3D Gladiators Forums

3D Gladiators Forums (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=337)
-   -   New Member Welcome Thread (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22542)

jayru March 30th, 2009 06:52 AM

Re: New Member Welcome Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taranis
Like what program do you use
What is you fav subject for modelling etc

I tend to use 3DS Max for most of my mesh work - although if I'm just trying an idea out, or creating a "study model" od an idea I'll use Milkshape (which is what i cut my teeth on when I first started).

As for what I model... the very first thing I ever created was the Liberator from Blake's 7, which I ported over for use in the ST: Bridge Commander game (along with a few otehr ships from Blake's 7 as well). I did some higher res models of those ships, but a fire destroyed my PC, so they are gone for good. I've started meshes of ships like "The Ark" from the original Transformers cartoon, various Trek ones (including several of my own designs), a low-poly Moya from Farscape, a coloney ship from Anne McCaffrey's Dragonrider's of Pern saga... I think it's safe to say that I model what ever takes my fancy.

At the moment I have two main WIPs that my energy are going into, A take on Todd Guenther's Ingram Class, and my own Wolf Class.

gmd3d March 30th, 2009 07:31 AM

cool ,, damn shame about the fire .. would have like to have seen some images :)

jayru March 30th, 2009 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taranis (Post 260450)
cool ,, damn shame about the fire .. would have like to have seen some images :)

Have just uploaded the only two I have to the gallery on here ;-)

gmd3d March 30th, 2009 09:06 AM

Thanks I have just seen them .. great work :)

Mircea April 3rd, 2009 07:11 AM

Hello all,

Im Mircea Ive been around but Ive been pretty silent. Not much of a talker but Ill try to change that. I use Poser 7, vue 4, Bryce 6 and a few others.

Badploy May 11th, 2009 01:24 PM

Been here some time earlier but didnt really have the confidence to stand up and pitch in. I have been working on my skills base, so I can be fluent in 3D development and Work procedures. I think I can confidently state that even without an extensive portfolio I can hold my own with this great hobby.

Glad to make all yer acquaintances Folks. Here's to the Future... Whatever it turns out to be.

evil_genius_180 May 11th, 2009 09:01 PM

Welcome. I did the same thing for a while back in the day. I didn't join but I "lurked" around a few of the forums. One thing I found after I joined was that my skills grew by leaps and bounds after I had people on the forums giving me advice and whatnot. In hindsight, I wish I'd joined sooner. ;)

So, no matter what you think of your skills, go ahead and post some work. There are plenty of talented people around here to give you pointers and I'm sure you skills will start growing quickly also. :storm:

Badploy May 12th, 2009 01:10 PM

Thanks for the Warm Welcome. I don't have anything to post yet..

Not really sure how to proceed, as time is the key factor to consider at this moment for me. But I will be keeping a keen interest in these forums.

DK1701 May 13th, 2009 05:53 AM

Hi gang,

Just hooked up with this community yesterday (what a discovery!) and I can't wait to get involved.

I use 3ds Max pretty casually, mostly doing Trek images and such. I'm definitely new at it, and am still learning all the neat little functions.

gmd3d May 13th, 2009 11:14 AM

welcome aboard

Micaelus May 14th, 2009 12:02 PM

Hi folks.

I've been following various Star Trek fan projects involving varying degrees of 3D animation or modeling and the like for some time and have supported such efforts before. I'm always excited to find new communities doing interesting and artful things.

As for my own 3D experience and interest, it's fairly narrow. I'm a member of a community of modders for the Civilization series of games (CivFanatics.com) and use 3D modelling and animation to create new units for play in alt-history strategy games. I'm currently working on creating a series of Star Trek figures for a modded game set in the Star Trek universe, rather than on Earth. I use Poser to set up the figures and do the animation. Unfortunately I've not yet developed any skill with modelling.

gmd3d May 14th, 2009 12:52 PM

welcome aboard and lets see some art .. we have many different artists here like yourself
some done model .. me I model and rarely do any art

gmd3d December 3rd, 2010 02:25 AM

New Introduction Thread

This is our new Introduction thread for new members

If you have signed in why not introduce yourself and tell us what your interested in.

Like..

I am call myself Taranis and I am a Lightwave user
I grew up watching star trek and I was inspired to do render images and models because of that . but I consider myself to be more of a modeller now.

Welcome aboard :)

gmd3d December 4th, 2010 07:25 AM

Re: New Introduction Thread

Come on . new members .. say hello :)

:biggrin:

Tell us what your interest are and program ..... what you would like to see here and what direction you want to take your hobby to if your a modeller or artist(renderer)

:nervous:

gmd3d December 7th, 2010 07:10 AM

Re: New Introduction Thread

there have been new members arriving and no one is introducing themselves ..
come on say hello!! .... donĀ“t just join for the models ..... contribute to the site by participating in it.

with your ideas and your Art.

If you need help to get started .. perhaps we can help or find your then help you need,

:) :)

Arcas December 7th, 2010 11:49 AM

Hi. My name's Rob and I'm... a render junkie.

*waits for monotone group reply of "hiiii rooooooobbb...."*

Taranis nudged me over here. I'm current mostly an illustrator, not a modeler, though that could change in the future if I can get motivated enough to dive into those waters (I've got Hexagon). I illustrate a number of subjects/genres, but SF and Star Trek tends to be a chunk of it. And I'm relatively new to the Trek render scene, though certainly NOT new to Trek. I'm kind of a Trek Fundie, really only giving giving any real credence to TOS/TAS. Hopefully you'll see some of my work pop up here, shortly.

I look forward to exploring the site, meeting the members, and sharing the pixels of of labors.

gmd3d December 7th, 2010 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arcas (Post 262789)
Hi. My name's Rob and I'm... a render junkie.

*waits for monotone group reply of "hiiii rooooooobbb...."*

Taranis nudged me over here. I'm current mostly an illustrator, not a modeler, though that could change in the future if I can get motivated enough to dive into those waters (I've got Hexagon). I illustrate a number of subjects/genres, but SF and Star Trek tends to be a chunk of it. And I'm relatively new to the Trek render scene, though certainly NOT new to Trek. I'm kind of a Trek Fundie, really only giving giving any real credence to TOS/TAS. Hopefully you'll see some of my work pop up here, shortly.

I look forward to exploring the site, meeting the members, and sharing the pixels of of labors.

Yeaaa Welcome aboard mate ..... delighted to see you here ..

I first saw Arcas work and love his work esp for trek art.

welcome aboard mate :)

Arcas December 7th, 2010 12:28 PM

Oh yeah. Forget to mention... my drugs of choice are DAZ Studio and Photoshop. Could I do better? Maybe. But hey - they work for me. And frankly I could probably push DS a lot further if I took time to read the latest manual.

gmd3d December 7th, 2010 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arcas (Post 262793)
Oh yeah. Forget to mention... my drugs of choice are DAZ Studio and Photoshop. Could I do better? Maybe. But hey - they work for me. And frankly I could probably push DS a lot further if I took time to read the latest manual.

cool DAZ .. a program that I know next to nothing about

Fretslayer December 7th, 2010 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arcas (Post 262793)

Well, IMO there is nothing wrong with D|S.
It's an excellent render tool and for price, it can't be beat.
Not to mention that Daz has some really great CG models at very reasonable prices.

While I do not use D|S, I did for a while and that was the reason I upgraded to Carrara. Currently I'm using Carrara 8 Pro.

So, while it may not be the awesome monotone reply you were looking forward to, hello new guy and I look forward to having conversations with a fellow Dazaholic.

:D