View Single Post
Old January 7th, 2004, 09:46 PM   #18
General Phoenix
3DG Administrator Emeritus

I'm intrigued by something that Ricktu mentioned - the filmmaking / storytelling aspect of 3D artwork. They say that a picture is worth 1,000 words, and being a writer myself, I've often found that a certain photo or image will inspire me to write. I think perhaps the opposite may also be true - that the ideas for a series of images could come from a piece of writing.

If we were to gather the sci-fi writers at 3DG together to write a set of related short stories, then get the modellers to work together on bringing those stories to life visually, I think we'd be onto something truly unique. Both groups would be inspired by, and be an inspiration to the other group.

This would give ALL of our resident artists a way to contribute - the modellers could make the ships, planets, and cities; the 2D artists could be creating conceptual drawings for the modellers, as well as illustrating more character-driven moments; the film-makers among us could even get some friends together to shoot some live-action scenes which the Video Editors could piece together. And the stories could be kept short, or split into chapters, to make the whole project more manageable.

There would still be room for General Discussions and Non-Film Artwork, but this could be something that really sets the place apart from all the other sites. A series of real short films, complete with characters and plot development, all written, modelled, and edited by 3DG members.

I've already got several ideas for stories, as I've been working on a few screenplays set in a near-future Sci-Fi universe.

The more I think about this, the better an idea it seems. The one thing that all artists would love to do is to make a living in their artistic field - by showcasing our combined talents is this way, we could all get some exposure while making 3DG a place that people look forward to visiting.
General Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote