3D Gladiators Forums

3D Gladiators Forums (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/index.php)
-   On The Horizon (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=326)
-   -   USS ENTERPRISE TOS WIP .1. (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23162)

gmd3d December 21st, 2009 12:07 PM

USS ENTERPRISE TOS WIP .1.

5 Attachment(s)
This is the first time I have build this ship .. and I have to say it, Its in my top 10, in fact it´s my number one.

I have had trouble building the teardrop shape of decks 2 and 3 under the bridge
which I am happy with now..

have some trouble with background images..

I first made a box with the accepted scales of the Enterprise ..

947 ft long
417 ft wide
238 ft height

look fine from the side but from the forward view it narrows where the secondary hull loose the round shape. I have posted 2 images to illustrate
my my problem..

its as if the its to narrow or to tall ??

I am using Lightwave 9.3.1

Fretslayer December 21st, 2009 04:51 PM

Re: USS ENTERPRISE TOS WIP .1.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taranis (Post 262227)

...looks fine from the side but from the forward view it narrows where the secondary hull loose the round shape. I have posted 2 images to illustrate
my my problem..

its as if the its to narrow or to tall ??

That is weird.
I've been looking at that image for a while now and I'm starting to feel like a chimp looking at a DVR. - LOL!

The saucer section looks damn nice.
:D

gmd3d December 22nd, 2009 01:31 AM

thanks .. its a puzzle .. I got some help but it does not resolve the problem .. the ship just widens from the established 417 feet beam too about 437 ft beam. I must be doing something wrong some where..

Fretslayer December 22nd, 2009 05:21 AM

That is really weird.

You know, I seem to recall something like that going on with mine as well but it's been so long since I worked on it that I hardly remember. I just remember the rail extrusion being something I wanted to cry over. LOL!

Considering that you're a guru level Lightwave modeler, if you're stumped by something it must be pretty difficult.

gmd3d December 22nd, 2009 06:04 AM

I am not really a guru ,, but I am have difficulty understanding where the problem is

Fretslayer December 22nd, 2009 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taranis (Post 262240)
I am not really a guru ,, but I am have difficulty understanding where the problem is

I have seen your work...

Methinks thou art too humble.
;)

You really do make some killer models so if you're stumped it must be a tough trick to work around.

I remember now when I was building mine that I had a similar problem with that part of the ship, so I just did the cheap thing and moves some points until I had it looking how I thought it should. Not the smartest move. LOL!

gmd3d December 22nd, 2009 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fretslayer (Post 262242)
I have seen your work...

Methinks thou art too humble.
;)

You really do make some killer models so if you're stumped it must be a tough trick to work around.

I remember now when I was building mine that I had a similar problem with that part of the ship, so I just did the cheap thing and moves some points until I had it looking how I thought it should. Not the smartest move. LOL!

I ended up doing something just like that so your not far off :) I never release a model until I am happy that its good enough. unlike the models I stored over at foundation3d ( did that in case I lose them in the move ..as it turned out it was a good thing i DID!! .. as my old pc is still dead )

Fretslayer December 22nd, 2009 10:04 AM

LOL!
Well, then I guess it was a smarter move than I thought. LOL!!!

I spent hours looking at that part of the ship and trying in vain to figure out why it wasn't lining up the way I expected it should. Finally, I said Hell with it, and I moved the points to make the bugger fit. LOL!

After reading your comment, I feel better about my solution now. LOL!
I really should finish it one of the these days just so I can say I've done it.

gmd3d December 22nd, 2009 10:39 AM

sound like a plan ...

What I did was to create a spline curve of the section.

copied it and placed the copied spline curve in to its own layer.

the with the original one (this is for the front section ) I lathe it into 360 around along the Y orientation.. (bty I have the center saucer placed in the center point of the top layout grid ) made up of 80 segments...but only need you need a total of 40. for the front then cut it in half.

then with the copied one (this is for the aft section ) I lathe again with the same settings except I added 160 segments for the aft section so you need 80 section by cutting it half along the Z orientation

(I am thing of add more to the next one) so when I have to stretch this part it hold the shape.. (I am think of subdividing the next one to see if I have better look --- but I like the first way as I have more control of the point and less to work with.)

anyway I pick the points on the aft section (cut this by the X orientation cutting the 80 section too 40 - much easer). and start stretching all the point along the segments. from the top view.

it worked for me until I can improve on it.

Thomas P December 22nd, 2009 12:08 PM

In all the years I've been modeling Trek style stuff I have never done any version of the Enterprise! Very convincing saucer section so far. Good job!

gmd3d December 22nd, 2009 12:57 PM

thanks Thomas I have been gearing up for this since I started modeling.. I want to build the movie version some time

Fretslayer December 23rd, 2009 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taranis (Post 262250)
...I want to build the movie version some time

How very cool.
:cool-sm:

gmd3d January 8th, 2010 02:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
well after a lot of going back and forward over some areas .. I have the overall shape.. I have to redo the Bridge and the 2nd and 3rd decks ..... shuttle bay etc

Fretslayer January 8th, 2010 09:48 AM

It looks great!
You say that you have to go back and rebuild some parts?
They look ok to me. What is the issue with them that you're going to redo them?