3D Gladiators Forums

3D Gladiators Forums (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/index.php)
-   Viewer On! (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=503)
-   -   Firefly - What is it? (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21577)

Darrell Lawrence December 28th, 2005 12:12 PM

Firefly - What is it?

Joss Whedon created a new series for Fox with Firefly, an action-packed fusion of the science-fiction and western genres. The series cult popularity created enough buzz for a theatrical movie to be made.

Cast:

Nathan Fillion ... Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds
Gina Torres ... Zoe Washburne
Alan Tudyk ... Hoban 'Wash' Washburne
Morena Baccarin ... Inara Serra
Adam Baldwin ... Jayne Cobb
Jewel Staite ... Kaylee Frye
Sean Maher ... Dr. Simon Tam
Summer Glau ... River Tam
Ron Glass ... Shepherd Book

Set five hundred years in the future, FIREFLY depicts a troubled world after a massive universal civil war. The resulting power party, the Alliance, control everyone and everything, except for Malcolm Reynolds (Nathan Fillion) and the crew of his spaceship, Serenity. As the Alliance continues to wreak havoc on the world, Malcolm does what he can to restore order to his surroundings.

Episodes:

1-01 20 Dec 02 Serenity (1)
1-02 20 Dec 02 Serenity (2)
1-03 20 Sep 02 The Train Job
1-04 27 Sep 02 Bushwhacked
1-05 01 Nov 02 Shindig
1-06 08 Nov 02 Safe
1-07 04 Oct 02 Our Mrs. Reynolds
1-08 18 Oct 02 Jaynestown
1-09 25 Oct 02 Out of Gas
1-10 15 Nov 02 Ariel
1-11 06 Dec 02 War Stories
1-12 UNAIRED Trash
1-13 UNAIRED The Message
1-14 UNAIRED Heart of Gold
1-15 13 Dec 02 Objects in Space

Feature Movie:

F-01 30 Sep 05 Serenity

erico January 20th, 2007 03:12 PM

FWIW I run a podcast about Firefly, called Firefly Talk, at www.fireflytalk.com. Have had some good interviews over the past year and lots of articles about the 'verse. It's currently bi-weekly.

evil_genius_180 January 20th, 2007 10:05 PM

No wonder I missed this series. The whole time it was on the air, I was deployed to Afghanistan. I love the movie, though. Too bad they squashed the sequel before it got started.

Kryos January 28th, 2007 12:21 AM

Yeah I know. The series and the movie are like the greatest thing. :) Watch them all regularly.

p.s. Cargile February 18th, 2007 12:14 PM

I missed the airing because I worked nights. Got the movie for Christmas 05, got the DVD for Christmas 06. Can't understand why it didn't last a season. Its by far the best sci-fi I've seen.

morganzacd5p February 18th, 2007 01:21 PM

No Support from FOX...

Warrior Woman September 5th, 2007 02:20 PM

We can only hope that Joss Wheddon can gain control of the series and get it on another network. He's working at it. It's still his favorite project to date as far as I've read. I wish him the best of luck.

WW

Vortex_4200 July 28th, 2008 12:09 PM

Re: Firefly - What is it?

I've heard so much about firefly, and yes... sadly I have not seen a single episode :shock: so I 'm going to have to break down and get the dvd collection!

BST August 1st, 2008 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vortex_4200 (Post 254434)
I've heard so much about firefly, and yes... sadly I have not seen a single episode :shock: so I 'm going to have to break down and get the dvd collection!

It's very well worth it.. I was a late-comer to the "browncoat" party as well but, you know the saying.... better late than never.

:)

gmd3d August 2nd, 2008 02:46 AM

I have yet to watch it .. well saw one episode ... but when tit was on i was working so that is that ,, the film looked great but I did not want to see it before seen the complete show .. so I can learn who is who .

Love the ship .. and Sean's Kennedy's mesh .. Warrior did a super image of the Ship over Mars and still get comment on over at Foundation3d :) after its been posted there for a few months

BST August 2nd, 2008 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taranis (Post 254614)
I have yet to watch it .. well saw one episode ... but when tit was on i was working so that is that ,, the film looked great but I did not want to see it before seen the complete show .. so I can learn who is who .

Love the ship .. and Sean's Kennedy's mesh .. Warrior did a super image of the Ship over Mars and still get comment on over at Foundation3d :) after its been posted there for a few months

Definitely, watch the episodes BEFORE watching the Serenity movie.

:)

gmd3d August 2nd, 2008 09:35 AM

I thought so .. to be honest the one I saw did not inspire me .. but I will give it a chance

evil_genius_180 August 2nd, 2008 09:36 AM

Yeah, I did it the other way around and it was weird. Though I loved Serenity the first time I saw it, there are so many things that happen in it that make more sense if you've seen the episodes.

Not to take anything away from the movie, but I actually like the show better. Even though there are only a handful of episodes, it's one of the best shows I've ever seen. And I owe it all to 3DGladiators. If I'd never come here, I might not have ever even heard of Firefly (though I probably would've by now) and, even if I had, might not have tried it. :)

@Taranis: you've gotta watch the series in order to get a true appreciation for it. That's probably why it didn't last, Fox ran it in a FUBAR order.

gmd3d August 2nd, 2008 10:13 AM

It was only shown here once . missed ever episode bar the one ..

the3dgm August 15th, 2008 09:01 AM

If you've never seen it check places like Hulu.com, their TV section to watch them. Or, Fancast.com may also have them.

nipuk007 August 28th, 2008 03:20 PM

I absolutely loved this show.

I just have to say the following;

1) Anybody know what was up with Book and what he used to do for the Alliance. Personally I think he used to do the same job as 'The Operative' fromt he movie Serenity.

2) Jewel Staite and Summer Glau are Very Hot I am Soooo Glad they got back to our screens so quickly

3) Given this show is set in a future with a society dominated by Anglo-American and Chinese culture and language how come we didn't see more Chinese Characters.

Also can I ask, is it wrong that I often found myself rooting for the Allliance rather than the crew of the Serenity.

the3dgm August 28th, 2008 05:25 PM

Ha, Ha, yes, I always assumed that Book had been an Operative, perhaps past his prime, he had been place in a management position, and then the realization of what the operatives actually were, so he left and joined the Monastery.

Yes they are!

I often wondered that myself!

Yes, it is wrong! lol

evil_genius_180 August 28th, 2008 07:47 PM

Probably the reason for less Chinese people on the show was because it was a show filmed in the United States and I don't know how easy Chinese-American guest stars and extras are to come by. A lot of guest stars and extras you see in shows in the U.S. are either Caucasian or African-American.

cabal23 December 27th, 2011 09:13 AM

Firefly rocks! best Series + Movie ever ..a shame there will be no more :-(

Qumefox April 3rd, 2012 03:25 PM

Yeah. Fox wanted another 'Buffy the vampire slayer' so they pretty much gave Joss Whedon a blank check and told him to make them another hit. Firefly was the result. But unfortunately the Fox execs wanted another campy 'buffy' type show, which Firefly certainly wasn't, so the displeased Fox execs did their best to sabotage Firefly so it's ratings would tank (the episodes were aired out of order, and not all were even aired) So they'd have an excuse to kill the show. Which worked.

Serenity was only produced to try and capitalise on the shows cult popularity after it refused to die.

Them killing Wash still pisses me off though.

This show likely could have become a long running Star Trek type franchise if the Fox execs hadn't had their heads up their asses. :p And this is still one of my favourite shows to this day.

evil_genius_180 April 8th, 2012 10:07 AM

Yeah, I don't get Fox sometimes. To hear Joss Whedon tell it, they practically begged him to do another series. However, when he didn't produce the one they wanted him to, they torpedoed the series. But, they're morons like that.

Qumefox April 9th, 2012 08:30 AM

Probably one of most boneheaded moves they've ever made if you ask me.

evil_genius_180 April 9th, 2012 09:13 AM

It's on the list. It seems like every time they actually start a Sci-Fi show I like on that station, it inevitably gets cancelled. Meanwhile, crap like The Simpsons has been on the air for far too long, IMO.

SnkBitten September 30th, 2019 02:07 PM

Definitely one of my favorite shows. Here's a quick animation test I did in Lightwave 2015.3 using hypervoxels/particle emitters for the Firefly "burst" thrust mode.

https://youtu.be/Z9is--BKjOs

gmd3d October 7th, 2019 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnkBitten (Post 269789)
Definitely one of my favorite shows. Here's a quick animation test I did in Lightwave 2015.3 using hypervoxels/particle emitters for the Firefly "burst" thrust mode.

https://youtu.be/Z9is--BKjOs

great posts, really cool to see LW being shown off to great effect :up: