View Single Post
Old October 23rd, 2001, 12:27 PM   #12
Thomas P
TOS Gladiator Manager

Dedicated MAX 2.5 user (because I can't afford an upgrade and I don't want to learn how to use LW )

Material settings? Hmmm.. hard to answer because I can take the question too many ways. I tend to rely a lot on maps applied to multi/sub-object mesh elements. The various individual 'slots' tend to each have either blend or mix textures. It can be hard to track it all and of course each model has it's own unique set of textures.

As far as settings go I tend to deviate from trends. I have read numerous tutorials from folks on the web and in some MAX books. The texture settings are all for or are derived from real-world imagery. That is, textures that would exist because of weather, light and environmental conditions. These approaches work great on cars, planes, buildings and people. I just don't think they work great on spacecraft. I look at NASA photos and never see all that detail that gets crammed into Enterprise's A, B, C, D, E.......

I like to leave the specular at about a value of 25 and the shine at 5. I will then play around when I figure out what the material really is. If it can wear or be effected by light (bear metal vs soft rubber) then I modify the settings or soften or add spec maps.

Is the answer in there?

"That which does not kill me simply postpones the inevitable"

My Site

My Blog
Thomas P is offline   Reply With Quote