View Single Post
Old February 23rd, 2011, 12:03 AM   #10
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Default Re: Firefly returning to cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgep View Post
Firefly was a victim of the Fox programming mentality that if it wasn't an instant hit, you can it quick.
It was worse than that. Fox didn't like the 2-hour pilot episode Serenity. They thought it was too slow and wouldn't draw people in. So, they had Joss Whedon make The Train Job and aired that first as the "pilot," even though it wasn't the pilot and shouldn't have been aired first. Serenity explained mostly who everyone was and why they were on the ship, The Train Job didn't. After that, they purposefully aired the episodes in a jumbled order so that the more action-packed episodes were first because they thought that was what people wanted. But that didn't make sense to anybody because, even though the series wasn't a continuing story, there were things that carried over from episode to episode. So, they basically set the series up for failure right from the start.

Fortunately, I was in the US Army and deployed to Afghanistan at the time and missed the whole run of the series on Fox. Then, a few years ago, after Warrior told me about the series, I tried it on DVD. This was fortunate because I got to watch them in their intended order and it makes sense. I'm glad for that because it's one of the best Sci-Fi series ever made, IMO, much better than Whedon's other shows.