View Single Post
Old December 1st, 2002, 10:52 PM   #203
Haggus

Vector, I have a question regarding the grids in your saucer. I didn't build mine in sections as you did, but as one whole saucer. In trying to emulate the way you did your grid lines, I selected edges for the radial lines and concentric circles using Alan's drawings as a guide. Then, I chamfered those edges slightly to give the grid lines their desired width. I then chose all of the new polys that were created during the aforementioned process (i.e. all of the polys which now make the grid), gave them a unique material ID, and then applied a texture slightly darker than what was applied to the remaining polys (i.e. those polys not chosen as grid lines). My problem is that the grids are not smoothed with the rest of the hull itself and appear "pinched" somewhat wherever there is a lot ofcurvature to the hull (e.g. near the top and on the underside where it curves at the neck pylon).

I've tried selecting all of the effected polys (grid & non-grid) and playing with smoothing groups to no avail. Any suggestions?