. I have a new RAM upgrade on the way and, if that doesn't help the freezing, I'll probably dump it and stick with trueSpace 4. (or switch to Blender)

I haven't tried Blender on my new PC but tS 4 flies and isn't completely FUBAR, like tS 7 appears to be.

the3dgm September 21st, 2008 09:25 AM

I've got 4 gigs of ram 3.5 usable and it does not stop the freezing. People have told me the freezing has to do with the ram on the video card and the video card being used.

I've already taken it off my machine. Version 8 is suppose to be the old interface replaced with the new one so you don't have to deal with two programs linked together. I'm still trying to find a copy of Lightwave I can afford. :^)

evil_genius_180 September 21st, 2008 10:00 AM

Well, I have 256MB of dedicated system RAM running to my video card, twice the "recommended" RAM in the system requirements but they don't tell you which kinds of video cards work best with the stupid thing. Given the choice of a buggy program much newer with a FUBAR interface and the 10-year-old program that runs very smoothly on my new PC, I'm sure I'll wind up sticking with the 10-year-old version. I'm still gonna try tS 7.6 after I get my RAM upgrade (should be delivered tomorrow) just to see what it does.

the3dgm September 21st, 2008 10:33 AM

The few people who have told me the cards they have are using Nvidia 8600 and 8800 gt's with 512 to 1gig of ram. Also, some of the later or bigger ATI cards again most have at least 512 meg of g-ram.

You sound like me, use what works!

evil_genius_180 September 21st, 2008 11:21 AM

Yeah, I'm one of those people who doesn't replace something until it doesn't work anymore or an unbeatable deal comes along (and free software is pretty unbeatable.) But not all free software is something better, even newer software. A lot of trueSpace users I've met online feel that tS 4 is the best of the series and, from what I've seen, that's true.

My reconditioned Acer PC I bought has a Nvidia GeForce 6100 n405 built in with 256MB RAM, which is an older chipset. So, thanks for the info. Now I know that the program is just FUBAR, even on a much better graphics adapter than mine, I certainly won't run out to buy a new PCI Express GFX card just to run that stupid program.

UrbanArmitage September 21st, 2008 11:12 PM

Does tS rely on the OpenGL capabilities on the graphics sub-system? I know it renders in real-time using DirectX.

I can't say for sure but maybe an update to your video drivers or an OpenGL bug fix would help. Out of the mainstream video card manufacturers nVidia does a pretty decent job with OpenGL so you shouldn't have too many issues with their hardware unless it's one of the cards they no longer develop the drivers for.

One possible problem is that you are using a 'shared memory' graphics device EG. Some software has major issues talking to the graphics subsystem when it shares main system memory. There are some settings in your BIOS that affect the way that main memory is used and addressed. You may have some luck looking at those too.

I have 2 heavily CPU and graphics intensive games that simply refuse to run without random hanging when used with onboard 'shared memory' graphics cards.

Hope this helps. :)

UA

the3dgm September 22nd, 2008 05:56 AM

I agree, a low level graphics card is better than an onboard chip that takes memory away from your main memory. tS has an icon that allows you to switch between OpenGL and DirectX.

evil_genius_180 September 22nd, 2008 09:14 AM

Yeah, but that only is supposed to affect solid display mode. It still freezes up in wireframe mode. I still say there's something seriously wrong with this program.