3D Gladiators Forums

3D Gladiators Forums (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=337)
-   -   Poser Lighting Question (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21836)

Fretslayer July 6th, 2006 08:23 PM

Poser Lighting Question

Hello there,

I'm sorry if this question if noobish and if it causes anybody to lose I.Q points.

I've been using Poser for a few years but I've only been using it to create people which I would then import into Bryce.

A few months ago I made the leap from Bryce to Max and I've started working on a little Star Trek short for a friend of mine. After seeing the difference between the TOS bridge mesh in MAX and Poser, I've decided to render my bridge scenes in Poser. I imported the MAX version of the TOS Enterprise bridge into Poser however I cannot seem to get the lighting in Poser to illuminate the set. Regardless of how I position the lights I get the creepy "horror film hallway" illumination. Creepy is good... I like creepy... just not when it's on the bridge of the Enterprise.

I know there is something I'm doing wrong - but I can't seem to figure it out and the few Poser tutorials I've found online make no mention of lighting.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated and will result in the restoration of any I.Q points that may have been damaged by reading this post. :jestor:

Kai July 8th, 2006 07:04 PM

what version of Poser are you running?

Fretslayer July 9th, 2006 08:34 AM

I'm running Poser 6.

Kai July 9th, 2006 03:02 PM

hmm okes I can help then :)
(lighing before six is to much of a pain in the ****)
can you post a pic of what your getting and lets see what we can come up with :)

Fretslayer July 9th, 2006 07:00 PM

Here's an image of my 'haunted Enterprise' bridge.
LOL

I'm wondering if perhaps the mesh of the bridge is too small and that if I scale the size up a lot, then the lights will be 'inside' of the bridge. When I check my lights they seem to be above the set that I'm trying to illuminate.

http://www.knology.net/~ironhead/spooky.jpg

evil_genius_180 July 9th, 2006 11:55 PM

I'm no Poser user, but yes, it would make a huge difference if the lights were above your "ceiling." Then said "ceiling" would block said lights and, since that set has "skylights," you'd wind up with something like that with all of those crazy shadows. If you had a bridge with a full ceiling, you'd probably not get any light at all on the bridge itself.

Kai July 10th, 2006 10:05 AM

hmm ok
switch to Pointlights, put them just under the bridge ceiling and turn on raytracing..

also, I'd use 4 lowpowered points (North South East West) starting at about .25 and slowly ramp them up until you get the desired level.

Fretslayer July 10th, 2006 10:16 AM

Thank you both very much.
Kai, I'll try what you suggested and with luck I'll get the results I need.

I'm not used to being stuck during a creative project.
It's nice to know that you can post a question here and not have people call you stupid.

BTW Kai... I like your enhanced Dune quote.

evil_genius_180 July 10th, 2006 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fretslayer
Thank you both very much.
Kai, I'll try what you suggested and with luck I'll get the results I need.

I'm not used to being stuck during a creative project.
It's nice to know that you can post a question here and not have people call you stupid.

BTW Kai... I like your enhanced Dune quote.

Remember, the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked. And, we won't allow people to get by with calling people stupid for asking a question, even if they wanted to. It goes against everything this forum stands for. We're here to help, not belittle someone who is seeking advice. :alien:

Fretslayer July 10th, 2006 12:46 PM

Thank you both, very much.
Kai, that 'pointlight' did the trick.

I'm at a loss for words other than 'Thank you'.

When I am finished with my animation I'll be sure to share it with you if you'd like.

evil_genius_180 July 11th, 2006 09:30 AM

Ugh, animation. :( I'm sort of low-tech, slow internet connection and all, so I wouldn't mind seeing some still shots. Animations just take a huge bite out of my ass when I download. However, I'm sure some other users would love to see the animation. :)

Fretslayer July 11th, 2006 09:34 AM

Well, when I do an animation I always make 1 version that's a high compression WMV file so people with slower connections can still check it out. I'll still make some screen shots available for you though.
When it's finished it will be something like 20-25 minutes in length.

evil_genius_180 July 11th, 2006 12:48 PM

Cool. I like screenshots. :D One of these days, I might invest in a faster connection, after I invest in a better computer. ;)

stevo August 12th, 2006 10:55 AM

I have been using poser and 6 for quite a while now and even though i have never released any final renders to the public i have gone back to some of my "old" stuff to do some lighting work with the way described above in similar scenes.
I think i might be that little bit happier now about showing them off :D

Hell its good to know there are people who dont mind answering noobish questions and making someones lives a little easier and less frustrating