3D Gladiators Forums

3D Gladiators Forums (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Help Zone (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=494)
-   -   Free 3D Programs "To which to learn with" (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22681)

Fretslayer October 15th, 2008 09:46 AM

Re: Free 3D Programs "To which to learn with"

How about GMax?
It's sort of the 'little brother' to 3DsMax. I used it back when I first cut my CG teeth and it was pretty good. I just took a look and it's no longer supported by either Discreet or Autodesk but I did find a working download link. In it's time GMax was used by a lot of people who were making custom skins and other things for their games. For a beginner looking to get into MAX this program is a pretty good place to start. Also, modeling with it is very simple stuff.

http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax

gmd3d October 15th, 2008 12:18 PM

Added .. I was going to look for the link today .. you saved me the time :)

Fretslayer October 15th, 2008 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taranis (Post 256006)
Added .. I was going to look for the link today .. you saved me the time :)

Happy to help.
It was a bit of a trick to find it.
Since it's no longer supported I had to look through a few sites.
I had one site but I got a bad feeling about it as I've never been to it before and I don't want anybody to download something that could have 'someting extra' attached to it. Then it hit me - TurboSquid.com has tons of MAX goodies and as luck would have it they're still hosting the file. I've purchased meshes from them before and they're a 'safe' site to download an exe file from.

UrbanArmitage October 15th, 2008 11:29 PM

Hmm, you've given me an idea Fretslayer. Teranis, if we start providing you with links do you feel like setting up a couple of lists like this for free and commercial mesh, texture and related 3D assets sites?

UA

gmd3d October 16th, 2008 12:00 AM

It will have to checked with warrior, on the Models commercial side. I don't see a problem.

My orignal thinking was for the free Programs to have a single thread to reference and
encourage people new to modelling or interested in it. to join up and start a model or Render a picture.

3D asset sites. Models, Textures, Plugins would go with that. I know I am always lookingfor a neat plugin for LW.. and there are some sweet ones out there.

so I'll wait until warrior or any of the big cheeses give a go on the commercial side..

UrbanArmitage October 16th, 2008 03:11 AM

Gotcha. No problem, i'll keep an eye on this thread and if they give us the go-ahead i'll start feeding you with links. :biggrin:

UA

gmd3d October 16th, 2008 03:19 AM

Cool . I will possibly create a new thread for that and you can post there.. I'll let you know when..

Thanks for the help .. there are a number of website for learning programs .. these could be included..

darkwing_duck1a October 19th, 2008 02:44 AM

http://www.doga.co.jp/english/software/index.html

Free if you are content with the "locked" version that only allows still renders. ~$40 if you want the full version.

NOT a "geometry up" program...it uses a parts box of pre-generated shapes and textures. Still, it's easy enough to use and good for the "causal" modeller who doesn't mind that he's not going to get ZOIC or ILM quality results.

gmd3d October 19th, 2008 02:53 AM

That's an interesting one .. I will added it to the top list

darkwing_duck1a October 19th, 2008 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taranis (Post 256197)
That's an interesting one .. I will added it to the top list

If you want to see an example of it's output, check out my "Rag tag fleet" thread I just started...

Forgot to add, the version you want for the most parts, textures, etc is L3...

Fretslayer October 21st, 2008 05:36 PM

For those of you using Poser or Daz products, Michael 4 (base) is being given away free at the Daz website. You have to register but it's well worth the time. M4 - FREE!

:)

Kai October 21st, 2008 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fretslayer (Post 256435)
For those of you using Poser or Daz products, Michael 4 (base) is being given away free at the Daz website. You have to register but it's well worth the time. M4 - FREE!

:)

and a Eunuch. (his....Appendage is payfor... SO MANY JOKES!!!)

Fretslayer October 21st, 2008 06:44 PM

Well, I guess if it's that ...er... big of a deal (HA!) you can always use the 'appendage' from M3. It's pretty easy to place it anywhere you need to.
You should see the 'Mind Flayer' I once made.
LOL!

gmd3d October 22nd, 2008 01:28 AM

I got M4 .. I will have to learn how to add to poser.. what goes where ??

UrbanArmitage October 22nd, 2008 03:35 AM

Taranis, when you run the M4 installation make sure that you are running the 11.5 Meg file. The other 2 are specifically for Daz Studio and contain the Power Loader and materials for DS.

Once you have run the installer and gotten through the legal waffle, when it asks you for a 'Target application' select 'Poser - all files' and continue. Next it will ask you for the destination directory. Just like with V4 you have to install M4 to the directory that contains your Poser.exe executable file. This will be something like 'C:\Program Files\MetaCreations\Poser' or 'C:\Program Files\e-frontier\Poser'. Just use Windows Explorer to check where you installed it to.

If you are using Poser 7 Pro (and I know you are using Poser 5 atm Taranis :) ) you will need to make sure that you have a file called Poser.exe in your Poser directory. Daz have had some major problems getting some of the advanced figure features to work anywhere outside of the main Poser directory, so they try to force you to use the Poser install path by looking for this file called Poser.exe. The problem is that with Poser 7 Pro they changed the file name to PoserPro.exe which breaks the Daz installer. Stupid I know.

What you do to get around this is simply create a text file with nothing in it and save it to the Poser 7 Pro installation directory. Then rename it to Poser.exe which lets the Daz installer work properly. Nasty hack but a functional work-around.

Good luck and give me a shout if you are stuck. :)

UA

Fretslayer October 22nd, 2008 04:49 AM

What he said.

LOL!

On a side note, if either of you were using Carrara Pro 6 you'd never even look at Poser again. :D

gmd3d October 22nd, 2008 05:10 AM

Thanks UrbanArmitage.. I am trying that ..

I will have a look at Carrara Fretslayer:)

gmd3d October 22nd, 2008 05:13 AM

$549 for Carrara Pro 6 .. not at the moment :)

Kai October 22nd, 2008 05:15 AM

"The problem is that with Poser 7 Pro they changed the file name to PoserPro.exe which breaks the Daz installer. Stupid I know."

Daz still haven't fixed their installer? figures.. typical daz....

as for carrara... I tried... I really did... but god how can anyone get anything done in that? the way it works is totally twisted...

evil_genius_180 October 22nd, 2008 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taranis (Post 256493)
I got M4 ..

I used to carry an M4 when I was in the Army. :laugh: :D :nervous: :shock: :tongue: :nonono:

*runs*