3D Gladiators Forums

3D Gladiators Forums (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/index.php)
-   Viewer On! (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=503)
-   -   New Enterprise revealed (Spoiler) (https://www.3dgladiators.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22823)

Darrell Lawrence November 11th, 2008 06:09 PM

New Enterprise revealed (Spoiler)

Spoilers: http://denofgeek.com/movies/144620/s..._reviewed.html

The new design: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/1448..._revealed.html

I am getting less and less "impressed" with this each time I hear/see something new about it.

mcmiller November 11th, 2008 07:56 PM

Re: New Enterprise revealed (Spoiler)

I having a hard time making sense of all these excerpted teases... I can't really tell if they make any connection to Kirk's later (canon) assignment to the Farragut or if they if they're just going to let a cadet begin assuming command of a starship.

evil_genius_180 November 11th, 2008 08:54 PM

That ugly thing is all over the forums. I was just trying not to hurl all over my monitor & keyboard while looking at the image on another forum.

gmd3d November 12th, 2008 01:41 AM

Man I will give that a mis .. The cast change is one thing .. but that redesign is a travesty of biblical proportions ......

the very people they want are old fans .. ie Me and you. and the take the Big E .. and turn it in to ERRRAHHH!!!!!! .. (INSERT WORD HERE)

Thomas P November 12th, 2008 08:59 AM

Blows serious chunks -

evil_genius_180 November 12th, 2008 09:43 AM

Redesigning the ship is one thing (I guess most people would have guessed I'd say that ;)) but you have to do it tastefully. Gabe's and Madkoifish's redesigned Enterprises are tastefully done and you can at least identify with them and see elements of the original ship in them. There's nothing in that movie design that came from the original ship (except maybe the general design but even that has drastically changed.) The saucer is about straight out of TMP and the secondary hull and nacelles are just plain FUGLY and are like nothing done on any Trek.

Fretslayer November 12th, 2008 10:26 AM

NO! NO! NO,NONONONO!!!!!

WTF?!!?

NO!

With all of the other 'reimagined' versions out there, why did they go with 'that' design?!
Geeze, once again I have to say there are people here who have made ships better than that ...that... thing.

evil_genius_180 November 12th, 2008 10:32 AM

It looks like J.J. gave a piece of paper and some crayons to a very young child and said "here, draw me a picture of the Enterprise" and then used that as the base for the design. I'll say one thing for it, though, it fits with that FUGLY bridge set. They're both so unfreakingbelievably horrible that they have to go together.

Zoxesyr November 12th, 2008 10:52 PM

It took me a while of thinking, and now I have a better handle on why I am torn over this model.

The execution is professional, I have no complaints about that.

My feeling is that it seems to represent several different designs kind of bashed together. The seemingly TOS saucer section doesn't really match the STNG secondary hull and the ENT nacelles.

Are they trying to appease the fans? or just be "cool" ? or something else?

It's kinda weird being jerked in several directions at once.

evil_genius_180 November 12th, 2008 11:17 PM

I'm trying to like it but I can't get past the "neck" or nacelle pylons. They're just fugly. Plus, the deflector dish is too far forward giving the front of the engineering hull a pregnant look. And there doesn't appear to be much room in the back for a shuttlebay. (I'm just glad that Tallguy over at 3DSciFi pointed out that the fugly thing on the side is in fact a shuttle, so that part actually makes more sense now.) The nacelles are actually kinda cool and the saucer is a basic TMP saucer. I just can't get past that engineering hull, it's all whacked out and that has nothing to do with how the original looked. And I even like redesigns, I just don't like this one.

gmd3d November 13th, 2008 05:55 AM

Looking at it again .. looks to me like the Enterprise blended with something from the Jetsons

Fretslayer November 13th, 2008 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taranis (Post 257884)
Looking at it again .. looks to me like the Enterprise blended with something from the Jetsons

Looking at it again... It looks to me like the Enterprise blended with something from the 'out house'.

:laugh:

gmd3d November 13th, 2008 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fretslayer (Post 257885)
Looking at it again... It looks to me like the Enterprise blended with something from the 'out house'.

what a stinker :laugh::laugh:

Fretslayer November 13th, 2008 08:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm serious... I really don't like it.
Maybe it'll look good from some other angle but from this shot - No Sir, I don't like it.
I've seen two reimagined versions of the ship online that smoke this 'official' one.

One them is found right here!

For the first time in a Trek movie I'll be hoping there is a scene where it gets blown to bits.

gmd3d November 13th, 2008 09:01 AM

yeah that a good one .. or the other could be Madkoifish

gmd3d November 13th, 2008 09:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The other could be this .. bot excellent models that keep the sprite of the classic ship

Fretslayer November 13th, 2008 09:24 AM

Yah, that is a beautiful mesh as well.
Either of these ships would have worked much better (IMO) than the one they're going to use.

Oh well, that's why they get paid the big bucks and I don't.

evil_genius_180 November 14th, 2008 10:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm sure this is nowhere near being official (that crap we've already seen probably is, unless that was an earlier version and they're frakking with us) but someone posted this not-too-hateful revision at the Phase II forums. The engineering hull has been beefed up and doesn't stick out so far forward, plus it has proper stripes and red bussards. This is a model I wouldn't mind seeing in the movie. It's a lot better than the "official" release photo, IMO.

Fretslayer November 14th, 2008 10:45 AM

With the bussards being red the nacells have the look like the rear end of some sort of 52 plymouth or something.

Like one of those cars you see in the family photo album from the mid 50s.

So I guess they were going for a retro-car look?
I saw on one post somebody called it the 'Edsleprise' and had little thumbnail images of how this part and that part looked like old cars. I'm not sure if it was funny or sad but it seemed like they were on to something.

gmd3d November 14th, 2008 10:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
go this from http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/

I still done like it I have to say .. its just not the enterprise for me

Fretslayer November 14th, 2008 11:06 AM

When I see that Enterprise...
I fart in it's general direction!
If they don't redesign it, I will taunt it a second time!
Thttttpt!

Kai November 14th, 2008 07:12 PM

http://io9.com/5088091/first-glimpse...r-trek-trailer

the only thing I like... Peg as Scotty....

gmd3d November 15th, 2008 05:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I got this from the scene on that clip following the link you posted Kai..

look more like the orignal one than what been posted

Kai November 15th, 2008 06:26 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0WNPb8R-40 more complete version...

gmd3d November 15th, 2008 07:27 AM

thanks Kai ..