3D Gladiators Forums

3D Gladiators Forums (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=337)
-   -   Update: Mozilla logs 8 million-plus Firefox 3 downloads in a day (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22577)

Darrell Lawrence June 19th, 2008 09:50 PM

Update: Mozilla logs 8 million-plus Firefox 3 downloads in a day

Despite temporarily overloading Mozilla servers, browser's dynamite debut could net a Guinness World Record

By Elizabeth Montalbano, IDG News Service

June 18, 2008

After a rocky start to its Firefox 3 "Download Day," Mozilla logged more than 8 million downloads of the latest version of its Web browser in 24 hours, the company said Wednesday.

Firefox 3 was downloaded 8,349,074 times between 2:16 p.m. EST Tuesday and 2:16 p.m. EST Wednesday -- more Firefox downloads than the company has ever had in one day, according to a Mozilla Web site tracking the browser's first-day download process.

[ InfoWorld's Test Center had no problems downloading the new Firefox browser. See our reviewer's impressions: "Firefox 3 comes out sizzling" ]

In a blog posting, Mozilla CEO John Lily said Firefox's browser market share grew to about 4 percent worldwide after Download Day, citing a link to statistics collected and maintained by Web statistics and analytics company Net Applications.

People in about 200 countries downloaded Firefox 3, with the United States leading the pack for number of downloads. The other countries in the top 10 for Firefox 3 downloads were, in order, Germany, Japan, Spain, the United Kingdom, France, Iran, Italy, Canada, and Poland.

He added that Firefox users hosted 757 parties around the world to celebrate Download Day.

Mozilla said on May 28 that it would attempt to establish a Guinness World Record for the largest number of software downloads in a 24-hour period with Firefox 3's release.

As part of the plan, Mozilla deemed Tuesday Download Day and hosted a download party at its Mountain View, Calif., office.

In comparison, Firefox 2 was downloaded 1.6 million times in its first 24 hours of release; to date, it has been downloaded more than half a billion times, according to Mozilla. There was no Download Day fanfare surrounding Firefox 2's release, however.

Mozilla is now awaiting review by the Guinness judges to see if its goal was accomplished, according to the Download Day Web site. There is currently no record for the number of software downloads in 24 hours; Mozilla's would be the first.

Despite its eventual success, Firefox 3 Download Day didn't go off without a hitch. Interest in the endeavor crippled Mozilla's servers on Tuesday, so the U.S. part of the download process started around 3 p.m. EST -- two hours later than originally planned -- when Mozilla's site wouldn't work properly.

The European leg of the effort began a little more than an hour later than planned and marked the start of the download-logging process. There were no more problems reported once the U.S. site was back up and running.

In his blog post, Lily provided details for how Mozilla's network performed on Download Day. The network at its peak served 17,000 downloads per minute, or 283 per second, and had sustained download rates in excess of 4,000 a minute, he said.

This story was updated on June 18, 2008.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...tml?source=rss

evil_genius_180 June 19th, 2008 11:43 PM

Re: Update: Mozilla logs 8 million-plus Firefox 3 downloads in a day

I didn't even know that they'd released Firefox 3. I was waiting and waiting last fall when it was supposed to come out and then I checked back every once in a while but haven't in a long time due to lack of interest on my part. ;)

evil_genius_180 June 20th, 2008 11:10 PM

I downloaded it earlier. :D Looks pretty cool so far.

Darrell Lawrence June 21st, 2008 01:57 AM

I'll get it sometime this week-end.

dv8_fx June 21st, 2008 09:25 AM

Downloaded but yet to install. Been out of town for the past 2 weeks and this laptop is on Win 2000........ Friend says the new version as a beauty tho.

evil_genius_180 June 21st, 2008 09:48 AM

Yeah, it's not bad. They streamlined the buttons at the top. But, looks aside, it functions very similar to Firefox 2. There are some things they changed. You have more options in your bookmarks, which is nice. I have yet to try out the new download manager, it's supposed to allow you to resume downloads, which is good if you use dialup and your session can end unexpectedly. One thing I'm not too keen on is that they've done something weird to the browsing history. It's all FUBAR looking and, for some odd reason, only has some of the pages I've visited recently (transferred from Firefox 2, of course.)

the3dgm June 26th, 2008 12:59 PM

I was one of the original 8 million, now there is a claim to fame, and I'm loving it, much better that 2 was I think they did a heck of a job on it!