3D Gladiators Forums

3D Gladiators Forums (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/index.php)
-   Reference Requests and Submissions (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=328)
-   -   Star Trek Models and Resources (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21330)

Darrell Lawrence June 4th, 2008 02:15 AM

Re: Star Trek Models and Resources

Check your PM's.

BorgMan June 4th, 2008 02:21 AM

Thanks for your help Warrior! I'm doing some schoolwork right now but as soon as I have the time for it I'll start modelling my new chairs :D

evil_genius_180 June 4th, 2008 09:45 AM

SeanR's Olympus chairs are a good choice to use as an example. I used them a while back as a ref to build some chairs and I'm happy with the results. :D

billyben June 4th, 2008 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldhippie100 (Post 251665)
cool..maybe you could help me figure this out,I use daz studio and I'm looking for captain kirk's uniform would you know where i can get a Conforming outfit in obj format if possible?

Which models are you using? I am getting ready to attempt some uniform textures for the V4 bodysuit for TOS using the DAZ Studio M.L.I.E. plugin for the rank. I haven't done any textures since my old HLDM days. Should be fun. I am still chasing down reference data for the TOS uniform ranks.

Fretslayer June 4th, 2008 10:19 PM

@ Old Hippie100-
If you use Crossdresser you can take the Trek Tunics and TOS movie shirt from this site and convert them to work with the M3 figures in both D|S and Carrara.

You can also import the tunic into D|S and then use the adjustment dials to tweak the abdomen and chest parts (rotate them forward a bit) and then the shoulders and you can line up the P4 tunic to work with M3.

I have done this with M3 and M3SR2 and it works.

You may need to do a bit of post work - but there is also a simple work around for this as well. You use Photoshop (or similar program) and copy the colour of the Trek tunic to the body (chest and arms) of the 2nd skin you'd apply to your Kirk figure. This way when you pose (or animate) your Kirk (M3) figure any poke through you may get will at least be the colour of the tunic and not nearly as noticable.

I have a Trek animated short coming down the pipeline and I've had to do a good amout of clothing prop conversions for the M3 figure. If you need any help with your clothing let me know and I'll do my best to help.

evil_genius_180 June 4th, 2008 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fretslayer (Post 253064)
@ Old Hippie100-
If you use Crossdresser

Boy, I read that wrong at first. :wtf:

Fretslayer June 4th, 2008 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evil_genius_180 (Post 253066)
Boy, I read that wrong at first. :wtf:

Hey, how do you think I feel?
I have a folder on my machine with CROSSDRESSER written on it.

I can't help but wonder what my friends and family think when they see that!
LOL!

*disclaimer: This joke is in no way meant to offend people of alternative clothing lifestyles.*

:laugh:

evil_genius_180 June 4th, 2008 10:48 PM

Imagine what a hacker would think. Or if the government seized your PC for some reason and started going through your files. :(

Fretslayer June 4th, 2008 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evil_genius_180 (Post 253068)
Imagine what a hacker would think. Or if the government seized your PC for some reason and started going through your files. :(

LOL!
Well, hackers would be disappointed in the content of the folder and odds are the government has already been inside my computer... I go to dangerous websites that promote freedom of speech and Constitutional rights.

LOL!

I do have a nice collection of P4 clothing props from this site that I've converted to work with DAZ Studio (D|S) and Carrara. I'll share them if you want 'em and as long as their original creators (people like that Warrior feller) are o.k with it.

dv8_fx June 5th, 2008 12:14 AM

Javoyager...

DAZ and Rendo would be the best .....

dv8_fx June 5th, 2008 12:16 AM

Dang it... should have payed close attention to post dates.... By now they might be better than me.....

Fretslayer June 5th, 2008 08:28 AM

I do a lot of work in D|S and Carrara and I can tell you first hand there are a lot of really good resource sites out there for them.

If you use D|S, Carrara or Poser you'll want to sign up for the DAZ3D news letter.
Every month they give you a link were you can download a free fully rigged mesh. Like any thing else some are better than others but they're all still well worth the price. :D

dv8_fx June 5th, 2008 10:18 AM

Just to add to what you just mentioned, Fretslayer...

From time to time, Daz offers great deals on software programs... BRYCE, CARRARA, HEXAGON and others . Their last promo was a bundle deal for Carrara 6 Pro, Hexagon 2.5, Bryce 6.1, Mimic Lite, Mimic Pro, Mimic Pro for LightWave ... all for just $199.00 to Daz Platinum Members or $over 500.00 ( If I'm not mistaken) for non-members.

I purchased the full version of Bryce 6 last year for just $1.99..... not bad....

Daz Studio 2.0 , their version of Poser, is FREE....

Fretslayer June 5th, 2008 10:37 AM

That package that DAZ was offering was awesome and if I didn't already own 90% of it, I would have jumped all over it. The DAZ3D Platinum membership is well worth the price.

I used Poser back when they had P4 and P5. I learned how to use MAX and then LWO and at that point I didn't expect to ever see anything like Poser again... But when I discovered D|S (easily one of the most powerful free rendering/animating programs ever released) I got re-hooked and then I made the jump to Carrara Pro 6 and I love it.

I still use LWO from time to time but when it comes to animating people, Carrara just kicks too much a$$ for me to walk away from it.

Speaking of which, has anybody used MIMIC for LWO with any level of success?

*on a side note, that avatar I made uses a Pilsner glass I got for free from Renderosity and the girl in the glass is Teri Yuki with Saphire hair.*

dv8_fx June 5th, 2008 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fretslayer (Post 253110)

*on a side note, that avatar I made uses a Pilsner glass I got for free from Renderosity and the girl in the glass is Teri Yuki with Saphire hair.*

I was staring at it a while back, even downloaded it to get a closer look... my first thoughts was TY.... Love that hair.

I used Mr. Sala Manda on mine. I wanted to get Carrara but had to put it off till the next promo.

dv8_fx June 5th, 2008 11:31 AM

Which reminds me.... don't get Daz Studio 2.1.1.13....

ooiii...

Fretslayer June 5th, 2008 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dv8_fx (Post 253111)
I was staring at it a while back, even downloaded it to get a closer look... my first thoughts was TY.... Love that hair.

I used Mr. Sala Manda on mine. I wanted to get Carrara but had to put it off till the next promo.

I love the TY mesh. I use her for a lot of stuff because she can do both realistic rendering as well as anime. Plus, she's pretty cute for being a pixle girl. LOL!

The saphire hair is really cool too. It can do a lot of real nice morphs and as you know, that brings alot to both a render as well as an animation.

Regarding Carrara - If you've used D|S and you like it - jump on Carrara Pro 6.

I began using the DAZ products because I hit a wall when it came to character rigging in MAX. I could do it but I couldn't get it perfect and my 'actors' would get weird bends in their arm pits and such. It was really frustrating for me (as I am self taught) and felt like I had hit a plateau.

It was during that time when I was feeling down about my animation ability that I noticed I had D|S installed from forever ago when I had used Bryce 5. I loaded up D|S and was floored from the first second I loaded up a human mesh. Since that moment I've been a DAZaholic and I've not stopped (although I can any time I want...yah...that's it... I can stop...really... I can...)

I'm 80% done with a BSG (tos era) animated fan film and when it's finished I'm going to share the LWO & MAX to Carrara/D|S covnersions I've done. I've converted everything from the Galactica and Vipers to clothing and even built a nice 'fake' Galactica bridge.

Btw- It's nice to know I'm not the only DAZ junkie around here.

One of the things that I think make this website a real strong resource is that we have an solid group of people who use Max, LWO, TS, Poser and DAZ products.

Here's a couple of images I made with TY.
One is the logo for my microbrewery (and my avatar) and the other is just me being a silly bastard. :)

http://wabashponies.com/dan/Thttpt.jpg

http://wabashponies.com/dan/BarleyNebula-LG-1.jpg

dv8_fx June 5th, 2008 12:34 PM

Nice images. I knew it was TY... with that unmistakable quarker product. I got the hair but not Terai Yuki. I'm planning to get Miki... She's got that asian look I need.

At the time I was working with at an architectural firm, my boss wanted to add human figures to real interior design and rendered architectural scenes for demos to the client. I ended up using poser. Not 3dmax coz we didn't have any acceptable human content. Too bad at the time, you can't import 3dmax or lightwave into poser.

As a freelancer, I'm the only designer here that incorporates 3d humans in place of live ones most especially if the clients are cheap and dont want to hire models.

Tho I pop in regularly at rendo and daz to download stuff (I'm born in the year of the rat hence packrat), I never found time to do poser or 3dmax art or such. Always busy. Even right now as I surf the net, I'm working at finishing a project at 3 in the morning.

I like sites like these, great resource from talented people for ideas , inspiration and a refreshing push to continue what I do for a living.... not only for work but for personal passions as well. The making of ST2009 re-ignited my ST mesh model craze. And my daughter had to add the fire... Daddy, you created so much 3d buildings and stuff and art design work... but where's your Enterprise model?

silence....

uuuuhhhhh.... coming, honey..... soon....

love that kid.

Fretslayer June 5th, 2008 12:46 PM

Funny comment about your child requesting an Enterprise. LOL!
My nephew pulled a similar Jedi mind trick on me only with dragons instead. LOL!

When you're working against the clock you can't beat the DAZ 'people' for adding a bit of life to a scene. I'm an animation team of 1 and any time I can get a hold of something that speeds up my production time (without sacrificing quality) I'm all over it.

Speaking of being a pack rat...I don't know if this is something I should brag about or be embarrassed by, but I have over 30GB of CG meshes. I have a mesh for any occasion. LOL!

dv8_fx June 5th, 2008 12:56 PM

You don't have to be embarrassed. I should be....

In front of my workstation at home is a row of cd storage towers containing exactly 241, 700MB disks ... I'm poor at math, calculate please......