View Single Post
Old January 6th, 2004, 10:14 AM   #2
moovok
Your Friendly Neighbourhood Moderator

I must agree with Chris, then sites, just by looking at them, are appealing to me, and I don't even do 3D Art. Maybe we need a new overhaul of everything, look, etc. Include news, new art work (front page - not a frame, having thumbnails of the 3 most recent images), new meshes (again, on the front page, thumbnails of the 3 most recent images as well). News could have a small team doing it, doing certain areas - lightwave, max, etc. (I've only learned those two). Leave contests for the time being, but have it on the "FUTURE" list, when everything else looks good.

Being a web designer myself, I have a few ideas, from what I'd like to see, but also getting a few ideas from just the thumbnails from those sites. I see a HUGE 3D Gladiator's LOGO at the top, spanning the entire top. Though! It appears there if you're browser is 800 x 600, or 1024, etc. etc. No, it doesn't grow, it just appears to be fine no matter what aspect you look at it from.

Coming down from that main logo, you have a side panel which have your option buttons (roll over - more effect), that can lead you into the forums, news, download center, art gallery.

In the middle, you have the date in groovy 3D Writing (whether images, or just normal text, I'd go with graphics first, but then you have to consider those people who can't handle a lot of graphics loading up). Underneath has the TOP 3 MESHES or RECENT MESHES, with the three images below, showing the three meshes in action, underneath each image, the date and what format (.3ds, lightwave, etc.). Underneath that, RECENT ARTWORK, showing the three greatest artwork, underneath each image, the date they were done, and the artist.

Underneath this, about five headlines of recent news titles. EG: (remember british dates, not American dates here, so it's not every 2 months we do a news item).

6/1: Lightwave Merges with Spandex!
4/1: 3D Max to get New Edition
4/1: Battlestar Galatica - Unleashed [Part 2 of a 4 Part Series]

To the right of the main screen, newest member, birthdays, login screen (if not already logged in), or Hello moovok at the top. Search button, to find certain things quicker, it'll search through the forums, news, gallery AND download center.

Now, that's only in a few minutes of thinking how to redesign 3DG.
moovok is offline   Reply With Quote