3D Gladiators Forums

3D Gladiators Forums (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/index.php)
-   Viewer On! (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=503)
-   -   Star Wars Ep III (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21252)

Darrell Lawrence May 19th, 2005 07:53 PM

Star Wars Ep III

Who's seen it, and what did you think of it?

General Phoenix May 19th, 2005 11:32 PM

I just got back from seeing it, and I thought it was easily the best of the prequels.

There are a few parts (very few) that seemed a bit corny, but overall, it's the darkest of the films - it has to be, when you consider all the horrible things that have to happen in it.

And most importantly, it does a pretty good job of tying into episodes 4 thru 6.

Script-wise, there was a lot of dialog that I would have changed, but I have to say it was still a damned good flick.

moovok May 20th, 2005 02:50 AM

I saw it at 9:00am in the morning. It was great. How Anakin turned over to the dark side I thought was a bit quick and the ending was like they were trying to tie up loose ends, which I didn't particularly like, but apart from that, it was quite good, I may watch it again before it disappears from the screen.

Darrell Lawrence May 20th, 2005 08:37 AM

Spoiler
Vader is a clone!

Just kidding.

dfalconet May 20th, 2005 09:51 AM

I have not seen the movie but I did get to see a pre-show. People camped out on the sidewalks of Main St. in Bishop, Calif. of all places, just waiting for StarWars III to open. That was a show all it's own.

I have lived here since 1954 and have NEVER see a sight like that in this area. Publicity for this movie really did it's job!

Proximo May 20th, 2005 11:04 AM

I'm getting more than a little hyped up about this. If I get the chance, I'll see it this weekend. Or perhaps monday... I just hope I don't have to stand in a huge queue to get there.

Is it true that Vader is Luke's father? ;)

Darrell Lawrence May 20th, 2005 11:14 AM

Spoiler
Yoda is Anikins father, while The Emperor is the Vader clones poppa!

moovok May 20th, 2005 12:38 PM

Spoiler
Palpatine kills Mace Windu. You shouldn't read all spoilers thinking they're not :P

Titon May 20th, 2005 05:25 PM

Haven't seen it yet.

One of my employees and i almost hit the noon showing today but i guess we had to work.

hehe

p.s. Cargile May 21st, 2005 11:46 PM

The worst part of EpIII is the existance of Ep 4, 5, and 6. The original trilogy is the ultimate spoiler.
I loved the hell out it. I especially loved Obi-wan's using Anakin's impatience and lust for vengence to defeat him. Obi-wan even had the decency to warn him.

moovok May 22nd, 2005 03:21 PM

I was reading the script for it, they cut out two important scenes which I think would have been good to show the progression of Anakin turning to the dark side and the whole Qui-Jon storyline that just popped up at the end.

Jar-Jar (his only speaking part), Palpatine and Anakin are talking. Jar Jar says hello, but that's it, but Palpatine says that Obi-Wan shouldn't go on the mission because it's rumoured he fancies a Senate, a FEMALE Senate, which gives Anakin suspicions of Obi-Wan and Padme cause next he has the dream with Obi-Wan above Padme.

Also, Yoda is contacted by Qui-Jon, voice over only, and it's there we learn that the force can be harnessed beyond death...

Proximo May 22nd, 2005 03:32 PM

Well I've seen it now. I didn't care for the political editorialising that Lucas seemed determined to stick in... "Oh, democracy! Democracy is dead! Waaa! I hate the republicans! I mean, I hate the empire!" That said, it was a bloody good film. Almost on a par with the originals. A bit rough in places, a bit unbalanced, probably due to timing cuts, but very, very good.

I didn't have any empathy for Padmé though. None at all. Somehow she just wasn't interesting.

SeanP May 24th, 2005 09:40 AM

I saw it yesterday afternoon.
Overall it was a great movie.
The big battle scene at the beginning was incredible.
I was sitting there saying to myself "holy sh*t which part do I watch" because there was so much going on on the screen.
You could watch the battle scene 20 times and still not see everything.
I thought that Anakin's transition to the dark side was a little quick as well.
One thing is for sure the light sabre battles in the prequils are a million times better than the battles in the original trilogy.
I watched part of A New Hope the other night on TV and I saw the battle between Obi Wan and Darth Vader in the hanger of the death star and I thought "What a frickin' joke."
It looked really really really bad.

Proximo May 24th, 2005 10:49 AM

Perhaps they were out of practice.

Ryoken3D May 24th, 2005 01:11 PM

Wouldn't have taken much skill or fancy moves to take down a stormie with a saber.. They just got old and slow ;)

I just saw it, I though it was great, and didn't find it too overly political, given we knew before hand that the senate was gonna vote themselves into irrilvence ..

Can't wait for I/II/III DVD Box set :D

Ryoken

p.s. Cargile June 4th, 2005 12:59 AM

As far as political inspiration, I always thought it followed the Roman Empire. GL says in many of the documentaries that the Veitnam War was an influence, at least in the area of agrians defeating technilogicals. The backstory of the fall of the Republic was crafted during the writing stages of the first movie so I doubt current events were much of an influence. We can draw parallels, but I think they are coincidental.

choochst June 4th, 2005 08:09 AM

i thought it was the best of ALL of them except EMPIRE, i mean,you can't compare the characters, these movies are backstory fillers, the interactions and personalities ofn the originals are the best bar none, but as far as if you take this flick and look at it on it's own merits, not as so much "comparison"to the rest, the pace, style, action, darkness, and effects blew me away.

and FINALLY! some lightsaber duels that did not take over an hour because everyon e was so damned skilled! LOL!

the characters in these prequals were written poorly, wooden, lacking of personality, natalie portman had to struggle to make Padme someone we will miss, and jar jar...did he even HAVE to drop him in, even for one quick scene?

Sitting Duck June 5th, 2005 10:08 AM

Well if it wouldn't have been for that fantastic lightsaber duell between Obi-wan and Anakin I would have been more dissapointed. Padme's role was degraded to that of worried housewife and some of the flat attempts of humor just didn't fit. Episodes 1-3 live from pure action and special effects but they dearly miss the charm and heart of episodes 4-5 which I grew up with. Nevertheless episode 3 completes the story and is a must have seen.

jbroneske June 6th, 2005 07:43 AM

Jar Jar is the lamest Star Wars character ever. I was hoping he wouldn't be in this episode, as they only had him in AOC briefly and to make him a senator was just plain stupid.

nezhdan June 8th, 2005 08:39 AM

The original three were far superior. I didn't really enjoy any of the new ones unfortunately. But maybe that's just me. :/

Mythos June 9th, 2005 08:46 AM

One morning when going to school by train I heard some guy say: "[...], but I never would've thought that Anakin was Darth Vader..." :wtf:

Darrell Lawrence June 9th, 2005 12:32 PM

Sounds like the deal where you just do not tell your blonde date the Titanic sinks in the movie ;)

shugotenshi June 12th, 2005 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbroneske
Jar Jar is the lamest Star Wars character ever. I was hoping he wouldn't be in this episode, as they only had him in AOC briefly and to make him a senator was just plain stupid.

Actually I was kinda hoping they would put him in the movie for a death scene...

shugotenshi June 12th, 2005 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanP
The big battle scene at the beginning was incredible.
I was sitting there saying to myself "holy sh*t which part do I watch" because there was so much going on on the screen.
You could watch the battle scene 20 times and still not see everything.

I agree, that's why I can't wait for the dvd just to rewatch that battle.

martok2112 June 12th, 2005 04:16 PM

Well, I loved SW Episode III...it just edged out Empire Strikes Back as my favorite Star Wars film....but only just.

The lightsaber fights are simply beautiful. The music "Battle of the Heroes" during the climactic final battle between Anakin and Obi-Wan (with hints of Duel of the Fates with Yoda and the Emperor) really set it off for me.

I love how this movie played like a buddy flick at the beginning, with the banter between Obi-Wan and Anakin. Reminded me of the Lethal Weapon movies sometimes.

Eagerly awaiting this movie on DVD in November.

Respectfully,
Martok2112

Darrell Lawrence June 12th, 2005 04:22 PM

DVD in November? Cool.

There's a couple of birthdays to keep in mind for that time frame-

3DG turns 5 and my birthday :D

General Phoenix June 12th, 2005 04:24 PM

I agree about the "buddy film" aspect near the beginning. Acting-wise, that was the best part.

I hope that kind of interplay is used in the upcoming TV series, assuming it actually gets made.

martok2112 June 12th, 2005 04:28 PM

I think a lot of the acting improved in this installment as well.

Gotta admit, many scenes in there sent chills up my spine. If they could've taken THIS movie, expanded on it, and made it into three episodes....THAT would've been the ultimate prequel trilogy.

Respectfully,
Martok2112

martok2112 June 12th, 2005 04:58 PM

If there's one thing that this movie series proves is that cornball screams of denial run in the Skywalker family. :D

Irreverently,
Martok2112

McAfee2000 June 14th, 2005 02:41 PM

Star Wars III

The movie was great. A great deal to take in, and I want the DVD when it comes out. There was just too much to see. Yes the acting was okay, but the visuals are outstanding.